1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Amateur only. Autocross and ice racing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Amateur, Autocross, Lapping, Drag Racing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I started out with autox, and moved into some time attack stuff on full track courses. Then I found my way into the drifting scene and did that for 3 or 4 years in a 1995 Nissan 240sx. I sold that and picked up a Civic Si (FG2), did some more autox.. I'm driving a 2008 Cobalt SS/TC now, it really hasn't seen much action outside of a few trips to the drag strip.

The Focus ST is more of my definition of a "family friendly vehicle" with a little bit of racing heritage. It's what I envision my more "mature self" driving, since I'm quickly approaching middle age. I'd like to get back into autox one day, but not sure if the ST is going to the vehicle that gets me to do that. Depends on the feel I get once I'm behind the wheel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I race motocross but im all about performance and I noticed the ST last fall and was ready for a new ride

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Just a bit of Kart racing. Never really took part in sanctioned events though as the Briggs flathead motors I built up for us are totally not legal for it at all...Yea no thanks I'm not going to make my motor slower! But we do have a lot of fun with family and friends at the local tracks once in a while.

Hardly anyone seems to run Briggs flatheads anymore though, but they sound so much better then all those clone OHVs out there. Those clone guys always like to talk about how fast their stock harbor freight motor is and how they got it for so cheap...just love beating them though as I fly around them while their valves float down all down the straights. Just not giving that up.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just a bit of Kart racing. Never really took part in sanctioned events though as the Briggs flathead motors I built up for us are totally not legal for it at all...Yea no thanks I'm not going to make my motor slower! But we do have a lot of fun with family and friends at the local tracks once in a while.

Hardly anyone seems to run Briggs flatheads anymore though, but they sound so much better then all those clone OHVs out there. Those clone guys always like to talk about how fast their stock harbor freight motor is and how they got it for so cheap...just love beating them though as I fly around them while their valves float down all down the straights. Just not giving that up.
My dad is a Briggs & Stratton dealer, and he has literally hundreds of old engine blocks and parts lying around. You anywhere near eastern South Dakota? I'm fairly certain he still has flathead stuff, would all have to be dug out of a scrap metal bin and inspected/cleaned up/possibly machined a bit...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My dad is a Briggs & Stratton dealer, and he has literally hundreds of old engine blocks and parts lying around. You anywhere near eastern South Dakota? I'm fairly certain he still has flathead stuff, would all have to be dug out of a scrap metal bin and inspected/cleaned up/possibly machined a bit...
Very cool! Thanks for the offer, but my main problem now though is aftermarket service parts (I beam babbits, timing gears, rod bolts, etc.). Most of the stock Briggs stuff was replaced before the motor was even run (so it doesn't explode when we turn it 9,000+ rpm). Either way I live down in California, so it would be a bit tough to get up there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Drag racing. Been doing it for years. Used to be REALLY into it, but when it becomes more work than fun, it is time to take a step back. Had an '88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe that I ran all over the country. Best time was 8.06 @ 171 mph. And, no, it didn't have a turbo 4 in it anymore.. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
SCCA Solo (autocross) racing. Nebraska Region--Rookie Driver of the Year (2010), Street Touring (ST) class champion (2010), F-Street Prepared (FSP) class champion (2011). All in my 2004 Mazda 3, 5-door. Fun little car but I just turned 181,000 miles on it, as it's also my daily driver on a 102-mile-per-day commute. Eventhough my 3 still runs great, I was looking for a replacement car that can fulfill both roles and I'm pretty sure I found what I was looking for in my pre-ordered ST!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Autocrossed off and on for 20 some years, was 1999 C Stock class winner Wash DC region, two seasons in SCCA Regional Road Racing in ITS class driving a rent a wreck Supra ( a good day was not getting lapped :D ).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts