Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone,

My name is Bom. I think the ST is one of the hottest new cars to come out. I'm always interested in cars that have been out in the world, but never get to the states. They have a kind of banned from the US type rep.

Well, I'm 30 years old and a motor head. I mostly mess with imports because I love 4 cylinders. I currently drive 09' Ralliart and 03' Evo 8. evolutionm.net | Lancer Evolution, Ralliart, and US Lancer Community (Warning: slightly NSFW pictures)
Click the link if you like to view my baby.

I hope to bring 15 years of tuning and wrenching on cars. I see there is a diverse crowd here and hope to learn a lot with you all. Thank you.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Welcome!

Click the link if you like to view my baby.
The car or the girl? :D

I hope to bring 15 years of tuning and wrenching on cars. I see there is a diverse crowd here and hope to learn a lot with you all. Thank you.
Great to know! So you may be able to comment on the ECU in this car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome!

The car or the girl? :D

Great to know! So you may be able to comment on the ECU in this car?
She's a babe, and the best thing was it was raining and she was all wet.:p

For the ECU, the AUDI's/VW's already bypassed the Bosch MED17. Also, the Ford ST has been tuned already in Europe.
1024-bit security blocks you from flashing through the OBD port because the flashloader will not send nor disable the security to the ecu.

So Presently, all the tuners working on the MED17 ECU have to open the ECU and install a chip that will allow flashing or they install an interceptor on the ecu connecter in order to bypass the security to the ECU. Once you get through the security encryption part you can flash all you want through the OBD part as the chip or interceptor will disable the security.

Once the ECU has been "unlocked" it can then tuned with custom maps.

My only concern like everyone is warranty. So I stress that everyone be patience and go with the reputable tuners. Don't just get the cheapest and first tune out before you see options. Ultimately, I want to see a plug and play flashloader just like the GIAC one.

Then, if this ECU is anything like others there is a flash counter, counting the number of times the ECU has been flashed. So we all want to be able to hide this mod from the dealer and revert back to stock if necessary.

It's all the same in all the cars, some cars have it easier to tune like evo's/sti's with their open source. Even Honda's need to get an EProm socketed to their computer for Hondata. As soon as any tuner gets the car they will start datalogging, pulling the rom, tuning the map, and trying to flash to the ECU.

Hopefully, I'm not the only one, but I hope that FORD just comes out with a stage 1/2 computer upgrade.
If all else fails Standalone EMS.

You'll read the same things everywhere. There hasn't been any breakthrough developments yet, but trust me this car will bring demand just from its potential.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bom, thanks for the information, that is the kind of stuff that will make this forum a wealth of information in the near future!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks Bom! Be prepared for a lot of questions when I finally get my hands on my ST. I am an old school motor head and don't know anythimg about the computer car stuff. Anyway Welcome to the Nation and thanks in advance for any info/help you can provide.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
WELCOME AND THANK YOU!!
You gonna make a LOT of friends around here or we are gonna drive you NUTS!

QUOTE:

For the ECU, the AUDI's/VW's already bypassed the Bosch MED17. Also, the Ford ST has been tuned already in Europe.
1024-bit security blocks you from flashing through the OBD port because the flashloader will not send nor disable the security to the ecu.

So Presently, all the tuners working on the MED17 ECU have to open the ECU and install a chip that will allow flashing or they install an interceptor on the ecu connecter in order to bypass the security to the ECU. Once you get through the security encryption part you can flash all you want through the OBD part as the chip or interceptor will disable the security.

Once the ECU has been "unlocked" it can then tuned with custom maps.

I, for one, am hoppin i n a circle with glee and I also want to say " TOLD YA SO!"

Good to have you here!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts