Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ST people!

So I haven't bought a car in 10 years...My little eclipse is on its last leg! So obviously, like you, I'm interested in the ST. I have never ordered a car before. I have just bought off the lot. So can anyone fill me in on the procedure? Is there still haggling involved? do you leave a deposit, then when the car comes in figure out financing...etc...

anyhoo, just trying to make a plan. I don't want to over pay, though I realize I'm not gonna get a huge discount or anything be a brand new popular car. I just don't want to pay a bunch of dealer fees and such. But seeing as I do need a new car soon, I'd like to order it as soon as they become available.

Also, what is a typical deposit on a car being ordered? Do you lose that deposit if you choose to not have the car when it arrives?

Anyhoo, a bit of a noob for ordering cars. Just thought I'd seek out some advice. If this has already been answered, feel free to point me in the right direction. :?:

Thanks everyone!!

-Matt

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Matt

I have never ordered a car from the dealer. But it seems simple enough? When we get the build a ST page on the Ford.com site, draft up what you want, and print it out.

Take your specs to the dealer, and ask them to order for you.

I am sure a deposit will be required. But not 100% on that.

Also, here is a good resource I have used every time I go buy a car.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com

I am going to guess that someone here on the forum has ordered a car from ford before. So I hope they chime in. :) I am also interested in the process..

:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve ordered a number of cars before though mostly from makers other than Ford. Depending on the car and dealer, they may have a standard price for factory orders. The last Subaru I ordered was from a dealer whose factory orders were priced at invoice plus $200 plus a $200 processing fee typical in Northern Virginia. Hot cars will likely be priced closer to MSRP depending on supply. I paid MSRP for pre-ordering one of the first 350Zs. Once that car was out for a while people were getting better deals.

If getting the best price is your priority versus using a dealer that you know and like then run the options on your order by several dealers for a price comparison.

As far as the deposit, most orders I placed required a deposit of $200 to $500 depending on the car. This protects the dealer when people order colors and options that might be hard for them to sell if you break the deal and it has to sit on their lot for quite a while. If I recall correctly, the deposit was not refundable if I backed out, but was refundable if the dealer couldn’t deliver the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts