Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Various outlets are reporting on the overboost feature following the press release a day or two ago. MotorTrend WOT is calling it a button: http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-ford-focus-st-overboost-button-temporarily-adds-7-4-percent-more-torque-216433.html
At first I thought they were reporting something new, but I think its just a bit of shoddy reporting. The PR talks about an "overboost feature", and includes a graphic with a line of text that compares the effect to "hitting the turbo-boost button in a video racing game".

So if someone asks you about the overboost button, you'll know where they got the idea from.

·
Registered
617 Posts
It also speeds up the muffler bearings and enables synthetic blinker fluid to trun on flashers and let everyone around you see you've gone plaid...:eek:

This is fun.....lol

·
Registered
786 Posts
It also speeds up the muffler bearings and enables synthetic blinker fluid to trun on flashers and let everyone around you see you've gone plaid...:eek:

Really? ..........calls Ford to see if can have 2nd overboost button installed

·
Registered
253 Posts
so my question to everyone with over boosted is the 15sec reseted every shift or is it just a constant 15 sec of 7.4% more tq or is it every time we let off the accel and then reapply we get the 15 sec and the power again. Lol i ask this because i am a helicopter pilot and we have somthing like this except we call it our 10 min engine limit which in terms mean for those 10 mins the engine are give us more power. We cant exceed that limit so to keep that power we start a timer wait to about 9 mins reduce power back to continus power for a sec then go back into our 1 min limit but only when we need it

·
Registered
617 Posts
I saw it written somewhere, but its a temporary limit that is reset once a certain lower RPM is reached. Don't remember specifics, but its like this: spend 5 seconds in overboost (so 10 sec left avail.) and you have to spend x-number of seconds below a certain RPM to reset it and get full 15 seconds again. I really don't think anyone would use up all 15 seconds consecutively unless you're doing a top speed run, or constant long pulls and really high speeds. Hope this answers your question though.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
We have the same sort of thing on the engines we use except it is called "Power Bulge". Where torque is temporarily increased when RPMs drop lower than expected due to high engine loads.

I like overboost better. :)

Hey I know! There should be a indicator bar.
"Hold on bro...I only got 5 bars

7..."

·
Registered
693 Posts
must be a way to totally deactivate it. i know i know it will cause issues with the turbo. good idea though........

·
Registered
440 Posts
Larger Intercooler, Water/meth injection + tuing from our friends at Cobb and overboost can be permanent or we can increase the " Overboost's... Boost "

1 - 20 of 22 Posts