Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been quite a bit of talk about how well those of "generous proportions" fit in the Recaro seats. Being one of those folks (I'm 5'11", 340 lbs., no that's not a typo), I count myself among those folks that might need be concerned. This was especially a true since I'd sat in the ST2 seats while at the Key West commercial shoot and remembered them being very very snug. Not unmanageable, but definitely worthy of concern. Enough so that I've dropped 40 lbs. since May in anticipation of fitting in them.

Well, last week I finally got some time to go sit in an ST2 at a local dealer. I'll admit I was apprehensive since I have an ST3 on order. In fact, I'd already figured out an alternative to living uncomfortably in the Recaros: buy a set of leather Titanium seats as temporary replacements (until I fully shrunk into the Recaros). But the moment I slid myself down into the ST2 Recaro, a great sense of relief came over me.

I suspect this will shock a lot of folks, but I felt very comfortable in the Recaro. I may be a fat guy, but my hip structure is not actually that wide, so when I sat in the seat, I actually felt secure between the bottom thigh/hip bolsters. It supported me well and held my legs in a position that made my feet quite comfortable for working the pedals.

The bolsters on the upper portion of the seat are a bit of a different matter though. First, I want to say that I was not uncomfortable, but in contrast to my hips, my back structure is fairly wide in the upper rib cage and shoulders. The best way to describe my experience of upper seat bolsters is that they were prominent and noticeable. I knew they were there all of the time and I could see them becoming "a thing" on long trips.

Ultimately, I sat in the seats for around 10-15 minutes total and physically felt as good or better upon getting out than I did getting in. This is a common experience for me in Recaros; they just support me in the right ways to make my body feel and work well in whatever car they're in. And they do *HOLD* you in place very very well (even at my size). I didn't feel any need to brace my leg against the door or console as I often do in cars with lesser seats. If I were to have any complaint at all about them, it's that the bottom bolsters are so prominent that they can make getting out a bit trickier/tougher than I'd like. I'll just have to change how I exit a car seat a bit.

All in all, I'm very much looking forward to getting my ST3 and enjoying sitting in the Recaros. Every person's body is different, as are their preferences and comfort requirements, but I feel plenty confident in saying there's no reason to automatically assume that the ST's Recaros will be a poor fit or uncomfortable for "larger" ST owners. It will just depend on you and your wants/needs. For me, I'm gonna be in rapture in those ST Recaros.

Hope this helps someone else with their concerns about the ST's Recaros. If you're still not sure, find a dealer nearby that has one you can check out, and go sit in the seats for a bit. You might find yourself very pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Congrats on the 40 lbs. Wyatt, and best of luck on the rest of your goal. Lots of good reasons to bring the weight down, of which I'm sure you're aware, though perhaps none more important than fitting into a nice Recaro seat :p

·
Registered
361 Posts
Same category for me, though probably even less well proportioned (the back's fine for me, which means the is that much worse), and they seem okay. I worry a bit about the daily driver or long trip factor, but even though they're snug, they're not uncomfortable to me. And on each test drive, I always think "um" when I sit in them, but fifteen minutes later I've completely forgotten about it and don't notice the seats at all. So I suspect it's more a matter of me getting used to the things.

I managed to slouch around a bit on the passenger side, imagining shifting for a long trip. You can sit in something other than the perfect driving position and be comfortable. On the driver's side, of course, you want to be in that driving position.

Congratulations on the weight loss. I was doing better on that a couple years ago -- 25 pounds or so -- and losing weight really does make you feel better, give you more energy, all that stuff. It's worth an effort.

Plus, now we'll get to have our cars remind us to lay off the french fries every time we sit in them. It's a feature.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wyatt, thanks so much for the in-depth review. I'm an average Joe and when I sat in one I was like damn its tight. I was quite worried about it. It sounds strange but I was affraid of being comfortable in them just like u. Its comforting knowing that I'm not the only one with concerns about these seats. U changed my mind about the seats. Major Congrats on ur weight loss!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the encouragement... it's an lifelong ongoing battle for me, but for the first time I feel more resolve than ever before about making progress on the weight loss front.

I'm also glad if sharing my experience and perspective helps anyone else. I used to be one of those folks that would let my concern overwhelm many possibilities and opportunities that presented themselves. The wisdom of age says "hell, give it a try and see" and it's been a bit of revelation, even on something so simple and relatively inconsequential as a seat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm 5'10 160lbs and you guys got me worried about not fitting in the seats.... I know for sure wife will hate them not that she's over weight but climbing over leg bolster will be a complaint.. But she also hates speed3 says " its too small I don't feel safe" yea ok honey maybe you should stay home!...haha

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm 5'10 160lbs and you guys got me worried about not fitting in the seats.... I know for sure wife will hate them not that she's over weight but climbing over leg bolster will be a complaint.. But she also hates speed3 says " its too small I don't feel safe" yea ok honey maybe you should stay home!...haha
I'm similar in proportion to you, and I would definitely say the seats are still "snug". I love it, really makes me feel like part of the car. For anyone who doesn't like that feeling of being held in place, I could see it being an issue. My wife didn't like the seats at all at first, but she's getting used to it.

The one place I really notice where the seats grab at you is just under the arms. The side bolsters take a little getting used to.

But like I said, it feels perfect once you're behind the wheel. The recaros really do a lot to improve the driving characteristics and help give you that "connected" feeling.

Also, I've yet to pull myself out of the car and feel lower back pain, which is something I am familiar with even at age 31. By far the best car seats I've ever sat in. :thumb:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rowan, I definitely empathize on the lower back pain, and even hip discomfort, in a lot of automotive seats. What I've found is that at my size I need as much (if not more) bolstering than the average driver, which is why I think Recaros always make me feel better when I get out than when I got in. I can't stand my '02 Impala or our '07 Odyssey... the ST is going to be a hugely welcome change on so many levels, but especially seating.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm 6'4" 240 w/ broad shoulders, It's a tight fit but still comfortable. My biggest complaint is that if you have a wide stance in the leg region, it kind of smashes your junk (trying to be as PC as possible :) ). I did 300 mi in one run last weekend and was still quite comfortable when I got out of my car. You definitely can't slouch or you start to get into shoulders hitting the side bolsters.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm 6'4" 240 w/ broad shoulders, It's a tight fit but still comfortable. My biggest complaint is that if you have a wide stance in the leg region, it kind of smashes your junk (trying to be as PC as possible :) ). I did 300 mi in one run last weekend and was still quite comfortable when I got out of my car. You definitely can't slouch or you start to get into shoulders hitting the side bolsters.
Good to hear. I'm 6'5" and 265 and wondered about this myself. My autocross car (BMW Z3) has Recaro SPG Profi XL shells which are fixed back and similarly snug. Once you are in them, they fit like a glove. Getting in for those who are not versed can be a little tricky but the Ford ST Recaros are supposed to be the nicest seat in any production car according to a friend in the industry.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm looking forward to these seats - I love the snug feeling. I had really nice seats in my 1990 T-Bird SC. The side bolsters were adjustable on that car and I always had them as far "in" as they would go. In my opinion, they were the best seats ever put in a Ford...until the ST of course. :p

The seats in my Mustang are a joke - very little bolstering at all. I actually tried to fit in seats from a wrecked SC in the Mustang, but they were too wide to work. I would have had to remove the console to make them fit properly. :(

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Yea I sat in a boss yesterday and was astonishes by the lack of bolstering. They felt about the same as the regular focus. Even the ST1 seats felt much snugger to me.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
SO you are worried about rattling around like a BB in a bucket? That is indeed a fair enough concern of thought.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I finally had a chance to see my first ST2 this week, and was pretty shocked at how tight the seats are. I consider myself to be in pretty decent shape, but being barrel-shaped and about 215 pounds, the lower ribcage felt a bit of a pinch. The wife loved them though. Since I'm getting the ST3 with full leather, my quick fix will be to drive shirtless, slathered in butter, until either I lose another 10 lbs, or the seats "break in" a bit.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's definitely the upper bolsters that are most noticeable when sitting in the seats. The Recaros in the Boss are actually more comfy-comfy comparatively, but I think the ST Recaros are the better seats.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yea i sat in a St2 today.. and oh lord, these are not fat boy compatible. I mean, it's not bad, nice snug fit, but gotta drop 20 lbs and should be g2g. => 6'2' - 280lbs

·
Registered
361 Posts
I got used to them pretty quick, actually. Three test drives and one other trip, so maybe two, three hours of sitting in the things. My perception went from "Um" to not even noticing. It's unusual, not bad.

Having gotten used to the style, I'm comfortable sitting in them. The question remaining in my mind is just getting in and out as a daily driver, over that high side bolster. Normally I just sit and turn to get in, or reverse to get out, and the high bolster is noticeable as you climb over it into or out of the seat. Maybe there's a new technique I'd need to learn.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts