Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

In searching around online it appears that the only portion of the nav system that is missing from the ST2 package is the SD card itself. Cnet is even reporting that a simple purchase of the SD card from the dealer will make the nav work. Can anyone verify this in any way? Seems like the nav SD cards are very reasonable....I would love to see a pic of someone's factory issued nav sd card to see if it matches this...

New 2012 2013 Ford Lincoln SD Navigation Maps Version A3 | eBay

My fear would be paying for the non returnable card, and finding out the dealer wants $500 to unlock the nav via factory scan tool...

Lets crack this thing and get everyone cheap nav!!!

Fiddy

·
Registered
630 Posts
Simply buying the navigation card will not add navigation. The SD card is only the map data. You don't have the navigation software on your MFT system. If it were that easy I don't think anyone would pay the extra money for navigation if all they had to do was buy the SD card. I did read a while back Ford was considering adding the option to purchase navigation later for non nav vehicles equipped with MFT.

That is the correct SD card on the eBay listing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It was, up until the latest MFT update, it's now A4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simply buying the navigation card will not add navigation. The SD card is only the map data. You don't have the navigation software on your MFT system. If it were that easy I don't think anyone would pay the extra money for navigation if all they had to do was buy the SD card. I did read a while back Ford was considering adding the option to purchase navigation later for non nav vehicles equipped with MFT.

That is the correct SD card on the eBay listing.
Are you certain of this? I can't find any information to support that from my sources.

Fiddy

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I've read it several times. It requires programing to activate it. If it was that simple, everyone would be doing it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Read what? Any clue of what the dealer refers to this programming as? I have access to a ford tech that if I know the proper terminology, I can probably get the unlock done on the cheap and report back.

Fiddy

·
Registered
103 Posts
The dealer gives you the A4 chip for free lol. I did my own upgrade yesterday, no problems.

*edit - you don't have nav so they won't give you a new SD card. It takes a lot more than just simple software to have nav.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The dealer gives you the A4 chip for free lol. I did my own upgrade yesterday, no problems.

*edit - you don't have nav so they won't give you a new SD card. It takes a lot more than just simple software to have nav.
They just gave you the card for free? I've got the A3 card now. So you're saying I can just go ask for it and they'll hand it over? Thanks in advance.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
You can you order Nav for ST2 cars. It's standard on ST3 cars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank god cause had it been just the sd card to get the nav I'd been quite disgruntled if people could get it for that eBay price, and I paid full retail!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm confused. So is there a way to add navi to a sync system? I have it in my ST2 but my wife doesn't have it on her titanium sedan, but wants it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As far as I understand it, the ST2 without navigation does have the GPS unit. They just don't load the maps. You should be able to send a mapquest map to your car through sync and then have turn by turn navigation since the car can track where you are. I haven't tried it yet, since I just use my droid phone when I need nav.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm pretty sure this discussion has been exhausted over at focusfanatics. There might even be a discussion on here somewhere.

The hardware and functionality for Nav is already baked into MFT even on non-NAV equipped cars. There is a tweak they do from the factory that enables it. It's not simply having the SD card that makes it work. Like others said, if that was the case, everyone would do it. Ford must enable it, and from what I understand, dealers are not able to do this via any tool they have available.

Now, that's not to say it isn't impossible. I'm sure there's something deep down at a system level that can be modified, but there simply hasn't been a large number of armchair coders digging into this system.

Personally, I'd rather someone get applink working for google maps, so I can use that through my android phone instead. I am constantly surprised at the wealth of possibility in MFT, but Ford's execution of it has been horrid. I'm chomping at the bit for someone to break it open and let us tweak the OS.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Personally, I'd rather someone get applink working for google maps, so I can use that through my android phone instead.
+1

I would love to have Google Nav/Maps running on the 8" display in the ST via AppLink. In my opinion, there is no better navigation than Google, and it's maps are constantly updated over the air, without the need for an SD card and a 2 hour MFT update.

·
Registered
685 Posts
+1
I would love to have Google Nav/Maps running on the 8" display in the ST via AppLink. In my opinion, there is no better navigation than Google, and it's maps are constantly updated over the air, without the need for an SD card and a 2 hour MFT update.
No better navigation than Google...until you lose your data because there's a hill or you go through a tunnel. Google maps is notoriously unreliable in Los Angeles, the Bay Area, Puget Sound, mountain roads (where you're looking for that poorly marked turnoff to the great, infrequently used road), rural areas off the interstates, etc.

Attitudes about Google Maps are different between people who live in areas with topology, and people who live in areas that are flat :)

Also, it appears that Navigation continues to work with dead reckoning when the satellites are blocked by topology. I can't confirm that yet though. If it does, it's taking speed and direction data from the car and applying it to the map. At 3% of the cost of the car, it's worth it. I didn't even finance (watching $30,000 disappear from your bank account is pretty brutal), and thought it was well worth it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If it's like any other technology someone may hack or reverse engineer the system someday to allow you to install or enable navigation features but I'd assume Ford and Microsoft engineered in solutions to make this pretty difficult. If you want navigation right now then buy it. If not, there's a chance someday the system will be modified by end users but with how integrated it is in the car I'd hope it works as well or better than OEM and wouldn't brick the system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts