Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed, that while under load mostly, i hear what seems to be something rubbing on the passenger side of the motor. I can also faintly hear it while at idle with the hood open. I really don't know how to describe it, but it sounds like metal rubbing against each other. I guess you can compare it to a rotor and caliper rubbing? Performance does not seem to be harmed with this either. It's quite annoying as I am passing people during regular DDing. It just sounds like two pieced or metal that are spinning and rubbing against each other lol.....I don't know how else to describe it. Is this normal? Any ideas?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
862 Posts
I know you just put the COBB intake in. The pipe on the COBB intake is metal, where as the stock pipe is plastic. Over by the passenger side, where the intake pipe curves down into the turbo, the pipe comes very close to touching the high pressure oil line. Make sure that they are not touching, as the vibration from the intake pipe could cause a similar noise. Very possible, not sure exactly what your issue is though.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know you just put the COBB intake in. The pipe on the COBB intake is metal, where as the stock pipe is plastic. Over by the passenger side, where the intake pipe curves down into the turbo, the pipe comes very close to touching the high pressure oil line. Make sure that they are not touching, as the vibration from the intake pipe could cause a similar noise. Very possible, not sure exactly what your issue is though.
I will check it, thanks Dan. However, the noise was there before the intake...sigh. I don't want to take it to the dealer if this is a normal thing cuz I dont want to have to put the OEM intake on and flash back to stock. I know it would be simple to do, just don't want to if I don't have to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually notice this same sound....i noticed it a few days after purchasing the car because a girl ran into me on the passenger side and after repairs i thought that the alignment was out....she hit me in the rear and the sound was at the front right wheel and you hear it mostly when passing walls, cars, etc...i had multiple techs look at the car and ride with me...they also heard the sound but could find absolutely nothing wrong with the front end and alignment was all good...DI engines are just noisey that's all. -Curtis

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually notice this same sound....i noticed it a few days after purchasing the car because a girl ran into me on the passenger side and after repairs i thought that the alignment was out....she hit me in the rear and the sound was at the front right wheel and you hear it mostly when passing walls, cars, etc...i had multiple techs look at the car and ride with me...they also heard the sound but could find absolutely nothing wrong with the front end and alignment was all good...DI engines are just noisey that's all. -Curtis
OK, this makes me feel better, thanks man! My car rides fine, alignment is perfect, and I only have 2600 miles on it since I bought it (Oct/2012) The performance is still intact, and no problems with the car whatsoever. I guess I am just over-cautious. It IS noisy as hell, like what you said, when passing cars, by walls, etc. I guess it's ok when I hear my COBB intake suck in the air, listen to the turbo whistle, then hearing my Forge BOV makes it all better lol!

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah no problem...it's funny because the tech noticed it as soon as we took off. I had a ford tech ride with the body shop tech (who is not with ford), so i feel really covered by both of their inspections.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've noticed this same sound lately too. Now that the weather is nicer, I've been driving with the windows open, and have heard it when alongside walls, other cars, etc.
Glad to hear it's not just mine. I was starting to wonder if something was wrong too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hear the same thing with windows down. I've opened the hood to listen to it because I was worried it was the turbo. Its coming for the accessory belt area, either noisey belt or high pressure fuel delivery. I thought maybe it was just me and noisey belts because I live down a dirt road and no matter how slow I go the bay gets dusty

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same noise as well. It seems to become noticeable when the idle settles down after the car warms up. To echo the statements in the other thread it has been very humid and rainy around here lately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same noise as well. It seems to become noticeable when the idle settles down after the car warms up. To echo the statements in the other thread it has been very humid and rainy around here lately.
Hi! First post here!

I have this same problem in my new Focus ST (just under 1K miles). It has also been very rainy here these days. So, is this issue normal and I shouldn't worry about it? Or is it something that can be fixed, oiled, replaced, or banged with a hammer on, in order to get rid of this hissing/rattling problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went to the dealer with a noise that sounds like brake pad wear tabs rubbing the rotor. They told me it is the high pressure fuel pump. I can hear the sound when car is moving or still. Another dealer said it is nothing, but, a tech said his st did not make that sound. I guess they won't diagnose a problem unless it is related to a recall. Who knows.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts