Project Specs:
2012 Reflector Lamps
Custom LED DRL with custom optics
Quad projectors - 3 inch low, 2.5 inch HIGH
LED turning lights
35 watt HID system for low and high
D2S: OSRAM XENARC 66240 CBI for low
H1 HID bulbs for high

I am in the process of buying a salvaged pair on Focus headlamps right now.

Project budget is $700 USD

One more thing...yes I know I am crazy. But I am bored, and its cold outside, so a good inside project.

·
Registered
107 Posts
All I can say is good luck. I originally was going to do this but the high beam area in the halogen lamps is just too small to fit a decent projector. I could have just thrown matchboxes in there but it would just been for looks, rather than function at that point. I'd be interested in know what kind of projectors you plan on going with.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Going with Morimoto Mini H1's? If so, I have a set retrofitted into my accord and they are great for the price and size

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lamps purchased. $160..great deal for a set ;) They have some stress fractures in the lenses, but I don't mind, as long as it doesn't effect the output.

Projectors:
TL
Morimoto Mini H1

If the H1's don't fit, I have another one in mind(Matchbox's).. But yes, the high beam is definitely more for looks than anything. Pretty much the reason why I bought DDM HID's for that. ;) I think I will be able to fit in the H1 projectors. As long as there is 3inch of space.

The TL projectors, will fit I hope. If anything, the problem will be with them fitting depth wise. But I plan on doing a cut off mod for those. TL's are actually little smaller that other 3.0inch projectors.

The project is right on budget.. actually $150 under ATM, but I haven't bought misc supplies...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lamps purchased. $160..great deal for a set ;) They have some stress fractures in the lenses, but I don't mind, as long as it doesn't effect the output.

Projectors:
TL
Morimoto Mini H1

If the H1's don't fit, I have another one in mind(Matchbox's).. But yes, the high beam is definitely more for looks than anything. Pretty much the reason why I bought DDM HID's for that. ;) I think I will be able to fit in the H1 projectors. As long as there is 3inch of space.

The TL projectors, will fit I hope. If anything, the problem will be with them fitting depth wise. But I plan on doing a cut off mod for those. TL's are actually little smaller that other 3.0inch projectors.

The project is right on budget.. actually $150 under ATM, but I haven't bought misc supplies...
Hmm interesting. I'll be doing my retrofit the weekend of the 16th with FXR's. I'm a little concerned about room but TRS assured me it would fit with heavy modification. I'm really can't wait to finally have projectors in my ST. It's been sorely missed from my Mustang.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What a task. Are you just going to fiberglass shrouds? The problem with TLs is the excessively massive solenoid that protrudes almost to the front of the lens, so no shroud fits it without the solenoid sticking out. Its also very deep, I just cannot see them fitting into the small low-beam spot.

One thing you could do is cut out the stock solenoid for a smaller mini solenoid, just unsure if the mini is strong enough to pull the shield of the big TL.

I also don't see any decent projector fitting in the high beam spot. I hope you prove me wrong though!

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm interesting. I'll be doing my retrofit the weekend of the 16th with FXR's. I'm a little concerned about room but TRS assured me it would fit with heavy modification. I'm really can't wait to finally have projectors in my ST. It's been sorely missed from my Mustang.
Heh, it will fit. :)

You guys better post detailed how to's, unless you plan on selling these at plug 'n play kits.....then you are forgiven :D
Oh, if this goes will, I might open a business for you guys. I know when I get the Fiesta ST, I will be retrofitting AS Soon as I have it in my garage. I'll have two sets of headlamps to play with. I also found a site that sells the lamps for $209 each, Brand new OEM...

What a task. Are you just going to fiberglass shrouds? The problem with TLs is the excessively massive solenoid that protrudes almost to the front of the lens, so no shroud fits it without the solenoid sticking out. Its also very deep, I just cannot see them fitting into the small low-beam spot.

One thing you could do is cut out the stock solenoid for a smaller mini solenoid, just unsure if the mini is strong enough to pull the shield of the big TL.

I also don't see any decent projector fitting in the high beam spot. I hope you prove me wrong though!
First thing is first...get that damn thing fitted and mounted. From there I will do my research for what I need to make it fit. I've heard that some make aluminum boxes to cover the solenoid. Shrouds: Orbit - Projector Shrouds from The Retrofit Source Inc <-- I order budget because I will be painting and cutting.

The Mort H1 Mini's are 3.09 inches (W) or something.. I think there just might be enough space to make it work.

Order List from TRS:
1 x Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 5.0 (MiniH15.0) = $120.00
Version LHD (North American Standard)
Shrouds 2) Mini Graphite
Bulbs Don't Need
1 x Bi-xenon: Acura TL / ZKW-R Lens (TLZKWR) = $205.00
1 x Orbit (Orbit) = $20.00
Option Value
I did cheap DDM HID's for the H1 with slim ballasts.

ALSO:

Got a question for the light freak: the HID kit I owned was pretty cheap, but it took at least 30 seconds to come to full brightness. Even the ST3 takes a bit of time (~10 sec?) To come to full brightness. Furthermore, I thought you couldn't quickly flash on and off an HID system without damage, which makes their use in high beams and fogs a tricky deal. True or false?

What is bad for the bulbs, is the heat cycles. On a cheap bulb that might be a problem/or cause more wear than if you had your lows on continually. The ballasts should be fine I thought about this aspect already, and I think the highs are more for looks than anything.

I thought about doing a LED bulb in the High, but I've read that (Bad Projector or Bad LED? or bad optics?)

Once I get into the project I will deiced how to go on this. The H1 Mort mini may not even fit in there, in which case, i'll go with a matchbox projector. I want this effect:

The LEDs, I am going to attempt this effect: 2013 AUDI Q5 LED Accent Lights It can be done, and I've seen it done with the correct amount of diffusion. I will have to build my own LED arrays though. Like this:

The turn signal bulb, can be turned into a LED bulb, I think its been covered here or on ST Nation.

The turn lights I am referring to, will only with on a ST3, because there is a circuit/wire for it already. As you know the ST2 lamps don't have the turning light. I planned on removing the amber reflector, and adding 6-9 25-50lm lleds there. So they will only come on when the steering wheel is moved enough to trip the relay.

Thanks for the support, and I assure you all your questions will answered on HOW TO, and what I used to do it.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are here! Wowsers!

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So can you do this project with st2 lights?
Yes. Maybe not the TL projector. I will find out this weekend if the TL will fit in the housing. And the 2nd projector is a maybe as well.

This is the way we learn. :) By Trying it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Props to you Chad for tearing into a new project as in depth as this one. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Depending on the outcome I may give this a try myself next winter (hard to get into projects during the summer for me).

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe I found a way to get them mounted, to have x and y axis movement. Tonight I am going to get one of the lamps open. I bought two sets. This set is the cheap one for practice.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stage I: Exploration!

I will 'not' use the reflectors for mounting. I am planning on mounting to the stock housing mounting points or to the housing its self.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Phase 1.5: Exploration/ Mounting Template

I am working off a sheet of aluminum, cutting to shape, and applying holes where they need to go. The 2nd projector will be mounted off the left two threads.

Rather than mounting the projector to the housing, I choose to use a metal bracket, and the reflector mounting points for the top two.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Phase 1: Exploration of solid beam of light for DRL

So, I've been looking at some ways to defuse light, to make it looks like a solid beam. I got prismatic diffusers used on over head lights. Two different kinds. They looks similar, but they do have differences you could see the camera did not pick out. These are not the LED's I will be using, just for testing I used a old stripe I had.

Diffuser Type I:

Diffuser Type II

Progress report, I am making the final bracket tomorrow for the low beam. Once that is done, I will start on the high beam bracket.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts