1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
This may help:

Rough idle engine stall - Page 3

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-performance/6744-jumpy-idle-stalling-4.html

Engine Fault/ Service Now - Page 3

Engine stalling solution do it yourself fix!!!!

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-repair-shop-service/5037-focus-st-idle-shudder.html

Rough idle when first starting up

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-repair-shop-service/4728-strange-idling-behavior.html

That's a lot of links. I am having the same problem. There is currently a TSB (13-09-07) out that is to supposed fix this problem by replacing splices in the wiring harness. I had the fix performed on Monday and the problem persists. The dealer I am working with is going to start from the ground up. One of the thoughts is that it could be the idle air control valve, but I'm not sure I agree. All you can do is bring it to the dealer, explain the problem, and make sure you show them the problem. If you don't have time, take a video of it.

If your issue is anything like mine, it will get worse as the weather gets warmer and when the car is warmed up. At this point, my car comes very close to stalling at most stops.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dem, none of the newer Fords have idle control valves anymore, they're all 'fly by wire' systems. The PCM alters throttle plate angle to control the idle now. It sounds like it could be either a throttle body issue or even possibly a calibration issue. I am going to run an OASIS search sometime today to see what all info is available from Ford. OASIS is an online feature that dealerships use to access information, recalls, service publications, etc. I'm curious to see what TSB's and SSM's there are for these cars. I'll post any updates I find.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Dem, none of the newer Fords have idle control valves anymore, they're all 'fly by wire' systems. The PCM alters throttle plate angle to control the idle now. It sounds like it could be either a throttle body issue or even possibly a calibration issue. I am going to run an OASIS search sometime today to see what all info is available from Ford. OASIS is an online feature that dealerships use to access information, recalls, service publications, etc. I'm curious to see what TSB's and SSM's there are for these cars. I'll post any updates I find.
Finally, someone who knows something. I don't know too many "in the weeds" details about how these cars operate. They're very interconnected and complex now. Thanks for taking a look. I believe the dealer I am working with used OASIS as well. The only thing they could come up with was the Wiring Harness TSB13-09-07, which was already performed.

Some of those links I posted have examples in which complete harnesses and even the PCM have been replaced. It doesn't seem to be model year specific as 2013's and 2014's have the same problem. That leads me to believe that there is either an electrical issue that is quality driven (harness) or as you mentioned, a calibration issue (PCM software). Throttle body would make sense if it is getting covered in oil. If that is the case, wouldn't a lot of ST owners have a similar issue?

Thanks for the input. The more clarification we get, the better. If you have any more info about how the cars operate, please share. I'm hoping to get to the bottom of it any way possible and then sharing it with everyone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, I just browsed OASIS and only came up with the TSB mentioned. It does state in the TSB that if the codes are not present that the TSB doesn't apply. That doesn't mean that the splice isn't the concern. Ford's on-board diagnostics are designed to only set a DTC if a reading is outside of set parameters. There could still be an issue with the splices that causes one of the readings to be off enough to cause a driveability issue but not set a code. I would still check the readings as mentioned above even if no codes were present.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dem, it's not oil in the throttle body that causes the concerns, it's corrosion buildup in the Potentiometer (TPS) contacts that is to blame. The Throttle Position Sensor is built into the throttle actuator on these cars, so the entire actuator assy has to be replaced if there's an issue. Sometimes they can be a bit challenging to diagnose!!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
This wiring harness issue is THE most biggest concern i have about the ST. The thought of the engine shutting off with no warning is pretty disturbing

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've noticed this behavior only when I let the clutch out after starting the car, if I hold the clutch in and let the car idle until the RPM's drop to about 1000 (this is my norm before taking off) it doesn't do it. It ONLY does it after letting the clutch out, but not always. I don't know what's causing it... just wanted to add what causes it for me.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Finally, someone who knows something. I don't know too many "in the weeds" details about how these cars operate. They're very interconnected and complex now. Thanks for taking a look. I believe the dealer I am working with used OASIS as well. The only thing they could come up with was the Wiring Harness TSB13-09-07, which was already performed.

Some of those links I posted have examples in which complete harnesses and even the PCM have been replaced. It doesn't seem to be model year specific as 2013's and 2014's have the same problem. That leads me to believe that there is either an electrical issue that is quality driven (harness) or as you mentioned, a calibration issue (PCM software). Throttle body would make sense if it is getting covered in oil. If that is the case, wouldn't a lot of ST owners have a similar issue?

Thanks for the input. The more clarification we get, the better. If you have any more info about how the cars operate, please share. I'm hoping to get to the bottom of it any way possible and then sharing it with everyone.
Dem what was the original problem you were having that prompted the tsb and how did they diagnose it in your case?

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
This wiring harness issue is THE most biggest concern i have about the ST. The thought of the engine shutting off with no warning is pretty disturbing
This is bothering me a lot too. It stalled on me as I came to a stop the other day. It's definitely a cause for concern.

Tuesday will be the third time at the dealer. The first time there was no code and they claimed to check the splices, then told me to come back if it got worse. I went back and they must have just done the TSB. Well, the problem persisted. It's going back in on Tuesday for a bottoms up diagnostic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
FWIW, I've had this problem happen to me a few times, but I never thought anything of it. It seems like it happens right after I let out the clutch after starting the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, I've had this problem happen to me a few times, but I never thought anything of it. It seems like it happens right after I let out the clutch after starting the car.
This seems to be exactly what I've been experiencing. I just don't want for it to turn into the stalling issue the others have been taking about. Good to know I'm not crazy though lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
This is bothering me a lot too. It stalled on me as I came to a stop the other day. It's definitely a cause for concern.

Tuesday will be the third time at the dealer. The first time there was no code and they claimed to check the splices, then told me to come back if it got worse. I went back and they must have just done the TSB. Well, the problem persisted. It's going back in on Tuesday for a bottoms up diagnostic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yikes. I hope they can get to the bottom of it. I havent had any idle issues or stalling like has been described here. No mods to engine other than mounts tsb but remains to be seen i guess if that has anything to do with this particular issue anyway. I just hope this isnt an issue similar to GMs ignition failures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had my car in multiple times for this issue. It stalls occasionally when I'm coming to a stop with the clutch engaged but because my car is not shooting any codes and can't replicate the problem, nothing can be done :\

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Had my car in multiple times for this issue. It stalls occasionally when I'm coming to a stop with the clutch engaged but because my car is not shooting any codes and can't replicate the problem, nothing can be done :\
This is what they said to me the first time and found nothing. The second time they performed the TSB. There was no code the second time, so they must have just decided to do it.

I brought it in this morning for the third time. Hopefully they find something. The weather is going to be nice and warm here today, so the car should do it more frequently. I'm a bit of a pessimist though and I have an inkling that I'll recieve a call and they won't have an answer.

I'll update the thread once I speak with them. It would be nice if they call me today, but it could take a day or two.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Update: The car will be getting a new throttle body. According to the service advisor, Ford has revised (according to him "tweaked") the throttle body for these cars. It is on order and should be in tomorrow.

He told me it took some time for them to replicate the issue, but once they did it was easy to tell from the computer diagnostics that the throttle body was unresponsive. Ford is obviously aware of the issue, as he said they did redesign the TB. Apparently, it isn't big enough of a problem to release a new TSB. In my opinion it is, seeing how many people have a similar issue.

HOWEVER, we won't have any idea if it really is the problem until it gets installed tomorrow. I asked if it is possible this happens again and he pointed to the reviseed TB design. So, we'll see what the outcome is.

Stay Tuned.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Update: The car will be getting a new throttle body. According to the service advisor, Ford has revised (according to him "tweaked") the throttle body for these cars. It is on order and should be in tomorrow.

He told me it took some time for them to replicate the issue, but once they did it was easy to tell from the computer diagnostics that the throttle body was unresponsive. Ford is obviously aware of the issue, as he said they did redesign the TB. Apparently, it isn't big enough of a problem to release a new TSB. In my opinion it is, seeing how many people have a similar issue.

HOWEVER, we won't have any idea if it really is the problem until it gets installed tomorrow. I asked if it is possible this happens again and he pointed to the reviseed TB design. So, we'll see what the outcome is.

Stay Tuned.
Thanks for the update dem ..hopefully this fixes your issue. And if this is truly a ford "redesign" issue then i agree with you that it should be a tsb like the motor mounts/clutch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmmmmm.....interesting. I haven't heard of anything from Ford about the throttle body yet, but I still have yet to see one with this problem in my shop. If they (Ford) did indeed redesign the throttle body there will most certainly be either a TSB or at the very least an SSM posted to OASIS about it. My ST just passed 600 miles yesterday, and so far it's been ok, no stalling. I will keep checking OASIS to see if anything new shows up or if it's just something the dealer told you to try to appease you. I have suspected an electronic throttle body issue though since reading about some of the issues, the previous incarnation of the Focus definitely had it's share of throttle body problems.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Hmmmmm.....interesting. I haven't heard of anything from Ford about the throttle body yet, but I still have yet to see one with this problem in my shop. If they (Ford) did indeed redesign the throttle body there will most certainly be either a TSB or at the very least an SSM posted to OASIS about it. My ST just passed 600 miles yesterday, and so far it's been ok, no stalling. I will keep checking OASIS to see if anything new shows up or if it's just something the dealer told you to try to appease you. I have suspected an electronic throttle body issue though since reading about some of the issues, the previous incarnation of the Focus definitely had it's share of throttle body problems.
Exactly what I was thinking. If this really is the cause, then they've wasted a decent amount of time and money. Maybe they should have listened to me the first time instead of saying there was nothing, then the second time performing the TSB, even though that wasn't it, now the third time installing a new TB.

A few questions arise from this:

1) If the TB is the issue, why did it start 14 months and 26k miles after I owned the car and not day 1?
-Wear and tear? Poor quality? bad software?
2) If the TB is revised, how come owners with MY2014 ST's are having a similar issue?
-I have a 2013 built in Sept. 2012 (one of the early cars)
3) How come all ST owners are not having the problem?

Maybe you can answer this: So, the tech's read the #'s coming from the diagnostic system hooked up to the PCM. As the car performs it's routine, they notice the throttle position isn't where it should be. Well, couldn't that be because the signals coming into the PCM are not where they should be, which causes the PCM to actuate the throttle valve?

I still feel there are questions that aren't answered. Regardless, a new TB is going to be installed and once that is done we should get an answer if that was the root cause or not.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts