Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was pointed out in the ST Reviews thread.

The Motor Trend first drive claims that NA dealers will offer optional all-season tires to replace the summer tires that it comes standard on. If this is true, I will definitely be switching to the all-seasons (I don't need pure performance, I need pure practicality). I sent an email to my dealer, asking him to check this out, and posted on Ford ST's Facebook wall.

2013 Ford Focus ST First Drive - Motor Trend

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'd rather a winter tire package. I plan on using summer/winter tires. Probably the first purchase I'll make for this car besides a tank of gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
In not sure about that. I would think Lisa or someone would have said something by now, or other magazines would have mentioned it. This article also says turning traction control off doesn't shut everything off. I've seen in numerous other sources that off indeed means off. Normal->Sport->Off. Take what was reported with a grain of salt..........:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Anything can be negotiated at the point of sale... If you REALLY want all-seasons I'm sure your dealer could hook you up (for a price, of course.... but probably cheaper than tire rack if you negotiate well enough)

However, my question to you is: why? All-season tires are compromises, all the way around. They compromise on dry performance, wet performance and snow performance... They're a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none tire. If you live in Michigan you will be disappointed in the performance of all-seasons compared to a good set of winter tires. If you're spending $25k+ on a car, is another $600 for a good set of winter tires/wheels that big of a deal?

This article also says turning traction control off doesn't shut everything off. I've seen in numerous other sources that off indeed means off. Normal->Sport->Off.
That line is technically right, actually. While it does turn off ESC and TSC, the electric limited slip and yaw sensors are still on so you're not really getting the all-off experience.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Was it just me, or did anyone else think that Motor Trend first drive was kind of a mess?

They spent a lot of time talking about the Mustang, then they go on about a BMW M3 and mention that it's faster, and they summarize by saying the BRZ/FR-S handles better. Meanwhile, the only place they compare the ST to it's actual competition, the GTI and "MazdaSport 3" (yes, that's how they named it at the bottom) is in price.

:S

·
Registered
547 Posts
Was it just me, or did anyone else think that Motor Trend first drive was kind of a mess?

They spent a lot of time talking about the Mustang, then they go on about a BMW M3 and mention that it's faster, and they summarize by saying the BRZ/FR-S handles better. Meanwhile, the only place they compare the ST to it's actual competition, the GTI and "MazdaSport 3" (yes, that's how they named it at the bottom) is in price.

:S
Which is why I don't get Motor Trend. That and their NA Car/Truck of the year award is meaningless...(whoever pays them the most!)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anything can be negotiated at the point of sale... If you REALLY want all-seasons I'm sure your dealer could hook you up (for a price, of course.... but probably cheaper than tire rack if you negotiate well enough)

However, my question to you is: why? All-season tires are compromises, all the way around. They compromise on dry performance, wet performance and snow performance... They're a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none tire. If you live in Michigan you will be disappointed in the performance of all-seasons compared to a good set of winter tires. If you're spending $25k+ on a car, is another $600 for a good set of winter tires/wheels that big of a deal?
As I've stated numerous times before only to have it fall on deaf ears, you will not notice a difference between summer tires and good all season tires anywhere except the track. As I don't plan on doing much, if any track racing, the summer tires would present zero benefit to me. Yes snow tires are better in the snow, but not by an overwhelming margin. I nor any good driver have had any issue with good all season tires in the snow. The downside is having to purchase a spare set of tires and rims and swap them out. Optional all season tires are a smart simple and cost effective solution for us northerners who won't be racing at a track.

Reactions: Grabber523

·
Registered
373 Posts
As I've stated numerous times before only to have it fall on deaf ears, you will not notice a difference between summer tires and good all season tires anywhere except the track. As I don't plan on doing much, if any track racing, the summer tires would present zero benefit to me. Yes snow tires are better in the snow, but not by an overwhelming margin. I nor any good driver have had any issue with good all season tires in the snow. The downside is having to purchase a spare set of tires and rims and swap them out. Optional all season tires are a smart simple and cost effective solution for us northerners who won't be racing at a track.
I agree. I've stated multiple times that it should be easy to get a dealer to swap out All Seasons for the Summer tires at the point of sale for no additional charge, just negotiate it in the deal. It's not like they can't resell the summer tires.

·
Registered
547 Posts
you will not notice a difference between summer tires and good all season tires anywhere except the track.
That is a bold statement. I disagree but I will not argue...:eek:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I've stated numerous times before only to have it fall on deaf ears...
Exactly. I want tires that I don't have to worry about and that will work well anywhere. I won't be racing this, it's my daily driver. I also don't have the space to keep an extra set of tires around. I'm just a college student with a small apartment.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The ST suspension is tuned with sport tires in mind. I will definitely go all-seasons because I live in MA. Winter 2013 I will buy snow tires and put them on stock wheels. Spring 2014 I will buy some nice aftermarket wheels to put summer tires on. This way I can save up to buy new rims and tires over the course of a year+.

I have never had an accident with all-seasons on in snowstorms. It's all about driver skill.

However I must note, we know there is such thing as tires named "all-season" but there is no such thing as "all-season tires."

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm hard on tires and I beg to differ. I had all season Michelin tires on my M3, Initially they were hard and as they wore out they grew loud at slow speeds. On a hard launch they would slip causing the traction control to intervene quite often. Wet pavement grip was also slippery. I replaced those tires with Michelin PS2 tires and it was a world of difference. Grip was far superior on the street, I could launch hard and they would grip and go! The PS2's had a nice soft gripping compound where is the all season had a harder less gripping compound. The trade off was that the sticky PS2's will wear out faster, but give better feedback.

·
Registered
283 Posts
One thing that I forgot to mention, a very important thing I might add, is the improvement in braking ability. Tires are the biggest influence when it comes to braking. The sticky Michelin PS2 tires that I used improved braking ability over the all season's I had before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It makes no sense to offer a car without an all season option. Very few people live in a all year good climate. Ford would be stupid not to offer all seasons. I will not buy without that option.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm in the Northeast so when I get mine, if summer tires was the only option (even if it were I'd tell the dealership to earn my business you have to put (tires I specify) on.

It makes no sense to offer a car without an all season option. Very few people live in a all year good climate. Ford would be stupid not to offer all seasons. I will not buy without that option.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I live in the Northeast and can give two craps about summer tires. I will be keeping my summer tires and will drive them in the snow to the best of my ability. They can't be any worse than the crappy 17" Kumho tires on my 2009 Focus SES right now. They are hard as a rock and I'm still able to drive in the snow.

·
Registered
753 Posts
For this car I'm going to want performance tires for the summer so I know I'm getting the best grip possible. That has pushed me towards getting a second set of rims/tires for winter. I have a garage though so I have the room to store a second set of tires for the Winter. I have been running all-season tires on my other Focus's for the past 10 years in upstate New York with no problems though. It's all about finding a good set of all-season tires. Tires are not created equally and there are good all-season tires that will work for most people. They won't be as good as Winter tires or Summer tires but for most people they are good enough. As long as you drive carefully you'll be fine. And it's easier and cheaper than having two sets of rims/tires.

Reactions: Grabber523

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live in the Northeast and can give two craps about summer tires. I will be keeping my summer tires and will drive them in the snow to the best of my ability. They can't be any worse than the crappy 17" Kumho tires on my 2009 Focus SES right now. They are hard as a rock and I'm still able to drive in the snow.
You really think the summers will do anything but spin in the snow?

It's all about finding a good set of all-season tires. Tires are not created equally and there are good all-season tires that will work for most people. They won't be as good as Winter tires or Summer tires but for most people they are good enough. As long as you drive carefully you'll be fine. And it's easier and cheaper than having two sets of rims/tires.
What all-seasons are on your Focus?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts