Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been discussed elsewhere, but I didn't see it. If you opt for the navigation package, is that in addition to MFT? Or instead of MFT? It's not clear from the options. If anyone has seen a good description/breakdown of the sync/mft/nav option, can you point me to it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Nav option just adds navigation functionality to MFT, since MFT has navigation as part of the code. What seems unclear to me is how the MFT works when you don't have the Nav option. Every demo of MFT that I have seen has navigation set up as one of the corners of the interface. Personally, I think that not including it as a standard feature of MFT is ridiculous since it is so interwoven into the code of MFT in the first place. I guess Ford has to make money somehow.

What goes in that spot if you don't get the Nav package?

·
Registered
241 Posts
The NAV is basically just a feature in the MFT. I know this youtube is a review of a regular focus titanium hatchback but I found the run through of the MFT system to be nice. I really wanted this color on my ST but oh well..........

Skip to 10minute mark to see the MFT

I 1/2 wonder to myself if all of the the MFT systems actually have NAV built in and it is just a feature the dealers can turn on by entering a code. I was interested to see some features such as the weather display that comes with the Sirius traffic

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Thanks for posting that video Bizzaroh. If I had the choice I would just have Sync and not FMT.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Need to clear up some misnomers in here:

The Nav is a factory option only, dealers cannot "enable it" after the fact. The hardware is identical, but there is something different in the software (nobody has figured out how to break this yet). This has been confirmed many times by ford.

If you have MFT but not the Nav addon, the upper right area is filled with a compass. As stated above, the nav is basically an "addon" to the base MFT experience.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm going with the MFT system without navigation. Navigation systems are annoying, and I know where I am going 99% of the time. If I don't, I already have a $100 Garmin.

I have heard of many cases of the touch screen cracking without much pressure. And I really worry about this because it is quite expensive to replace and I live in a very hot area, and unfortunately Ford generally doesn't cover this under warranty.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm going with the MFT system without navigation. Navigation systems are annoying, and I know where I am going 99% of the time. If I don't, I already have a $100 Garmin.

I have heard of many cases of the touch screen cracking without much pressure. And I really worry about this because it is quite expensive to replace and I live in a very hot area, and unfortunately Ford generally doesn't cover this under warranty.
Firstly, I would imagine cracking plastic is more related to cold temps than hot, but to address your specific concern:

I have had my current focus for a year (got it may 11), our summers aren't south hot, but they are pretty hot (100F for a few weeks). I haven't had any stuctural/mechnaical issues or concerns with the MFT nor any of the interior materials for that matter. FWIW, we have really cold winters too; that brought out a few creaks in the upper dash; but in general I was impressed with how the materials held up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts