Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several pics of pre-production ST3 HID lights, but there seem to be two variants. One that is totally chrome with the projector, and one that is blacked out around the projector. I like the look of the blacked out housings on my Titanium, and I'm hoping the ST comes with blacked out housings on the HID's. Anyone know for sure?

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Moved to exterior forum.

Chad ~ iPad

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm planning on picking up an ST2. I'm really hoping the OEM Projector headlights will be plug and play with the ST2's because I really want them. :\

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
May need an adaptor for the headlights. In the past a harness from an Audi plugged into the Ford harness and then the headlights and that was about all it took.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Only problem is the list price for the Focus HID headlights on the Ford parts site are over $1800 EACH:

2012 Ford Focus - Headlight Assembly | FordParts.com

Once you add misc parts and (possibly) installation, you could be looking at a $4-5k kit/replacement cost. Not even sure I want them any more for that, I can't imagine if I ended up breaking them someday. I would probably cry. For comparison the standard light assemblies are a little over $300.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Nice bulbs look better and better all the time!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Only problem is the list price for the Focus HID headlights on the Ford parts site are over $1800 EACH:

Once you add misc parts and (possibly) installation, you could be looking at a $4-5k kit/replacement cost. Not even sure I want them any more for that, I can't imagine if I ended up breaking them someday. I would probably cry. For comparison the standard light assemblies are a little over $300.
Holy Santa Claus :xxx: I will not be buying these.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If I ended up upgrading to an ST3 and getting them I'd just worry about that one day one happens to break, as headlights can and do. ~$300 I can handle, but ~$1800 is crazy. Maybe they will come down as more of them are out there?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah but thats today. In a year or so when they are hopefully offered on the titanium and the supply of them is higher, I'm sure the price will come down. I remember when the Mach headlights first came out. Crazy expensive. Then the SVT came with them and a couple years later the prices were manageable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shouldn't it most likely be covered either under the initial warranty or insurance? How would the headlight just break? And if you're referring to the bulb going out, well isn't it the overall housing unit that costs $$$, whereas the bulbs themselves aren't that ridiculous?

·
Registered
353 Posts
What I don't get is the mentality of, "I'm not getting XXXX, because if it ever breaks, it's gonna be expensive to fix!" You better not buy anything ever again then, because if all you do is worry about what happens if it breaks, you're either not going to enjoy it, or can't afford the repairs. Enjoy it while you have it, fix it if it breaks, or don't. It's that easy. Besides, how often do headlamps just break? (in situations where insurance wouldn't cover at least part of it, that is)

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
If I ended up upgrading to an ST3 and getting them I'd just worry about that one day one happens to break, as headlights can and do. ~$300 I can handle, but ~$1800 is crazy. Maybe they will come down as more of them are out there?
There is a Ford Dealer who Sponsors Focal Jet and Fiesta Faction; who does offer great pricing on OEM parts. So, it stands to reason you won't pay $1800 for one. We are talking about a quite extensive headlamp. And we are talking about a lamp with LED's as well. Btw, have you ever price out a pair of Audi headlamps? BMW for that matter?

I think its worth it to just buy the ST3 package because you get more for you buck with the add-ons. IMO. I did consider retro fitting ST2 headlamps, but then I loose all of cool stuff the ST3 package comes with.

A retro with good projectors will cost you near a $1000.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
What I don't get is the mentality of, "I'm not getting XXXX, because if it ever breaks, it's gonna be expensive to fix!" You better not buy anything ever again then, because if all you do is worry about what happens if it breaks, you're either not going to enjoy it, or can't afford the repairs. Enjoy it while you have it, fix it if it breaks, or don't. It's that easy. Besides, how often do headlamps just break? (in situations where insurance wouldn't cover at least part of it, that is)
Things happen. All it takes is a screwdriver left in the wrong place when the hood is closed, a fender bender, a stray rock, your neighbor's kid (who doesn't tell anyone). I rarely drive at night and when I do it's on freeways that are generally well lit with lots of cars anyway, so HIDs are just not worth the price premium and possible replacement cost to me. $650 vs $3600 MSRP replacement cost for something I use maybe 10-20 times a year? Easy decision. If you use them a lot it's a great investment to be able to see better but if you don't? They're not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts