Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing photos of the ST with red or yellow brake calipers. Is there anyway to get that on the US version or is that a Europe only option? I'm guessing Europe only but want to make sure.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Europe only or head out to pep boys

On the go - Via TapTalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I figure. I was thinking I might upgrade to a set of Brembo's eventually anyway.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't paint for shit lol, and if I was going to paint them I'd want them powder coated. For that price I might as well upgrade the brakes to a set of Brembos.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It takes no skill to paint brake calipers, you just need to mask off the piston and dust seal. I used I believe it was VHT brand brake paint on my Cuda's calipers back in 03 and the paint has held up just fine.

If you want powder coat you can get a kit for powder coating from Eastwoods for under a $100. One of the guys I work with got the kit and has been doing parts on his car. Just need an oven to cure the powder.

The other option is they sell covers that clip onto the calipers. A guy at work has them on his Mazda and another guy has them on his Magnum. You have to look closely to tell they are a cover.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The other option is they sell covers that clip onto the calipers. A guy at work has them on his Mazda and another guy has them on his Magnum. You have to look closely to tell they are a cover.
I suspect covers cause the brakes to run hotter, thus less effective and faster wear.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It takes no skill to paint brake calipers, you just need to mask off the piston and dust seal. I used I believe it was VHT brand brake paint on my Cuda's calipers back in 03 and the paint has held up just fine.

If you want powder coat you can get a kit for powder coating from Eastwoods for under a $100. One of the guys I work with got the kit and has been doing parts on his car. Just need an oven to cure the powder.

yeah, should be easy one. a friend painted his MS3 calipers....so don´t worry.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd go with white calipers to match the car and offset the rims, make them stand out. Or you could do red so they match the ST badges.

If I paint them I'll paint them red to match the ST badges and make them standout more. I've thought about blue but I'd rather they be red to stand out more.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Unreal said:
I suspect covers cause the brakes to run hotter, thus less effective and faster wear.
Likely some they only cover the side you see through the wheels. If heat is a concern painting or powder epoxy is going to cause them to run hotter too. Also, rust will be an insulator too.

Since powder epoxy is a much thicker coating than paint I wouldn't be surprised if they are the worst of the three options. But since Bembo, Wilwood and most other aftermarket brake companies powder coat it can't be much of an issue.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't put covers on mine, I'd either paint/powder coat them or just upgrade to a Brembo set. I'll wait and see how good the brakes are. They may not require much upgrading.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Looks nice! I like that only the Ingot Silver ST's come with the calipers painted to match the body color.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks nice, I'm thinking I'll do red on my blue ST, a little red accent will be nice.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks, it was really good paint and I'll be buying it again. Red calipers are quite common but with good reason. If done properly they make the car stand out and with this ST moving it'll look amazing. I've seen 3 here around Detroit and the wheels look very big when in motion so they painted calipers will look great.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts