Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some opinions here. I must admit, I'm liking a lot of the photos I've seen of STs with racing stripes. I like the "dual stripe" design of the official Ford stripe:
2013-05-16 09.30.54 pm.jpg

But with the thickness of the ones sold by DMB Graphics
2_1307_e.jpg

And maybe with a thicker "pinstripe", like this:
C05FB02B-858C-4F49-AB5C-2D8BB774ED5A-11885-0000026CDF698543_zps3e5fb460.jpg

As for the side...I'm not so sure. I feel like it needs to have SOMETHING there, I'm just not sure what. I like the traditional straight Mustang rocker stripe, but I don't think it will work with the "arrow" shaped side panel molding. The three I'm thinking about are:

DMB Graphics Chequer Stripe
1QB7a-6Fxnwz5YsWW1gwrb6u_wr5txgYuHcdkH4W6O4.jpeg

Shelby Checkered Stripe:
sitefordfocusshelby.jpg

MS Designs Strobe Stripe:
focus.JPG

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think the strobe is pretty legit. As far as the racing stripes go, in my mind racing stripe = viper /FGT. Now, I'm not totally dismissing it, but I think an off-center stripe/double stripe would go pretty well.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would like to do this down the road with mine. I've been trying to decide whether I want centered stripes or stripes off to one side.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Might want to wait a little while and see what Ford releases on the next model year ST. I have seen multiple driving around with racing stripes on M plates. IMO they look a little different than what is currently available.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the strobe is pretty legit. As far as the racing stripes go, in my mind racing stripe = viper /FGT. Now, I'm not totally dismissing it, but I think an off-center stripe/double stripe would go pretty well.
I was immediately smitten with the MS Designs body kit and striping before I even purchased the car. It features an off-center rally stripe:
57da314a83.jpg

Still...I kind of prefer the thicker racing/centered stripes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Not sure who did this, but back before the ST was even available, someone made this:

focusstchoprockerstripe.jpg

Just change the blue to black, and make the side stripe solid with no lettering, and call it a day!

Reactions: J-Reid

·
Registered
262 Posts
google 'ecoboost racing' ...I like what Ford has done with the off-center large stripe w/ a small stripe inside of it (if that doesn't make sense just google it)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
google 'ecoboost racing' ...I like what Ford has done with the off-center large stripe w/ a small stripe inside of it (if that doesn't make sense just google it)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm....that does look pretty slick. And with a variation on the "strobe" side graphic too.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Of the pictures you posted, I like this one the best...

I agree, I'm not big fan of any kind of stripes or graphics but that doesn't look bad. Maybe it's the added red that makes it look good, not sure.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I like this. I'd do the small stripe in red or white. If I did red, I'd probably do the calipers red as well, and a vertical double stripe from the rt rear wheel up to meet the other. 2012-sema-ford-focus-st-r-live-photos-medium_5.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With my dad's help (he does body work for a living and has done decals many times)...I went with the Shelby Checker Stripe. I daresay we got it to fit better than even Shelby did. If you take a look where the rear door meets the rear fender, we were able to get that to match up perfectly. It took some creative cutting and a small patch to the front, but I'm happy with the result. Like The Dude's rug, I think it really ties things together between the graphite wheels & side mirrors. Now I just need to decide if this is enough or if I still want the stripes down the middle. I'm also toying with plasti-dipping the spoiler.

Side Stripe - Front Angle by adfrost81, on Flickr

Side Stripe - Side by adfrost81, on Flickr

Side Stripe - Rear Angle by adfrost81, on Flickr

·
Registered
726 Posts
the car makers charge a premium to get the mirrors body color on most cars. So our idea is making them look like the cheap black ones used on base models is an improvement? I don't get that. If they were lightweight carbon fiber replacements or something, that makes sense. I'm not saying it doesn't look better. I just find it amusing what becomes 'the look'.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What's it take, about 1 can per rim?
I'm assuming you mean the wheels, though that's a bit off topic. I bought 1 can per rim, but ended up having most of a can left over. So I used that to paint the side mirrors. I also had the trunk trim piece painted, but it was a rush job and didn't look good. I plan to redo it at some point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts