Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the threads here, I opted to go with a D3S conversion since it's basically plug-and-play. I baked the headlights in my last car and never got them sealed back up all the way and don't feel like repeating that experience. I'm also not crazy about cutting apart the assemblies either. The only downside I see is that the more specialty bulbs (Like Osram CBI's) seem limited to D1S and D2S, but I suppose that's the sacrifice for going with a PnP .

I ordered the ballasts here. They are Osram OEM ballasts designed for the Euro Focus, which uses a D3S system.

For bulbs, I went with Blesk 5000K H3S bulbs ordered from hidconcept.com. I will say, now that they're installed, I'm not completely sold on them. They're definitely a shade cooler, but the light output isn't much better for being at least another 1000 lumen over a D8S Bulb. They're rated at 3000 lumen instead of the typical 3200 lumen of a Phillips D3S, so I expected them to be a tad dimmer. I've ordered a set of Phillips D3S to compare, since I can't return the Blesks (see below).

So without further ado...the pic show:

BallastComparison.jpg
25w Ballast vs 35w Ballast

BallastLabelComparison.jpg
Label Comparison

BallastPortComparison.jpg
Note difference in connectors

Blesk D3S vs OEM D8S - 2 by adfrost81, on Flickr

Blesk D3S vs OEM D8S - 5 by adfrost81, on Flickr
Note the different location of the notch on the Blesk base. This appears to be a "type C" base, but it doesn't line up with the notch on the D8S collar. So it's not entirely plug & play. It appears Ford/Osram designed another style base for the D8S. I got around this by dremeling the notch to be larger (which if why I can't return them now).

Projector Bulb Collar by adfrost81, on Flickr
Note the location of the "pin" to prevent you from using the wrong type of bulb.

LightPatternComparison.jpg
Blesk 5000K D3S top vs OEM D8S bottom

The cutoff has a nice blue/purple hue to it that's rather pleasant. Still blurry though, I assume due to the lens being not being as crystal clear as other lenses. I have not done any other mods at this point to make that better.

Road Light Pattern - 1 by adfrost81, on Flickr

Road Light Pattern - 2 by adfrost81, on Flickr

Road Light Pattern - 3 by adfrost81, on Flickr

All in all...I can't tell a HUGE difference between D8S and D3S, but the jury is still out until I can compare to an OEM standard Phillips D3S Bulb. I also have not aimed them either, so that could be part of it too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
This is the route I want to go - mostly PnP. Thanks for your frank comments....all to often we want to realize gains after putting bucks and effort into projects.

I'll be watching to see if aiming and then Phillips bulbs are more to your liking.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The perception of brightness is logarithmic so without a doubling of lumens your eyes will only see a small increase in brightness.

Not going to get into all that physics of light BS though, the color change would be enough to make me want to do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts