Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Fascinating ... So you are thinking the update they performed messed something up?

Still dont know why they had to do that to beigin with? Was it a recall notice? I have not received anything from ford about this? And what was the problem that it required an update to begin with?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Your second statement is not true. The TPMS system ford uses does not differentiate which tire is low, just that one of your tires is low. It has no way of knowing tire position. Systems equipped on other brands have this capability, but Ford does not currently. When you rotate tires, you don't need to re-program.

Chad, your problems are consistent with a low system voltage. If they can't figure it out today, set up a multimeter to look at your system voltage while driving, see what it reads next time you have the event.
Thanks for clarification. Again was just going by what service manager told me.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Fascinating ... So you are thinking the update they performed messed something up?

Still don't know why they had to do that to begin with? Was it a recall notice? I have not received anything from ford about this? And what was the problem that it required an update to begin with?
No idea JT... I don't see a TSB or recall for that in the service manual online. Possibly my version is not as up-to-date as the dealers. All I know is they told me there was a reprogram to the air bag module. I am taking it back tomorrow morning, and explaining my findings.

Doing their job for them...so I can get this problem fixed.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dealers says: Corroded Speed Sensor was throwing all those codes with the BCM & ABS modules. So interesting a sensor would do that to the entire car.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Dealers says: Corroded Speed Sensor was throwing all those codes with the BCM & ABS modules. So interesting a sensor would do that to the entire car.
A lot of the fancy control schemes in machines/vehicles now are dependent upon highly leveraged sensors to drive down cost. For example, instead of installing a 12$ temp sensor in order to protect some of our systems, we leverage an upstream temp sensor, an upstream pressure sensor, and two mathematical models to make a "virtual" temp sensor. The mantra in the business is: "Software is free!". If you could see our control model trees, there are 3 or 4 sensors which "touch" virtually every engine system we have.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Glad they found the problem but corroded? Unless you've been driving through acid that seems pretty odd on a car this new, IMO.
salt + water will do terrible terrible things to most automotive connectors if they breach the seal. Something as simple as incorrectly locking the connector during assembly or somebody not installing the seal properly during harness manufacturing can cause seal failures. The seals on automotive style connectors are especially bad because they are installed before crimping on the blade style socket/pin. It's a non-trivial process.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, they did say, "We have to start somewhere.." so if it doesn't fix the problem, then...

Wait .... so does that mean my uninformed half assed guess was correct? I should get a prize.

You are correct! I kept asking myself how the :xxx: would a sensor take out my power steering? My ability to have a soft feel on the brakes, and make hill start not work right?

:)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Well ... Just one more reason i love this forum ... Learn something every day. I knew this car was software dependent but never would have imagined to this degree. Wow kinda scary..

Glad its solved Chad.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Welp..update.

Sure as shit, the :xxx: speed sensor was the problem. I have not had the freak outs come back since I got it back from the dealer yesterday.

Hope this thread helps others.

·
Registered
786 Posts
And now everyone knows what it is if these set of symptoms pop up. You probably saved some old dude like me from a future heart attack! :D

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Sure as shit, the :xxx: speed sensor was the problem. I have not had the freak outs come back since I got it back from the dealer yesterday.
My 2001 Focus has a flaky wheel speed sensor. It does some weird stuff, including indicating I am going 0mph when I'm actually doing 60. It only freaks out for about 5 minutes each month though, so it never fails when I have it at the shop. Guess I could just replace all four, but would rather just find the faulty one and replace it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Got a Theme:
Hill start assist statusABS moduleInput used to provide the hill start assist message display

Vehicle speedABS moduleVehicle speed data used for speedometer indication.

Wheel speed data ABSUsed to validate the steering wheel component angle by comparing the rotational speeds of each wheel. The difference in the speed of each wheel is used to derive a steering angle for comparison against the absolute steering angle message from the SASM.

ABS warning indicator requestABS moduleInput used to control the ABS warning indicator.

Stability/traction control indicationABS moduleInput used to control the stability/traction control indicator (sliding car icon).

Power mode BCMUsed to confirm the ignition status of the vehicle.

The EPAS enters a manual steering mode (no electrical steering assistance is provided) when a concern that is considered to be a critical safety concern is detected. In manual steering mode, the vehicle has mechanical steering operation only, which gives steering operation a heavy feel.

See a theme? ABS Module.
When something goes wrong with the ABS module in a Ford a lot of things stop working. EPS even uses ABS for straight ahead plausibility.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for all the posts guys. :D Its still fixed. Day 4 :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Having the exact same issue after getting my springs put on yesterday. Where exactly is the speed sensor? Front driver, passenger side? I need this fixed ASAP. It's pissing me off.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The speed sensors are on all the wheels. Its right in the center of the hub/brake disc..behind it. Its the only black wire.

They are real inexpensive too, less than 10 bucks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Replaced both front sensors and it still didn't fix the issue. Should I replace the rear sensors even though they weren't touched? Any ideas? I assume the sensors have to be the issue. What else could cause similar symptoms? It's driving me nuts.....no pun intended.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just took my ST to the dealer today for the exact symptoms you described. They wcouldnt figure it out and got me a rental. Now I can call them up Monday and tell them how to fix my car. Chad you sir are the man! So glad I looked in here!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts