Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey is the push button start available on automatics only? Or does it just not work if you're in gear? I can't find anything that mentions it specifically, but the ford website lets you build a manual with the push start.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
The push button start is standard on all ST models and the ST is only available with a 6-speed manual. All you have to do is put your foot on the clutch, press the button and voila the engine starts!

·
Registered
175 Posts
The push button start is standard on all ST models and the ST is only available with a 6-speed manual. All you have to do is put your foot on the clutch, press the button and voila the engine starts!
This.

I'm not sure if jay is looking for a more general response, but yes automatics can have push start. They have to be in park or neutral to start.

As a side note I am very excited about this feature. Nothing more annoying than having to wiggle and persuade my key to go into my current car's ignition.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think you also need a foot on the brake (I thought I read that in the manual that was released a week or so ago.)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Anyone not currently using push button start on his or her car will love this feature. I'm hesitant to buy any car without it now that I have it in my titanium so I was extremely happy to see they kept it for the st. SO nice not having to even take your keys out of your pocket. Even if the car is locked it'll sense your hand on the door handle and unlocks itself. Very very cool feature that all cars should have.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Anyone not currently using push button start on his or her car will love this feature. I'm hesitant to buy any car without it now that I have it in my titanium so I was extremely happy to see they kept it for the st. SO nice not having to even take your keys out of your pocket. Even if the car is locked it'll sense your hand on the door handle and unlocks itself. Very very cool feature that all cars should have.
Ya, it sure feels awesome to just grab the door and pull it open.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think the OP is confused on push button start vs. remote start. Any transmission can have push button start, but I think there's only one or two aftermarket remote start kits that work for manuals. Basically they have to be able to check if the car is in neutral and if the e-brake is applied before it will start the engine. This is a problem for anyone who lives in a hilly area, since when parking on a hill you should keep the car in 1st if facing uphill (R if facing down) so that if your e-brake fails your car won't roll into traffic.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Does it keep someone else from opening the door from the outside while you're in the car with the doors locked. Car jacker for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I think the OP is confused on push button start vs. remote start. Any transmission can have push button start, but I think there's only one or two aftermarket remote start kits that work for manuals. Basically they have to be able to check if the car is in neutral and if the e-brake is applied before it will start the engine. This is a problem for anyone who lives in a hilly area, since when parking on a hill you should keep the car in 1st if facing uphill (R if facing down) so that if your e-brake fails your car won't roll into traffic.
Yep, I figure the OP also confused push button start with remote start. The ST will NOT have an option for remote start, but all STs will have push button start.

While on the subject of parking a manual, don't forget to always turn the wheels slightly in toward the curb when facing downhill, and slightly out away from the curb when facing uphill. Again, if the e-brake fails and the car comes out of gear, the friction of the front tires against the curb may help prevent it from rolling away (depending on the degree of the incline and the curb height).

·
Registered
93 Posts
I stopped and started it at the ST Academy, but can't say if you need a foot on the brake or not. By default I always hit the clutch and brake when I start a car.
The link below is from Motorcraft's Supplemental 2013 Focus ST Manual. Take a look at the bottom of page 10 and it gives the written instructions for how to start the vehicle with push button start.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WODFOC/~MUS~LEN/41/13focst1e.pdf

I really hope that this is dumbed down for people who don't have common sense, because if we have to have the parking brake activated to start the car, and have the clutch down, ill be very disappointed. Hopefully its just the clutch.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The link below is from Motorcraft's Supplemental 2013 Focus ST Manual. Take a look at the bottom of page 10 and it gives the written instructions for how to start the vehicle with push button start.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WODFOC/~MUS~LEN/41/13focst1e.pdf

I really hope that this is dumbed down for people who don't have common sense, because if we have to have the parking brake activated to start the car, and have the clutch down, ill be very disappointed. Hopefully its just the clutch.
Just the clutch. I have the push button start on my manual Titanium.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Does it keep someone else from opening the door from the outside while you're in the car with the doors locked. Car jacker for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I read your post and just tried it in my Titanium while in motion and could not open the door. Had the window down and pulled on the outside door handle, locked nicely so no one can open it from the outside.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just the clutch. I have the push button start on my manual Titanium.
Pardon my ignorance, but I wasn't aware that you could get a Titanium with a manual tranny? It was actually the reason I passed up a Focus in 2012 (the standard Focus just didn't have enough oomph).

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The manual was late availability for the Titanium. Just go to the Build & Price page now and you can build a Titanium with a 5-sp manual.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. I was, in fact, confusing push button start with remote start (pushing a button on the key fob). I have used this feature on an Edge before, and it's very cool. The key never has to come out of your pocket.

Has anyone else with push button start noticed the car battery goes dead pretty quick? I wonder if the car is always looking for that signal from the keyfob. I travel for work a lot, and when I drove the Edge it was dead after 2 days every time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
brand new. it was a 2011 company car, off-the-lot to me, where i drove it for a few months straight with no problems, then i started travelling and every time it went dead. could have been an issue with the edge, but logic points me to the fact that remote access means the car is always active, looking for that signal. i don't know enough to know whether this uses more electricity than, say, the clock. just a thought. this (focus) will be my daily driver, but i'll still be doing international travel, so i hope it doesn't go dead every time. my wife drives the raptor once or twice a week to keep it from dying, but she doesn't know how to drive a standard.

yet...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts