Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Image Gallery:

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-general-discussion/277-nyias-coverage-fordstnation-3.html#post1340
http://fordstnation.com/members/chad/albums/2012-new-york-international-auto-show/

Videos:

Focus ST Walk-around

Interviews:

Chad D'Arcy Interview

Lisa Schoder Interview

FordSTNation,

This thread will serve as the official article documenting our experience at the New York International Auto Show on April 4th, 2012.

First off, I would like to thank Chad for helping set this up. He was a large driving force in getting the press passes and allowing us to attend the show. Also, I would like to thank topher352 for joining me in the long ride into New York from greater Connecticut.

Second, I would like to thank Tim Lyons from Ford for setting up interviews with Chad D'Arcy (Focus Electric Marketing Manager), Chris Terry, and Lisa Schoder (Ford ST Brand Manager). With that, great thanks to Chad, Chris, and Lisa for taking time out of their days to answer our questions. They were amazing to talk with.

Chris (topher352) and myself have a LOT of information to sift through. We have two interviews that we must dissect and then put together a cohesive and concise article that will hopefully answer a lot of your questions. Please be patient, as it may take us some time to get a draft together, edited, and published to the site. Also, please keep in mind that this weekend is Good Friday, Passover, and Easter; I ask that everyone be respectful to the time that we would like to spend with our families. Chris and myself did this on our own time and would just ask for some patience. Trust me, some of this information will be worth it.

I would like to just clear up a few quick things to keep you interested. We did not discuss pricing, availability, pre-orders, or package details with Ford. That information has yet to be released and out of respect for Ford and its employees we chose to not be rude and ask questions that have already been answered. We tried hard to ask very technical questions that enthusiasts would like answered, and also more general questions regarding the C-platform models that Ford is currently working on.

Hood Gap: These are pre-production cars. Chris and myself found that the front structure did not have adequate support behind the new ST front bumper. This was due to the fact that these cars were originally Focus SE's which had been modified for show. The gap on the Tangerine Scream car was similar to the standard Focus SE that was at the show and looked good.

Muffler: The hexagonal tip was welded directly to the muffler. It is a one-piece design and fits directly in place of the stock standard Focus exhaust. The Focus ST exhaust is at least 2" in diameter. It seemed bigger than stock.

Console and E-Brake: The console and E-brake design on the ST were similar to a Powershift(Dual Clutch) Focus. The 5-Speed Focus that was at the show had a different console and E-brake design that did not "stick up" and intrude on the driver (like the current pictures show). We're still not sure if that is going to change or not. I did grab the vin number from the show ST, so I'll try to figure out if the base car was an auto or manual. Essentially, the production car may be different. Simply, we think Ford used the automatic console instead of the manual for the prototype ST's.

Tangerine Scream: It is definitely a more "yellow" color and is still very nice. Pictures do not do it justice. However, it is not as orange as the concept car was. We were very impressed by both the Tangerine Scream and Performance Blue colors.

I will update this at a later time. It was a very eventful day for both of us and we have so much to talk about. I can tell you that I have a much greater respect for what Ford is doing with these cars now that I've seen some of the inner workings and spoke to the Reps at the show. This car is going to be a huge hit and I think once you see it for yourselves, you'll agree.

Dan

April 11th, 2012: Chad D'Arcy Interview Added
April 22nd, 2012: Lisa Schoder Interview Added

·
Registered
407 Posts
Great work and thanks for taking the time to do this. All of us here greatly appreciate it and look forward to some more info on it!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Muffler: The hexagonal tip was welded directly to the muffler. It is a one-piece design and fits directly in place of the stock standard Focus exhaust. The Focus ST exhaust is at least 2" in diameter. It seemed bigger than stock.
Considering the regular Focus is 2", I would put money on the ST being 2.5"

·
Registered
358 Posts
Considering the regular Focus is 2", I would put money on the ST being 2.5"
no 3" !!! I´m getting suprised if a 2,5" would be available. I have a 2,5" for my fiesta :)
And just looked in a Germany exhaust tuninger shop for Focus...2,75" is available.
But for the last Focus 3" was standard for tuners :)

BTT: Thank you guys for your Work an time you´ve invested. For sure, you had a great day in NY :)

(I just looked in google maps for you route and still looked some details of NY...awesome...... :) i want to come over but if i travel to the USA i need some weeks to "feel" the USA :) )

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am looking forward to hearing more. Thanks for your effort and to those who helped put the trip together for you.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Performance Blue Ford Focus ST Walkaround

All,

While I am transcribing our interview with Mr. D'Arcy, please enjoy this walk-around footage from the show floor of the upcoming Ford Focus ST.

The video was shot in HD 1080p with an iPhone and surprisingly came out very well.

Enjoy!

Dan

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Yes it did come out great.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nice work, Dan.

Looking forward to reading your complete report!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts