Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here but not new to fords. I've worked for them for 10 years and owned plenty (3 f150s, two raptors and a f250). I'm in the market for a new toy. I'm leaning towards another sti but the st has me curious. Especially the price and I can get d plan if its available on the st. I'll be doing the ride and drive this weekend at fedex field so that should finalize my decision.

Just for the heck of it here are some of my past rides. So this car will definitely not stay stock!

My last sti (bought from Dave Mirra)

another sti

·
Registered
617 Posts
Whats up man! Welcome from a previous Raptor owner as well! I recognize your screen name from the Z. I was josh1899 over there. ST is a sick little ride, and there is alot of info on here. Snoop around and youll learn alot.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Glad you can drive one at performance academy coming up
Would love to hear how it compares to the STI

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would love to hear that as well. I'm contemplating a ST or a used Evo X MR. The wife prefers an auto and I would be spending about the same amount on either one. I can't wait to hear how the performance academy is.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can tell you that it wont compare to an STI or an Evo. AWD is a completely Different beast. If you plan to build an ST get ready for some wheel spin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already know its not going to be comparable. The question for me is going to be performance loss compared to cost of vehicle. I'm currently looking at a used sti that has 8000 miles and close to 400whp with suspension etc for 35k. If I can get a st for d plan I can do a lot (if parts are available) for 10k

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can tell you that it wont compare to an STI or an Evo. AWD is a completely Different beast. If you plan to build an ST get ready for some wheel spin.
I understand that but I don't think that was the reason the ST is around. The ST. Isn't made for drag racing. It was made for road courses. Plus I think that the ST may have more comforts as well. Not too sure about that. Also, the Evo x seems to have cheap plastic dash. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Correct, but in comparison to wheel spin you will have less of a problem with an awd getting traction vs fwd.

The gas mileage is a huge difference between the ST and EVO. That is one thing holding me back. But you have the evo that has auto. Does anyone know if the GTI's auto is dual clutch design.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For me gas mileage isn't too much of a concern. I only drive 10-15 miles a day at most and have another vehicle on top of that. I'll get to drive a st today. So my descision should be finalized.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Correct, but in comparison to wheel spin you will have less of a problem with an awd getting traction vs fwd.

The gas mileage is a huge difference between the ST and EVO. That is one thing holding me back. But you have the evo that has auto. Does anyone know if the GTI's auto is dual clutch design.
It looks like the gti is dual clutch. I did some research. I guess it is better to teach a man how to fish.

Anyways I have a tough decision to make. I havent sat in a st so I'm hoping the interior will be up to par with gti and make my decision easier for the st.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It looks like the gti is dual clutch. I did some research. I guess it is better to teach a man how to fish.

Anyways I have a tough decision to make. I havent sat in a st so I'm hoping the interior will be up to par with gti and make my decision easier for the st.
So after doing some research and driving a GTI, I ended up getting the GTI with DSG. my wife can't drive a manual so it was easier for the sale pitch. I know the ST will be an amazing car and I'm already jealous of you guys who have an order in. Ill enjoy my dual clutch with launch control while you guys enjoy a lot more horsepower and torque. If the ST would have been a auto it would won for sure.

P.S.- I hope I don't run into any of you on the streets. I'll be put to shame.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts