Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the major differences between the MyFordTouch and the NAV? Is it just the ability to get the turn by turn directions? Is it worth the $800 difference?

·
Registered
93 Posts
To put it simply and assuming you have a smartphone, no.

But obviously, if you have spare cash and know the chicks like seeing 3D maps on your car's touchscreen, then you may consider it ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha that's what I figured. I only think I've used nav 3 times in the past 7 years or so. Man, I wish the dealer was getting one with yellow inserts instead of smoke.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If it wasn't included automatically with the ST3 package I would not have spent the extra $$ on it. The one perk over a smartphone though is that it won't need a data connection to work. But you could by a dedicated GPS unit for $100 or so to fill that void. There is GPS software avaliable for smartphones that offer an offline mode but quality varies. Since I ordered an ST3 I will have NAV and my understanding is that with the new 3.0 MFT it is a nice system and having NAV integrated it in will probably be nice but I don't know how often I'll end up using.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be nice to have it, but IDK... I guess it depends on if I sell my car or not... however I do need to tag one or the other sooner or later... got some thinkin to do

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you get the ST3 package you won't need to worry becaues it's automatically included. If your getting the ST2 I think if you get MFT without NAV you'll probably be happy with that but it comes down to what you want and what you think you'll be comfortable with. My wife needs to have some kind of GPS for her car and is very happy with her little dedicated unit, I very rarely ever use one and I never trust them. I usually just print out directions and that's what I use.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's just a matter of convenience, having it built into the car rather than dealing with your smartphone (and it becomes a hassle when you get calls/texts/emails while trying to use the nav, since it'll kick you out and you lose data connection unless you're on AT&T).

In the past, the only way to get good smartphone/iPod integration was with Nav (i.e. iDrive or MMI), but now automakers are including good systems in cars without needing Nav. However, Nav will oftentimes get you a higher resolution and/or bigger screen.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I often need to drive to a location I've never been to before with only an address, so I often use Nav. I've been using Google Nav on my Razr Maxx and it has been flawless so far, not even a single problem. I also play music from my phone over the car sound system using an aux port, and when the Nav needs to announce something, it automatically mutes the song, then resumes the song after the announcement. I really like that feature and hope the built in Nav with the ST does the same thing, as I will primarily play music in the ST from an always attached USB stick. I ordered an ST3, so I will get the built-in Nav, but if I were getting an ST2, it is very unlikely I would have paid anything extra for Nav.

Reactions: Rev.Hammer

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Plus sync lets you push a destination from their destinations smart phone app. So I don't really think its worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't use nav often - but when I do I am glad I have it. I decided to add the Nav system to the ST2 package so everything is nice and built in & integrated with all the Sync stuff. I can leave the Garmin in the wife's car. (Plus I hated sticking the thing on the windshield anyway)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I go to different job sites probably 4-5 times per month. Originally I wasn't going with Nav, but then I was able to re-negotiate a better deal on the car and added nav. I was going to grapple with phone/magellan nav, but honestly having it integrated with the 8" screen and voice activated is well worth it for me for the amount I use. If you use nav only once in a blue moon, it's really not worth $700....but not having screens stuck to my window and phones sliding around is almost worth the price alone for me.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I like having the Nav in the car and not on the phone because I have big hands and a smartphones interface is too small for me to look at and fiddle with while I am driving. Also, I know a couple of guys that have been ticket gigged for messing with their phones while they were driving.

They are strict here in Huntsville.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Plus sync lets you push a destination from their destinations smart phone app. So I don't really think its worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know that this works with the MFT on the focus. I think the only method for turn by turn is the monthly subscription sync services.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I don't know that this works with the MFT on the focus. I think the only method for turn by turn is the monthly subscription sync services.
Correct. It's a subscription.

On the go via Tapatalk

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm getting the in-dash nav because not once in my life did I ever regret spending the extra money to get every available feature on something several years down the line, but I regretted NOT spending the money every single time.

That goes for cars, phones, TVs and computers. I don't apply this to appliances like refrigerators, stoves, washing machines or dishwashers. I went as far as to get an external ice maker on the fridge, but none of the computery electronic foofaraw.

I like the idea of having something that just works, without worrying about getting one computer device to talk to another, or having to put a bunch of ugly, Mickey Mouse mounts and wires dangling over my dash. MFT might let your nav app work through the big 8" screen, but that's just a potential place for software incompatibility to rear its ugly head. Especially a couple of years down the road.

That's not to mention that if you're depending on phone nav, and you don't have one of the pricey nav apps that downloads all the maps to your phone, you can lose navigation just when you need it most. I can think of at least ten times that's happened to me, and there are probably more. As good as Verizon coverage is, in hilly Los Angeles there are a lot of dead and "no data" zones.

My $.02.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I did not realize that the navigation system required a subscription for turn-by-turn navigation to work, that is straight up BS.

·
4,009 Posts
No, no, no, Nav isn't a subscription, its regular as you would expect it nav. It's the push from your phone app that works with Sync that is a subscription. That offers turn by turn.

·
4,009 Posts
I stopped getting Nav in cars because the updates were outrageous compared to the cost of updating on a device or my phone. I use the Tomtom app on my iphone and pair it with Sync. I can see the phone and the spoken directions come over the speakers just as it would when you get a call. It mutes the music as the directions are spoken and then resumes music play.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts