Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving on my way home from Irvine Ca on northbound 5 fwy when I noticed an ST get on the freeway the same time as me. So I went to try and catch up to it just to see who was driving. Not everyday I see a fellow ST owner. As I got closer I noticed the car had Michigan plates, which kinda perked my curiosity. Then I saw that the plate was a Ford plate, and not a normal issued plate.

I was trying to figure out why a ST would be driven all the way out to CA (it had be obviously driven, very dirty lol) with Ford Michigan plates. Couldn't get a good look at the headlights, so it might not be an ST3. One can only assume.

20121005124918.jpg

Turn down the volume. Having my loud ass acura on the freeway with the windows down does not make for good videos.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why do you think this is an ST3? Ford may still have testers on the road.
would normally think that, but with the car being out over a month now it seems a little weird to try and work out the bugs now and not before lol but who knows it could be.

Could be a magazine or car show test car.
Not sure why they would wanna drive it that far but it could also be that. I was dirty as hell so Im assuming it was a straight drive from back east and not a gradual.

and again it was weird because of the plates, not being normal plates it kind of threw me off

·
Registered
37 Posts
would normally think that, but with the car being out over a month now it seems a little weird to try and work out the bugs now and not before lol but who knows it could be.
Ford could be working on a new fuel map and needed a real world test drive?

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are a lot of reasons for a "M-Plate" car to be running around.
It could have been a representative of Ford driving around. (Think sponsored folks or upper management)
A few years ago when Ken Block came up to the Sno*Drift Rally in Northern Michigan right after he signed with Ford, there was a convoy of M-Plate Fords running around as support vehicles. Including a Raptor that Jost Capito was driving.
Just this year there was a M-Plate Fiat 500 Abarth up there, long before they were official in the US.

It could be 3rd party partners like Steeda, Roush, FS Werks that may have been able to get pre-production cars to start to template aftermarket parts and test new Tunes. (Though, it doesn't sound like that happened much with the ST)

It could be Ford engineers testing new tweaks and prepping for future model years.
Maybe it has a future RS drivetrain that they are testing, or maybe they are just testing a different A/C compressor...

It could even be journalists that were given a car to drive by Ford. Think Top Gear's cross country journey...

I'm sure there are reasons I'm not including, but you get the idea. Manufacturer plates are everywhere.
It's cool to see them because you always wonder just WHY that car is driving around with that plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts