Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been lurking here for a little while but I finally need some advise. I recently bought a '13 Focus ST3 and want to do some suspension work to it. It already had a Borla cat-back exhaust and I put an Injen intake on it. I've also took it to the dealership and they are ordering the parts to perform the TSB 13-06-10, thanks to you guys for the info, so that should be done soon.

I think I'm looking for a Unicorn, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I'm not really looking to lower the car, but so be it if necessary and I don't want to stiffen the ride considerably. What I want to do is eliminate as much body roll as possible without making the ride too harsh and uncomfortable.

Options?

If there is anything I left out or something else you want to know just ask.

Thanks
Shawn

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
HI. You might want to consider upgraded roll bars.

·
Registered
195 Posts
How many miles you working with? If your over 50k… change your struts and shocks… And prob wouldn't be a bad idea to change your sway bar link pins too (front and back). If your looking to stiffen up your ride a bit… I just installed a rear shock tower brace today and notice a considerable improvement on body roll… and def did not make the ride any "harsher". And if you had the old motor mount, you will notice a monster of a difference, I had the upgraded mount on my 14', so I tried an aftermarket one, and I took it out a week later… so stiff, made the whole car shake and honestly to me made it feel broken. I'm not racing it on the regular so don't need the stiffer support. As far as lowering… there are several different options for the ST… I've seen anywhere from .5in drops… to over 3in drops… the lower you go.. the better you will handle, but will sacrifice ride quality… If you use your ST as a daily driver… I would def not go too low at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI. You might want to consider upgraded roll bars.
Do you mean sway bars? If so yes and most likely will be the route I take, I've also looked at suspension kits that include springs. I' m not opposed to lowering the car, I just don't want the ride so stiff that it's uncomfortable as a daily driver.

Wouldn't that be great if you could test drive them first.

How many miles you working with? If your over 50k… change your struts and shocks… And prob wouldn't be a bad idea to change your sway bar link pins too (front and back). If your looking to stiffen up your ride a bit… I just installed a rear shock tower brace today and notice a considerable improvement on body roll… and def did not make the ride any "harsher". And if you had the old motor mount, you will notice a monster of a difference, I had the upgraded mount on my 14', so I tried an aftermarket one, and I took it out a week later… so stiff, made the whole car shake and honestly to me made it feel broken. I'm not racing it on the regular so don't need the stiffer support. As far as lowering… there are several different options for the ST… I've seen anywhere from .5in drops… to over 3in drops… the lower you go.. the better you will handle, but will sacrifice ride quality… If you use your ST as a daily driver… I would def not go too low at all.
Interesting you mention the tower brace as I was thinking about that in conjunction with aftermarket sway bars. I guess that is where I should start and if then I still want more, I'll have to take a gamble on a set of springs. Oh I almost forgot, I'm at 18.5K.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah ive had my rear shock tower brace in for a week now and pretty pleased, however, it does hinder your hatch space, I picked up a hammock and some other things at the store and after folding down the seats... just barely made it! IMG_20160522_194703336_HDR.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts