Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that negotiated your price via email, how did you go about sending your initial quote request?

Did you include a breakdown of all the options you wanted along with a detailed pricing outline? Did you let them know you knew how much they will be paying for the car? Did you include a link and/or screen capture of the car you built on fords website? Did you let them know you had contacted other dealers to get the best price? We're there additional charges on the vehicle once you went in to sign papers? Or did they give you the price you would be paying out the door? (including tax, license, registration) Did you include an offer price in your first email?

I would rather do my negotiating via email than in person, but I have no idea were to start.

I would like to purchase the base ST model, and according to the original PDF that came out, the dealers pay $20,896 for the car. MSRP on the trim I want is $24,495 (including destination charges) so I would be happy to get anywhere between those two prices (obviously, the lower the better).

Anyway, thanks for any tips/tricks you can offer!

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I contacted the dealer via email with the specs that I wanted and asked them to contact me. The rest of the process was over the phone. Keep in mind I've bought five Fords from this dealership so the relationship as a valued customer allowed me some liberties as far as not needing to make a deposit.

Reactions: Chad

·
Registered
495 Posts
Similar to Shomare, I sent them an email with my color + options. When they responded with their opening salvo; I responded "Is that your best price?" If they responded, I knew they were interested in talking and I would give them a call. If they balked at that, I knew I was wasting my time.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm in the midst of this now. I initially just asked for a quote on the car as we wanted equipped. The offers we've gotten have been way off from what we're willing to pay, so I've responded with "We're looking for the dealer that can closest to $xxxxx. Please let us know ASAP so we can place our order this week.". That's as far as we've right now... just waiting on replies now.

Now, do I think I' doing this the right way? I'll let you know after it's done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I sent emails out to all dealers in my area and used quotes from each to drive competition. I initially started talking to four dealers, but two of which will not go any lower. I prefer to do business, specifically negotiating, via email because I feel more confident and have time to compose my thoughts compared to over the phone or in person.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in the midst of this now. I initially just asked for a quote on the car as we wanted equipped. The offers we've gotten have been way off from what we're willing to pay, so I've responded with "We're looking for the dealer that can closest to $xxxxx. Please let us know ASAP so we can place our order this week.". That's as far as we've right now... just waiting on replies now.

Now, do I think I' doing this the right way? I'll let you know after it's done.
Any update on your progress?

I'm sending out my first email to a dealer I have purchased two vehicles (including my current focus) from in the past.

·
Registered
742 Posts
My dealing is done, and I have to say that face-to-face negotiation worked best for me. Dealer responses via email had a disinterested quality to them, and the delay in responding was annoying. If I were doing this on a car that was already sitting on dealer lots, I'd use a buying service or one of those services that pit dealers against each other instead of contacting them individually.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I am now speaking with 2 dealers. I'm nervous and rather scared. I'm still not 100% on ordering the car now. I was thinking of waiting until December when I get my bonus from work, then I could add a little more to my down payment. And hopefully get a better deal since that's probably the best month to buy a car. I guess I'll just see what happens.

·
4,009 Posts
Best time when you live on So Cal! Not if you live in the great white North like me!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have a dealer giving me the runaround. First he told me that they (and ALL dealers) will only be selling the ST at MSRP or with a large mark up. When I asked what the MSRP was for the car I wanted, he said that the MSRP was not nailed down yet and he could only give me a rough estimate. I then sent back a link to the ST I built on fords website that includes the MSRP and nicly informed him that I know of several people who have all ready pre ordered their STs under MSRP.
Safe to say I will not be ordering from them (this is not the dealership I have purchased from before, thank goodness)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didn't get anywhere emailing 3 different dealers. Most had the same response. I thinks it's best just to go in and speak with the internet / fleet manager. The guy who is responsable for controlling and understanding the ordering system is who to speak to and most of time, he isn't the point of contact of internet/email inquiries.

On top of that, by being there, it shows your more serious and not just some random anonymous digital enitiy.

·
Registered
284 Posts
On top of that, by being there, it shows your more serious and not just some random anonymous digital enitiy.
I completed everything from my initial contact to final negotiation over email, so I guess the dealer I ended up ordering from knows that a "random anonymous digital entity" sometimes has a good chunk of money they're willing to part with.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't get anywhere emailing 3 different dealers. Most had the same response. I thinks it's best just to go in and speak with the internet / fleet manager. The guy who is responsable for controlling and understanding the ordering system is who to speak to and most of time, he isn't the point of contact of internet/email inquiries.

The guy I was corresponding with (according to the dealer website) is the Internet sales manager. He proceded to email me again to let me know that most of the people I knew (you all) who had ordered an ST would not receive your vehicles because it will be in such limited production any dealer will be lucky to receive even one. He made it sound like the orders placed for customers are taken out of the same allotment that are reserved for the dealers floor. Apparently I would have the best change of getting an ST should I order from him. I'm sorry but even via email this guy was a douche and I had barely even mentioned price. I'm not giving my money to a dealership who treats a customer so snobby via email or otherwise.

·
4,009 Posts
The guy I was corresponding with (according to the dealer website) is the Internet sales manager. He proceded to email me again to let me know that most of the people I knew (you all) who had ordered an ST would not receive your vehicles because it will be in such limited production any dealer will be lucky to receive even one. He made it sound like the orders placed for customers are taken out of the same allotment that are reserved for the dealers floor. Apparently I would have the best change of getting an ST should I order from him. I'm sorry but even via email this guy was a douche and I had barely even mentioned price. I'm not giving my money to a dealership who treats a customer so snobby via email or otherwise.

Yup. If they are going to pull that, what else are they going to try?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I completed everything from my initial contact to final negotiation over email, so I guess the dealer I ended up ordering from knows that a "random anonymous digital entity" sometimes has a good chunk of money they're willing to part with.
Some people have more luck then others for sure. I wish all dealers where the same but they're not. If you're not getting anywhere online, theres no reason why not to print out a build per Fords instruction and head in person and talk to the fleet manager, especially in socal. There are at least 6 dealers in a 30 mile span.

Dream if you need a good socal contact, let me know. My guy had me in and out in 30 minutes and had been very patient throughout....I've probably changed options 4 times already. I'm sure he'll handle it via email too. Can't say there will be much break on price, but he will get one ordered and it will be all yours.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Cypress, I'll let you know. I am planning on going to the dealership that I bought my current focus to see what they can do. Like you said, there are about 8 dealerships within a fairly small radius of where I live, so I have several options. It's just a pain having to go to each to find the best deal. I had hoped to at least trim that time down with emails.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hah, you did save some time. Find out which ones had the doucheist responses and skip the trip to those dealerships. Process of elimination.
lol! I didn't think about it that way.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Funny... the non-responsive, disinterested dealers that I emailed are suddenly very interested now that I've finalized a deal with another dealer. One guy asked would I give him my business if he could beat my existing deal. I told him he'd have to hit very very near invoice to make it worth my while. We'll see what he comes up with.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts