Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been following the st for a little while now and love all the great reviews so far. I just really miss awd launches and fun in the snow. I've always wanted a nice newer performance audi or vw. Now I got too many damn choices going thru my head. Its like have a st for 350 a month and deal with the fwd. Or go to 450 a month for a new golf r or go balls out and get a 2010 audi s4 for around 550's a month. I feel all have amazing interiors and all got great reviews. I've had 5 fwd cars in my life and all piss me off in the ice winters of south dakota. I know awd wont help much for ice either but the most fun I've had with a car was awd launching in my mazdaspeed 6. I didn't know of anyone else is on the fence about awd or the st. I know this will be a bit biased from this forum but I asked the guys at vw vortex as well. Any inputs would be awesome thank you.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Seems like AWD was made for places that look like it's still the ice age in winter.

For us people in warmer dryer climes, it's optional.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Atenza, u have been very active on the forum and it would suck if u left by going another route other than the ST. Ill be glad to help ur decision, GET THE ST!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bang for the buck factor ST wins. Only other car I'm considering is the new Golf R and that is a lot higher priced than the ST. I looked at the WRX but I can't find it optioned the way I want. ie leather, navi ect like the Golf R and the ST. I was very close to jumping into the Golf R but honestly don't want to spend over $30k on a car.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Bang for the buck factor ST wins. Only other car I'm considering is the new Golf R and that is a lot higher priced than the ST. I looked at the WRX but I can't find it optioned the way I want. ie leather, navi ect like the Golf R and the ST. I was very close to jumping into the Golf R but honestly don't want to spend over $30k on a car.
If I was going to spend more than $30k on a car, I'd go for a 3er.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Don't stress dude. It's a wonderful thing when your biggest problem is choosing between an ST, Golf R, or Audi :D

I'm going ST. AWD sounds temping but there's something about the ST that fascinates me and has me keep coming back to it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
A Focus ST with st3 can be had for a few dollars under $30k. A four door Golf R is $36k, add $770 for dest, and about $500 in dealer fees, add 6.25% for sales tax and you can be a few dollars under $40k for a Golf R! That is some serious coin for a car.

·
Registered
417 Posts
+1. However, I'm wondering if that's what residents of South Dakota do already. And has he tried FWD with good winter tires.

I always see Subaru and SUVs in a ditch somewhere in heavy snowstorms/blizzards here in New England.

Get a good set of winter tires and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I always see Subaru and SUVs in a ditch somewhere in heavy snowstorms/blizzards here in New England.
I think this is a case of overconfidence. I see the same with SUVs in general in Nebraska. And FWIW I've always done fine in FWD cars with decent AS. For the ST I intend to get a winter set.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah fwd is good in the snow, but a icy drive way always makes me angry. The golf r's in town are around 35k with 2 door and nav. I just feel like if i get one the st will come out and the after market will explode and people will make like 400whp on stock blocks kinda like the srt4 guys did. I guess ill just wait till i can drive a st.

·
Registered
373 Posts
South Dakota is a miserable place to live. I've had to go out there a few times for work, and the ice/snow is miserable during the winters.

If you REALLY want AWD, then you won't be happy with the ST. You'll be happy with it until snow is on the ground and ice is on the roads, then you'll wish you went with the Golf R or an Audi.

My advice? Wait for the 2014 Audi A3 to hit the US. For about the same price as a Golf R, you'll get a much nicer car that will likely be about as fast with a better AWD system (Quattro is superior to the system in the Golf R). Go look at the pricing of the current A3, and just assume the new one will be priced similarly (because any higher and it'll be at A4 prices). AWD + optional DSG + turbo 4 pushing 200+ hp will make it one fun car to drive.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
SD is beautiful in the summer though.

I definitely think the Golf R and even GTI autobahn sit in an awkward place when you start looking at A3 s. Unless you just have to have a 2 door.

·
Registered
373 Posts
SD is beautiful in the summer though.

I definitely think the Golf R and even GTI autobahn sit in an awkward place when you start looking at A3 s. Unless you just have to have a 2 door.
Beautiful... but ultimately empty and way too far from civilization. haha

Yeah the Golf R can only really sell right now because the current Audi A3 is like 35 years old and hasn't been replaced yet (and it's the end of the run for the existing GTI/Golf R anyway, set to be replaced next year). I think "Audi A3" will be the answer to a lot of the "what is the best small AWD car I can buy for low $30ks" once the new one gets here. The old one is really fun to drive, especially the AWD versions... it's basically a more practical Audi TT given they have the same platform and drive trains.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Do you have hills where you live. Because FWD with winter tires is totally fine.......unless there are hills in your regular driving. Then it's no match for AWD, IMHO.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Do you have hills where you live. Because FWD with winter tires is totally fine.......unless there are hills in your regular driving. Then it's no match for AWD, IMHO.
I'm of the opinion that you can get away with FWD in snow/ice, but if I lived under those conditions, I'd pony up the extra bucks for AWD in a Golf R or sacrifice economy and a nice interior and get a WRX. ST's are the most car for the money, but AWD is more flexible in extreme weather.

·
Registered
139 Posts
While I loooove AWD I drove a FWD car for two years and it was fine. It honestly depends on the driver IMO.
I wanted an AWD but liked the ST and like you was having a tough time on choosing. I ended up getting the ST because why the hell not. Its a gamble but I have a feeling I won't regret it. Plus I already have an AWD car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
quiet a bit of hills here and i know fwd will work fine in snow but i just found awd so much funner in the snow. Although sliding around in the snow with my roommates prelude with winter tires is a blast. And we could do it better than a bunch of evo x's we were with. I love that there are so many choices now, i spend way to much time watching reviews and stuff for different cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts