Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I've been noticing a weird noise while driving lately. Going above 45mph and in the 60+ area while cruising I'm hearing a faint Oscillating noise like "fha fha fha, or wha wha wha", and it pulsates more or less depending on the speed, and degree of the turn. Do you guys know what it could be? I've done some googling and the results are vast: anything between bushings to driveshafts and tires. It raised more concern and question than it managed to answer.

To give you some more information, I've installed my Summer tires about 1k miles ago and I've rotated them from their original positioning. I've tightened the lugnuts via hand, I feel fairly well, and I believe they are inflated to ford recommendations. I feel like I've been needing an alignment for a while, to correct me having to rudder a bit to the right b/c the car seems to have an affinity to the left ( I assume this is because during my last alignment everything was set to 0, or as close to straight as possible with the car empty, and my weight causes the car to lean left a bit) but I can't quite declare it to be the sole cause. I'm not certain that I need to re balance the tires, as they have less than 3k miles on them, nor did I remove the tires from the rims, although there is a very slight steering wheel shake/vibration that isn't visible but can be slightly felt when holding the wheel lightly--it's definitely not pronounced like it would be if your fronts wheels were out of whack, and I can't recall if I felt this slight vibration before or not (could just be regular road vibration, but i'm not sure) but now that I've noticed it, I can't seem to unnoticed it--know how that goes?

With that info given, what do you guys think could be the culprit? Input appreciated.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I had a 2002ZTS that developed a sound like that, louder over 45 MPH. 50+ there was vibration in the wheel. turned out to be a rear wheel bushing.
On the ST I had All Season wheels put on and heard a similar (High Speed) sound, but no vibration. This turned out to be the wheels weren't balanced. The shop did a balancing, and now it's seems ok. The tires themselves have a bit of road noise by themselves, but that `Fluttering wobble` sound didn't sit right.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ Zeekay;

Yes, the noise is similar to that sound when 1 window is open. But the windows are definitely closed.

@ Cowlynz,

That's what I'm afraid of, if it's a bushing or something. Would warranty cover that? And how difficult would it be to diagnose? If it's a tire balance issue, I think I can live with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
if u havent done this already run ur hand over the tires inside tread feel for any feathering, if u dont feel any feathering alignment should be ok. tire should feel smooth. if smooth put wheel and tire on balance machine and check balance. tape waits are tricky and if u had a shop do it they proably just balanced the inside of the wheel, i know because some of my coworkers do it. also check to see if noise moves with the wheel when u rotate it. if noise moves may just have tire issue. check to see if tires are rotational and are going in right direction. proper inflation should be 32 pounds if unsure check drivers door jam. check those if none of those fixes it start looking at alignment and suspension components. personally... sounds like a tire issue

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
@ Cowlynz,

That's what I'm afraid of, if it's a bushing or something. Would warranty cover that? And how difficult would it be to diagnose? If it's a tire balance issue, I think I can live with that.
Warranty would/should cover either issue. The trouble diagnosing on the ZTS was mainly a dealer/ mechanic insisted the problem was the breaks, but in reality, the bushing/bearings had caused the breaks to warp.,

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a plan st5, i'll feel around, but i'm not a pro as to what i'm supposed to feel but i'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I took a video with my cellphone from the interior hoping you guys could hear the noise. The regular static noise is just wind/road, etc, but listen close and you'll hear a higher pitched wobbly noise.

Oscillation Noise - YouTube

Also, make sure to jack it up to it's highest quality, and to turn the volume up. It's a little feint, but you can definitely hear a more pronounced wobbly sounds at around the 1 min mark.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sounds like the UFO's are after you.

But in seriousness the sound is speed related, and my best bet is tires. Or at least I think the tires are what are making the noise, not necessarily the problem. All of your lugs torqued down? I'd doubt it'd be a wheel bearing since the car is so new.

Did you end up getting the GoPro? You could stick it on the fender above each wheel and record a minute or so on each, and see which one is the loudest. That would at least narrow down which corner it was.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i tend to get a similar sound when the car sits for the day and is cold out 40-50*f and then go drive. It then goes away as the tires heatup. Wondering if it very well could be the f1s causing an issue.

·
Registered
252 Posts
When you say you switched back to your summer tires, did you mean that you had winter tires on your stock wheels, then remounted the summer tires? If so, they could have been balanced slightly wrong.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have separate rims for the winter tires, so nothing has been changed on the Summer tires. That clip I took was after I drove 25 miles on the highway, that was the last stretch in the city going about 35-40. Going 70+ the noise gets reduced as the wobble frequency increases.

I'll go to the dealer in a bit and have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPdate: I went to the dealer today, they drove the car around and such and couldn't quite "hear" the noise. They balanced a couple of the tires and called it a day. When I picked it up, I talked to the service guy in charge of the project and asked him a few questions, etc etc and I got him to agree to go on a ride along. It took him a while to hear it, but after a minute he was like "oh wow, I hear it now" as we drove over practically new pavement. We were going to drive another ST on the lot to compare if it's road noise or something different, but the instrument gauges weren't working so we postponed to another day.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gotta give u guys a quick update,

I had chance to get the car in the air and I rotated my tires. Noise is still there. This was about 800 miles ago.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quick update on this; it turns out that my tires got cupped. at least that's what another dealer said after I took it there when my intercooler hose popped off. I told them about some concerns and that's what they said. I'm super duper disappointed w/ my initial dealership. I believe this was a direct result of them giving me the run around and messing with my steering wheel. I've got the regional guy involved and we'll see where this goes.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Noise on stock wheels? If you hit a pot hole on the stock wheels it is very easy to get them out of balance. I notice when I get new tires the wheels are nice and quiet, but after a few weeks little noises return. I'm buying new wheels next time I need tires, the stock ones are crap IMHO.

·
Registered
195 Posts
the wider and lower profile tire... the more noise... tires are supposed to be round right? our 235/40/18's are not what I would call round... I had a mustang with similar size tires and had same noise issues... google "low profile tire noise" and check out what most people find.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts