Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what you guys are thinking of doing to your precious little baby's when they finally arrive in the way of add-ons and mods. I personally would like to put a more aggressive exhaust on my st. What are your plans ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
My first mod will be 20% tint all around. Most likely nothing more until I learn the car and what it needs.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Tinting is a must in Southern California, so that will be what I get done first.
Everything else I am thinking of will be cosmetic only and will only happen if my wallet allows. Other than that, I plan to leave my car stock. (so I say now. :p )

·
Registered
352 Posts
Definitely tint, then new wheels, after that I'll wait until some decent parts come out for it, and probably put it on coils and see from there. :thumb:

·
Registered
283 Posts
My first mod will be 20% tint all around. Most likely nothing more until I learn the car and what it needs.
Agreed, expect I like to keep it legal at about 35%. I really just want to drive this car and feel the joy that Ford gave us for a while.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Probably undercoating and tint. In NY we can't tint the driver's side or passenger's side front windows. you either risk it and get a fix it ticket or go without.

I understand that for law enforcement, dark windows are a safety concern but I think it ruins the flow to not have the front windows tinted.

As such, I might just do the rear window and a sun strip on the front windshield.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'll definitely be tinting the windows, and that will probably all that I do in 2012 since I'll need to get winter tires for it within a month of getting the car. Next year I'll pick up a second set of rims for the winter tires and depending on how the car is I may not change anything else. I could see myself adding a cold-air intake and maybe redoing the exhaust from the cat back depending on how it sounds. But since this is my DD/Road trip car I may leave the exhaust alone. Aside from that I don't plan on doing anything else, don't want to void any warranties for the first few years :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Probably undercoating and tint. In NY we can't tint the driver's side or passenger's side front windows. you either risk it and get a fix it ticket or go without.

I understand that for law enforcement, dark windows are a safety concern but I think it ruins the flow to not have the front windows tinted.

As such, I might just do the rear window and a sun strip on the front windshield.
From what I've found in NY you can tint the side windows but you can only go to 30% and you can't use a metallic or mirrored coating. What kind of undercoating are you planning on getting?

·
4,009 Posts
If you have info on that window tint I'd like to see it.

I got a fix it remove it ticket years ago and was told nothing other than factory was legal in NY.

Re under coating. Going to a local shop, not Zebart. This shop uses a fogging system as well as the spray on under coating.

On the go - Via TapTalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
Here is one of the sites with the information. Welcome to TintLaws.com I did a search and found the same information in several locations. Tint must allow 70% of light through, where before 91 it use to be 35%. Now maybe different counties/cities have their own ordinances about this but on a state level it looks like you'd be ok.

I'm debating on whether or not I should undercoat. Albany doesn't get that much snow, no where near as much as Syracuse/Oswego where I'm from. I need to get my Mustang sand blasted and undercoated with that black rubber compound but, it's a 93, Ford's rusted up really good back then. The newer cars are a lot more resilient to rust.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've been told that Ford can tell now if you've tuned the computer so I don't plan on tuning it until the warranty expires, if at all.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've been told that Ford can tell now if you've tuned the computer so I don't plan on tuning it until the warranty expires, if at all.
I doubt that I will want to tune the stock car (unless for an intake, which would void warranty). With WRX/STIs you could squeeze out some extra HP with a 93 octane map but the main reason was to smooth out the power band. The turbo in those cars is like a trigger switch.

It sounds like Ford tuned it so that it you barely recognize the turbo (with the spool starting so low and a WIDE torque band). Also, the ST automatically adjusts for the octane level, up to 91. I'm curious if it would draw some more HP on 93 octane...

·
Registered
753 Posts
I plan on using 93 since it's what I use in my Mustang anyway and a lot of the places around here only carry 87, 89, and 93, some do 87, 91 and 93. But wherever I go around here anyway I can most certainly find 87 and 93.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I plan on 35% tint, WeatherTechs, and a clear bra as soon as I pick up the ST. I haven't had a car with a clear bra before, so I need to do some more research on that before pulling the trigger. I wish I could go darker tint; my SHO is darker, and looks really nice, but I don't feel like getting harassed by the cops. I will also be looking at splash guards if there are some tasteful ones.

·
4,009 Posts
Re tint in NY State, problem is, with factory tint, you are already at some % ( don't know what it is but there is some tint) add layer to the factory and it can push you over the legal limit.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I plan on tint, clear bra right off the bat. The last 5 cars I have owned have had the clear bra on them. I can't wait guys!!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I plan on tint, clear bra right off the bat. The last 5 cars I have owned have had the clear bra on them. I can't wait guys!!!
3M or XPEL? Does the 3M yellow with age?

Reactions: silvertoy
1 - 20 of 68 Posts