Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new to the world of STs and really new to modifying cars as well. I want to get some more horsepower out of my ST and get a bit more sound from it also without doing or spending a ton. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I've been thinking blow off valve, cold air intake, and possibly a cat-back exhaust but don't know much about doing so or what else is required/recommended. I really appreciate any help!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Welcome to the ST family!!! You are like me... want more go for less dough!!! Unfortunately that is not going to be easy. First off.. unless you are going with a bigger Turbo.. the blow off valve is not going to help in any way... it will just sound cool. Second, cold air intake, In my opinion... is a waste of money, the ST engine compartment gets very hot and that can contribute to heat soak and will be worse if you buy an intake with an open boxed air filter. I personally went with the Green drop in air filter and also purchased the end cap for it... you want to keep the filter enclosed so your not sucking hot engine bay air. I have driven mine with the cap on and off... sure it sounds cool with the end open, but I have noticed a major decrease in low RPM power. And as far as exhaust... cat backs are gonna run about a grand give or take and should most likely be done by a professional. I have a friend who has the MBRP cat back system... I'm not a fan of 4 cyl exhaust sounds... but if i were to do mine... MBRP is the way to go. Those are my opinions... and all in all.. .I think the ST is fine just the way it is, you could spend a fortune trying to shave a second off you quarter mile time... or you could just do what I'm doing and leave it stock so I get top dollar for it when I trade it in on an RS!!! But def check out the forums on this site.. .lots of intel, and you can also check out shops online... just google Focus ST after-market parts... there are a TON!!! Oh and by the way... stay away from the rear motor mount modification... I put one in 3 days ago and went back to stock... not worth the money IMO. Prob best thing you could do is to buy all season tires... unless you live in the desert!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi I'm new also, I have a ST3 mbrp dp and cat back, Cobb cai and V3 with a mountune fmic. I spent $2,200 give or take. Love it. Cold air intake(cai) from Cobb was my first mod, it still is worth every$. It makes the ST sound ready for war, mean but snappy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts