Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyones opinion was pushing a button like a "video game" if you have test drove it already rather than having all the power at the wheels? Or your opinion's without a test drive?

·
Registered
354 Posts
There is no over boost button on the ST. The computer will allow higher boost for several seconds, Ford is marketing this as over boost.

It is nothing unique, my turbo Mopars have been doing this since 85. .

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
< comments removed by user >

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just because I have been following the ST over seas doesn't mean I know what Overboost is, as far as I'm concerned I sound like an idiot more than a troll. All i needed was an answer which DG clearly gave me. If I could delete the post I would of.

Let's start off by you calling me a troll by the posts I made.

Obviously you never heard of the DCT grinding on the regular Focus's made.

You're telling me there is no gap in between the hood and front bumper?

Of course I work at Dearborn Truck Plant, what do you want from me my global ID?

I compared it to a video game because it clearly said it on the chart on the home page? Sorry I'm far sighted and don't wear my glasses at work. Only when I'm reading or strolling the internet on my computer. (lesson learned, don't want to be spotted as a troll)

You're also saying that the ST Sessions didn't hook everyone in? They clearly made a thread about it you must of missed it.

I guess me talking about my best friends car makes me sound like I'm making shit up? I don't know because you're wrong on everything you called me out on. Clearly pointing to the obvious you have no idea what a troll is.. Go play some video games and find out. I am looking to get out of the motorcycle's and into a sporty hatch instead of my Titanium which I bought instead because my older car was giving out.

Go ahead and delete this moderator's or it will just fall to the bottom of the thread either way.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Perhaps I have jumped the gun here (pun intended). There has been a small problem here recently with trolls and maybe I took all the negative comments from a new user the wrong way. My apologies as I realize I did not handle this claim in the correct manner. I hope that my over eagerness to keep the boards clean does not discourage you from participating here. I look forward to your positive contributions to this site in the future, though you are certainly free to criticize where appropriate.

As a side note, I really did think your comment about "hook, line, and sinker" was a clever fish reference, whether or not it was your intention.

Reactions: Rev.Hammer and oaxa

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for sounding like a troll :S Just a noob trying to get educated on sporty cars! But on the real probably the stupidest thread made on here so I see where you were coming from and again I apologize. lol I hope you have a nice day, and sorry I just wont post from work anymore unless I have my glasses to avoid all the confusion and to prevent myself from looking stupid. I really am new to the car scene, I was always on rockets but a lot of people have been going down this year and I got my good 6 years of riding in. So I figured I'd sell that for the down payment on the ST plus add whatever I get back from the Titanium.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Back in my twenties, I had a Suzuki "cafe racer", and it was the only transportation I had for 2 years. I got it for the great performance/price point, and probably for the adrenalin pumping danger aspect too. I had a change of heart when my wife got pregnant, and have been on four wheels ever since. If your biggest complaint about the Titanium is the DCT, I suspect you will love the ST with its increased power and handling.

Reactions: FourtyKal

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your biggest complaint about the Titanium is the DCT, I suspect you will love the ST with its increased power and handling.
Honestly I can't stand it personally, I'm not sure if it's because I got mine when it first came out or what. But when your driving with your friends and you can hear it grinding it's pretty embarrassing in my opinion. But that's exactly what I'm looking for, especially since it's the first turbo focus in NA. I was looking at 08 MS3's, but I personally like the Focus interior couldn't even look at any other interiors at the time. That's going to be a fun ride the ST, I already know it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
is this overboost button going to be on the steeringwheel? i really hope not. i think it would be crowded with all the audio and cruis buttons. plus when i add my nos i need a button for that.

=\

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wish it was like a KERS system in F1, button on the wheel would make it much more race feeling. And I could feel like I'd overtake people like a boss. Pedal floored will suffice I suppose.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
So my question is...the power that's advertised that's over boost power....so when auto crossing, extended drag race, now the engine is on reduced power till what?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It affects the torque curve (extends peak torque range) and doesn't affect the actual peak number or the HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
There is no factory provided method to manually control boost. Also worth noting that doing auto-x may void the factory warranty (check the owners manual for more details). Manual control will require aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
354 Posts
DiGi said:
then how do i turn on the boost?
The turbo charger is attached to the exhaust. The more load on the engine the faster the exhaust velocity is coming out of the engine which sins the turbo faster. The faster the turbo spins the more air the compressor side of the turbo move which creates positive pressure (boost) in the intake.

There is a waste gate on the exhaust side of the turbo that allows the exhaust gas to bypass the turbine wheel which in turns reduces the speed and air on the compressor side reducing boost.

Before the arrival of computer control in car engines the waste gate was simply a spring and a diaphragm that once the manifold pressure reached a predetermined level the waste gate would open reducing boost. Now a days the computer determines when the waste gate opens. They can do all sorts of thing like keep the boost lower in low gears so as to not stress the transmission or allow the boost to go to a level (over boost) that would over stress the engine if held for a long time.

For the most part the level of boost is still determined by the engine rpm and how far open the throttle is. As stated previously you will get max boost under wide open throttle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts