Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a commercial on the tv for the new focus st. It passes a mazda3 and says "torque steer compensation" what is this.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So does it limit the power at all to reduce it. Or is it kind of a steering wheel thing?
It's that second thing you mention. It doesn't limit the power. It counteracts torque steer by using the electric power steering system to apply a force in the opposite direction that the torque steer is trying to tug the wheel. Apparently. Most reviewers who have driven the car seem to think that the car still has noticeable torque steer, but that it's not overwhelming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's that second thing you mention. It doesn't limit the power. It counteracts torque steer by using the electric power steering system to apply a force in the opposite direction that the torque steer is trying to tug the wheel. Apparently. Most reviewers who have driven the car seem to think that the car still has noticeable torque steer, but that it's not overwhelming.
Yea, I mean when you have that much power going to the two front wheels, it just one of those things you have to put up with. If you don't like torque steer, awd or rwd is your answer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The top ST engineer said he left enough in to "keep it fun". We'll see. I remember test driving the first Ford Probe Turbo's in the late 80's, if we're going to talk about torque steer (and yes, I've driven MS3's). Those Probes could put in the field when the boost came on.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'd have preferred an option to tune out all the torque steer. I don't even want to know it's there.

I think they wanted to appeal to people who associated more power with torque steer, and they would have missed it. I think that's just silly if it's true.

·
Registered
147 Posts
See some people have limp wrists and can't handle the wheel tugging one direction or another. Last thing I want is an electric gizmo to try and counteract natural physics...and that goes for any car. Proper suspension setup (proper scrub radius, dave point set up etc), equal length axles, gear based lsd, etc, are what needs to be used most to counteract torque steer IMO. I have over 400wtq and it's really hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
See some people have limp wrists and can't handle the wheel tugging one direction or another. Last thing I want is an electric gizmo to try and counteract natural physics...and that goes for any car. Proper suspension setup (proper scrub radius, dave point set up etc), equal length axles, gear based lsd, etc, are what needs to be used most to counteract torque steer IMO. I have over 400wtq and it's really hardly noticeable.
Yeah, it's all about enjoying the car fighting you every time you mash the gas. That's the greatest feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
IMO yes it is...not that I have to fight very hard. Part of the experience.
People say the same thing about noodling. Doesn't make me want to do it anymore. I'll just stick to more civilized methods of fishing.

Reactions: higgrit

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
IMO yes it is...not that I have to fight very hard. Part of the experience.
Even with a steady hand, torque steer can cause plenty of issues going through a turn, especially on uneven road. Far better to be planted

·
Banned
102 Posts
It's fords way of cheaping out on a mechanical LSD and no revo knuckle from the RS.

Reactions: 86azms3

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Something stinks in here.

·
Banned
102 Posts
The facts are facts.
Ford didn't give the car the revo knuckle as a cost cutting measure.

Reactions: Chad

·
Registered
547 Posts
The facts are facts.
Yes, I wouldn't want to buy a 35 grand Focus ST. A RS maybe.....wait, definitely.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The facts are facts.
Yes, I wouldn't want to buy a 35 grand Focus ST. A Focus RS maybe.....wait, definitely.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It's fords way of cheaping out on a mechanical LSD and no revo knuckle from the RS.
Yes and no.
With the electronic torque steer compensation, Revoknuckle isn't really important, especially when you consider the fact that it didn't completely eliminate torque steer, and it added to the cost and weight of the car.
A mechanical LSD isn't necessary either. Due to the existence of differential gearing in the fwd setup, braking the inside wheel will transfer power to the outside wheel. In some ways, a braking force on the inside wheel is actually better than simply putting the wheel in a neutral state, and will help the car twist more.
I will point out that the tvc braking measures will cause wear on the brakes, but since you won't need to brake as hard for a turn as you normally would, it may balance out.
Yes, Ford may have done these things for cost cutting measures, but in many ways, you should be glad they did.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yes and no.
With the electronic torque steer compensation, Revoknuckle isn't really important, especially when you consider the fact that it didn't completely eliminate torque steer, and it added to the cost and weight of the car.
A mechanical LSD isn't necessary either. Due to the existence of differential gearing in the fwd setup, braking the inside wheel will transfer power to the outside wheel. In some ways, a braking force on the inside wheel is actually better than simply putting the wheel in a neutral state, and will help the car twist more.
I will point out that the tvc braking measures will cause wear on the brakes, but since you won't need to brake as hard for a turn as you normally would, it may balance out.
Yes, Ford may have done these things for cost cutting measures, but in many ways, you should be glad they did.

Agreed. Results are what count and reviews have been stellar on this system. If the cost is replacing pads a little more often, that seems like a good trade-off to me. Just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it's a worse idea, saving weight is always good. The one problem area that could pop up is earlier brake fade due to overuse of this system. Only some serious track time will tell the tale on that.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.