Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have been meaning to post this for a while, but the result of my most recent road trip has finally got me motivated!
How is the quality of the paint on your ST?

I recently have done 3x 500mile trips in my Oxford White ST and EACH has resulted in 2-3 NEW significant chips (exposing the steel underneath) on the hood / bumper / front of the car. Of the 15,000 miles I have done, only about 2,500 has been highway driving and so feel the 12 or so chips I have is not acceptable. I have had the car for 15 months and love it but at this rate it will be in terrible shape in just a few years, especially as I will be doing more highway driving soon.
I typically drive the speed limit (on the highway!) and detail and look after my car very carefully. I have never had such an issue with any previous car, new or used.

I apologize if there is another post on this topic, I searched but could not find one.

Thanks in advance,
Howard

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm not impressed with the paint on my OW ST as well. I do drive sort of fast on the highway, but it still no excuse. I have several chips on my front bumper, my hood......I even have one on the driver side mirror. I know I should have gotten a plastic bra or something, but I would have never expected having each chip I got go right to bear metal. I've been imploying touch-up paint and clearcoat like crazy, which looks like shit by the way.

I worked in a body shop for 3 years, and non of the paint jobs we ever did chipped like this car. That is what clearcoat is made for right? To protect the damn paint underneath! One of my very few pet peeves of the ST.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
The paint on my ST is very hard. Very resilient to swirls and marring. However, I've also noticed that it chips very easily, yet it seems like it only goes down to the primer. I have yet to see bare metal from a chip. This is good, because it prevents corrosion during the winter months.

Before I detail it sometime in April (damn Cleveland and its terrible winters...), I'm going to try repairing it as best as I can. Curing with a heat gun, wet sanding, the whole nine yards. If you search "paint chip repair" on DRIVE's youtube channel (it's blocked at work), there's a great tutorial for repairing paint chips to where you'd have to use a magnifying glass to tell. Even with the multiple kits on the market, it's still pretty noticeable to you (maybe not others who don't know where it is, but I know my eyes will go right to them when I wash my car).

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I installed a clear bra before last winter because of how bad the chips were getting. I have a nice new one right on the leading edge of my hood. As stated, an observation I have made is that it doesn't go past the primer, but man the paint on this car is getting beat up.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yep, my OW chips easy as well.

However I think it's not just the paint. The angle of the hood doesn't help. My Corvette doesn't chip as easy but it has a "flatter" hood so most rocks are on the down arc when they bounce off (not on the upward direct trajectory).

·
Registered
418 Posts
I washed my ST about a week ago for the first time in a long time (blame winter) and I was depressed when I saw all the chips on my paint. On my ST I've found that's it's the worst behind the front wheels towards the bottom.

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses guys. It is amazing how we are all looking at ways to help avoid chipping our paint when in reality it is all down to a fault of the makers. Has anyone ever complained to ford about this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. It is amazing how we are all looking at ways to help avoid chipping our paint when in reality it is all down to a fault of the makers. Has anyone ever complained to ford about this?
What are you expecting they they do for YOUR car ? Nothing probably ... perhaps it is noted for future production but I highly doubt this.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My wife has a blue candy 12 Focus with 36k miles, I have 21k miles on my RR ST. My wife has zero chips and I have one. I am very impressed with the durability of the paint compared to other cars I have owned.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mine is holding up very well. I actually even had some rocks hit my car the other day and no damage. I was for certain I chipped my windscreen and hood and nothing. I looked for ever trying to find chips.

She will be getting a good cleaning and waxing here in a few weeks though so may find a chip or two, fingers crossed that I have none.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 2013 TS, and have been very impressed with the paint job. No visible flaws after almost 6500 miles.

·
Registered
726 Posts
my TS is chip city. FWIW, it's the same process as the blue candy, which i also had on a 12 focus. Many fewer chips. ST paint must be very brittle.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I wonder if it has anything to do with the conditions the paint was under during the curing stage... My car sat on a dealer lot for at least 4 months, baking in the summer heat. I wonder if that caused it to cure harder than it's supposed to.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I notice more problems with the plastic nose than the metal areas. Impossible to keep the dents and nicks off that nose as its so soft. And very hard to clean as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
noticed a big rock chip in the plastic front bumper today. I have 13,500 on my 2013 st. I do a fair amount of highway driving. I might plasti dip the front bumper. Im doing my wheels this week so i guess i will see how they turn out first

1 - 20 of 31 Posts