Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my Fiesta is now on its way to the dealer via tow truck because the clutch literally exploded in my driveway today. Yes, it's a manual. There were absolutely no signs of this coming. The clutch has always worked perfectly, it's always grabbed just like it came out of the dealer and I've never felt any shuttering, noises or anything strange.

In the warranty manual the only thing that it mentions is the clutch "lining," which they don't cover. Now, since I know that the clutch linings are ok, wouldn't it be covered under the warranty? I'm just really nervous that they're going to give me a hard time about it, especially since I know it's not my fault but I'm going to have a hard time trying to prove it. I really don't want to pay for a new clutch on a car with 17k miles on it.

I need a beer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Only 17k miles? How old? If it's in that 3 year/36000mile warranty time frame you should have nothing to worry about as everything should be covered. Most likely there was probably some defect in the clutch, stress fractures or something and when they went, well they went.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's only a little more than a year old... I've never heard of a clutch destroying itself in that little of time (unless it was abused).

Most likely there was probably some defect in the clutch, stress fractures or something and when they went, well they went.
That was my conclusion as well... The 110-degree/100% humidity weather we're having couldn't have help as well (although it would have made the material more ductile, the thermal elongation probably wouldn't have helped)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Yeah, in any case I doubt you have much to worry about. It's a Fiesta, I highly doubt that motor puts out enough torque to do that to a perfectly normal clutch.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's what I thought too... It barely has enough torque to get up my driveway in second, lol.

BTW, my loaner car just happens to be a new Focus. LOVE IT! There's so much more room... it's very comfortable and it handles even better than my Fiesta. Just think, if the SE focus with 16" steel rims and econo tires handles this well, I can only imagine what the ST will be like
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
Yeah, that's what I thought too... It barely has enough torque to get up my driveway in second, lol.

BTW, my loaner car just happens to be a new Focus. LOVE IT! There's so much more room... it's very comfortable and it handles even better than my Fiesta. Just think, if the SE focus with 16" steel rims and econo tires handles this well, I can only imagine what the ST will be like
I'm surprised it broke so soon... hopefully the ST has a nicer clutch :p.

Is your Focus a hatch or sedan?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a hatch! I'll take some pictures soon. Definitely enough headroom for a sunroof and I still fit relatively comfortably with the rear seats folded flat (you do have to scootch up the seats a bit, though.

You guys are a lot more positive than the Fiesta forum... they're basically telling me "good luck" and that's about it, lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update! Just got a call from my dealer. They told me there's a 95% chance that it will be covered, considering what I told them and from their initial inspection. The reason for the 5% is if Ford wanted to escalate it to involve their engineering team(Kinda like Edward Norton's character in Fight Club.). Sometimes they will make a different conclusion than the mechanics, which would suck...

Finger's crossed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
No more 6000 rpm clutch dumps for you!! Lol. Just kidding. Hope it all works out. Seeing as how its a catastrophic failure and not a problem related to wear and tear, Id say you have a 99.9% chance it will get covered.:thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Any word yet on if your gonna be covered? I doubt at this point they are gonna say no.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope and I probably won't for a long time. The power's out in most for the Columbus area and I have a feeling it will be out for a while.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well... interesting development. It wasn't the clutch, it was an axle shaft. It felt like the clutch because the open differential didn't send any power to the other wheel. So, that's that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
I take it they are still going to cover it under the warranty?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Well that's good, at least they didn't try to pull one over on you., how long until they get it back to you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
It's only a little more than a year old... I've never heard of a clutch destroying itself in that little of time (unless it was abused).



That was my conclusion as well... The 110-degree/100% humidity weather we're having couldn't have help as well (although it would have made the material more ductile, the thermal elongation probably wouldn't have helped)
FWIW, the difference between "normal" ambient temps and the 110° you're having puts the ductility change and thermal elongation in the "barely detectable with a microscope" range. Especially since, as soon as you use it, the temp will be well over ambient anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just FYI I got my car back without a problem. It feels so good to have my car back again; the powershift is a terrible transmission.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top