Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're ALL going to need catch cans.
It should be your first mod.
DI means no gasoline to wash your valves.

Reactions: Rev.Hammer

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meh.
306151_286660008078606_915474900_n.jpg
I'm rocking two of these.
One from valve cover to intake, and one from the PCV to the manifold.

Reactions: oaxa

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
You're ALL going to need catch cans.
It should be your first mod.
DI means no gasoline to wash your valves.
If we are all going to need them, then why aren't they stock.

Reactions: Chip

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Ford designs the car for the masses. 10-15% of this demographic might be interested in track use, and it the track use that the catch can will be needed. Crankcase is vented back into intake so oil vapors make their way into the air going into the engine and start to gunk up the valves. A catch can will help elimnate that.

Reactions: Rev.Hammer

·
Registered
440 Posts
Because like it or not normal people will buy the ST not just enthusiasts, these normal people most likely won't be doing their own oil changes and if they do they won't know to empty the catch can. Now most shops won't know to empty the catch can since I don't know of any cars that come factory with them. So this will necessitate the need for a level sensor to tell the dummies when the catch can is full and needs to be drained and all of this would increase the cost as they would need to add to the price for the catch can, sensor, and programming to tell the dummies when to drain their catch can.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Well I intend to take mine out on the track from time to time so I'll need some help installing the catch can. Never done it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well I intend to take mine out on the track from time to time so I'll need some help installing the catch can. Never done it.
I'm sure there will be atleast one writeup about how to do it shortly after the cars start arriving.

Tokay, what brand is the catch can you run, I like the blacked out look.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
A good friend of mine tracks his F-body and has had major issues with his rear diff fluid heating up and overflowing at the breather which then makes a mess all over his exhaust so he welded 1 up and keeps it hidden in his rear wheel well and has to drain it after every track day.

Moser Ford 9" diff housing and a LSD i cant think of. All top of the line stuff made for track use and capable of handling 800+ hp but the recommended fluid type for the diff is all wrong. Made a mess of his Billy boat exhaust.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure's has a dip stick and a drain.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Cool, and Sure Motorsports is located here in Orlando...well actually Casselberry, but close enough.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Guys, I believe that the "catch can craze" is possibly the most unnecessary purchase I might ever have seen on a car that won't be used exclusively at the track. And even THEN, I do not believe it to be NECESSARY.

I'm sure some will disagree, and I've written this up before elsewhere, but there is no reason to do this unless you are running on R-compound tires (or stickier) AND have an incredibly stiff suspension, AND know that the overflow valve is in a place where you KNOW oil will be pooling under load, AND you have brakes that are so good that they'll be producing amazing amounts of sustained oil pooling, AND downshifting will create high enough crankcase pressure on turn in AND your home track has a place where all of these things come together for the perfect storm.

I saw thousands of race cars come through during my time (recent) and very few had catches. On top of that, it was VERY, VERY rare to ever see enough oil through the intake to cause a significant problem. I only ONCE saw a car with such repeatable problems that I agreed that it NEEDED a catch can. That was an S2000 CR that was driven by a real maniac that was brutal to the car (and was very fast). There were a handful of other cars that I saw that had repeated problems of lesser magnitude (Porsche Boxsters and Caymans, 300Z TTs, and various other heavily modified vehicles).

Many cars without issues were flogged repeatedly on track and for years (and that included DI cars) and had no discernible problems, no rebuilds and no loss of power, etc.

The aforementioned CR definitely did. But it stood alone.

I saw hundreds of thousands of track miles, maybe more, and this was simply not a problem worth dealing with for 99% of people.

Does the ST not have some sort of basic PCV system? And until you actually SEE oil in the intake, I can't see going out and getting one of these. Many times, if you're seeing that much oil, you are much farther down the road with the car, and there are other issues at play.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't think we'll know how important this is (or isn't) until we see someone trying it at the track. A number of Neon racers I knew claimed to be getting enough oil out of the head on hard right hand turns to cause concern, and to fill catch cans. I never saw it first hand, so it's all anecdotal to me. Also, I would hope the head and vent design were better thought out than a neon. :)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts