Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I loved reading this thread even though it kinda doesn't apply much to me since I'm 5' 7" and 145lb but still a great read. I've never had a performance car and certainly haven't had the luxury of sitting in any type of Recaro seat so the snugness was a very welcome feeling. As for those concerned with getting out of the car easily I found that grabbing the steering wheel to help "pull" yourself up instead of merely swinging your leg to the side helped quite a bit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I thought it might be a good idea to buy some factory Ford replacement seat upholstery for the Recaro's. I can see the left side of the driver's seat getting pretty worn from getting in and out over a few years. My 1990 T-Bird SC had pretty good sized bolsters and they did wear pretty bad after about 5 years.

After looking in the Ford catalog, the seat upholstery for full leather Recaro's is $1,275.83 per seat. So, I can't see myself dropping $2500 just for front seat upholstery. I think I could get an upholstery shop to do it for about half of that if I need a seat refresh either for myself or resale. I guess this is good motivation to keep the leather clean and conditioned.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If you're interested in replacement upholstery, we (NASTOC) are working with a major automotive upholstery company on some upholstery upgrade and replacement options that may be of interest. They will be based on the original Recaro patterns and authorized by Recaro. We'll make an announcement when it's available.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My seats aren't Recaro or any sweet brand. Just some OEM leather seats with a heater. Its not like ladies give a damn if you have Recaros.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Something to consider... With the ST2's partial leather/partial cloth, if you're on the larger side, I think the clothes your wearing has a big impact. It seems like the cloth near the thigh bolsters almost acts like Velcro with some fabrics.

My first time in them, I had some cargo pants on and when I sat down, the seats just grabbed 'em. Gave me the Recaro wedgie of doom and made sitting wicked uncomfortable. Next time I had some dress pants on and slid right in.

I knew this car would make me need to change my pants, but that wasn't exactly what I had on mind. 😃

·
Registered
99 Posts
Something to consider... With the ST2's partial leather/partial cloth, if you're on the larger side, I think the clothes your wearing has a big impact. It seems like the cloth near the thigh bolsters almost acts like Velcro with some fabrics.

My first time in them, I had some cargo pants on and when I sat down, the seats just grabbed 'em. Gave me the Recaro wedgie of doom and made sitting wicked uncomfortable. Next time I had some dress pants on and slid right in.

I knew this car would make me need to change my pants, but that wasn't exactly what I had on mind. ��
Thank god I wear dress pants 5 days of the week!

How is it with jeans? That's the other 2 days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Throwing my .02 in the ring. Sat in a recaro-equipped ST at my local dealer, and I think they fit snug but fine. They'll conform a bit after some use, and that's fine. They were about as snug than my E36 M3 sport ("vader") seats, but I drove in those for years and they were fine. For reference, I am 5'11", ~270, with broad back/shoulders, and I seemed to fit well. Was very impressed with the interior overall, and the seat / wheel / shifter / pedal ergos are dreamy. This one was equipped with a moonroof as well, and the headroom was more than adequate. I wouldn't be so sure about sitting in there with a helmet on, but I have no plans for track/autox - if you do, you may want to evaluate that.

Also - another of my .02: For those complaining that it doesn't have a "dead pedal", you are right - there's no "pedal". However, there is a nice big flat spot of flooring where you could put one, if you were so inclined. Either way - the flooring where a dead "pedal" would be will work just fine to serve the function of what a dead pedal does - i.e., mash your foot against it so you stay in place when cornering. I could see being worried about carpet wear, but I'm sure somebody will have a solution for this soon enough. So for those that haven't sat in one yet, don't be too worried about a lack of "pedal" - the floorboard shape serves the purpose just fine.

Also also - holy crap, markup. The floor model the dealer had (Capitol Ford in San Jose if anybody's interested) was a black ST with ST2 package and moonroof and Nav - *no* ST3 package - and sticker price was $36k.. What? That's mustang GT territory...

Also also also - I was wearing a t-shirt and jeans and noticed no sticking or any other weird fabric issues on the seat material. The seats were the blue/black recaro covering, which I believe is alcantara / leather?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Maybe this has been said before, but has anyone compared the SVT's Euro Package Recaro seats to the ST's Recaros? I just test drove an ST2 at Fair Oaks Ford in Naperville, and we *might* be making a lot out of a little here. I'm 6', 190, and I would say that the SVT and ST Recaros are *very* similar. The ST may be a little tighter through the shoulder, which I like, but the bucket itself doesn't seem any too much worse than the old SVT. My only comment might be (I didn't spend a lot of time poking around and now wish I had) that the SVT Recaros may have better lumbar adjustment. In fact...they might have it and the ST might not at all. So that I can see potentially bothering me - the SVT is comfy to me even on a long road trip, and the ST might not be, since I usually drive with lumbar out on "max".

Perhaps I'm used to the loving embrace of my SVT, but I can say that I'm definitely not worried about fitting comfily in to the ST. In fact, for a little extra bonus, I think the ST seat will lower more than the SVT will, so even with the sunroof, 6' me will have no problem with headroom. It's a bit tight in the SVT, to the point where I slouch a bit.

I will say that I'm glad I wanted the ST3 - I'm not a big fan of the ST2 cloth/leather combo. But to each his/her own.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just sat in one this morning and It's funny cause I felt the exact same thing. I'm 5"11, 205 lbs and a fairly athletic guy [US Army] and when first getting in they felt too snug but after a minute or so they feel normal.
My biggest issues will be resolved after a long road trip. The main issue is, after ordering on 27 July I still don't have a VIN# or build date. Oxford White, ST2.

Thanks Y'all

Dan

Warner Barracks, Babmberg Germany

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have to say that the seats in the ST2 is what finally pushed me into an ST1. (Also, I had no interest in MFT.) I'm 5'8" and 200 lbs and I just wasn't comfortable in them during the test drive. They seemed too tight around my ribs. I certainly can understand why these seats would be a welcome feature, but it's wasted on someone like me who's flirting with middle age and just looking for a reasonably quick commuter car with some utility.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe this has been said before, but has anyone compared the SVT's Euro Package Recaro seats to the ST's Recaros? I just test drove an ST2 at Fair Oaks Ford in Naperville, and we *might* be making a lot out of a little here. I'm 6', 190, and I would say that the SVT and ST Recaros are *very* similar. The ST may be a little tighter through the shoulder, which I like, but the bucket itself doesn't seem any too much worse than the old SVT. My only comment might be (I didn't spend a lot of time poking around and now wish I had) that the SVT Recaros may have better lumbar adjustment. In fact...they might have it and the ST might not at all. So that I can see potentially bothering me - the SVT is comfy to me even on a long road trip, and the ST might not be, since I usually drive with lumbar out on "max".

Perhaps I'm used to the loving embrace of my SVT, but I can say that I'm definitely not worried about fitting comfily in to the ST. In fact, for a little extra bonus, I think the ST seat will lower more than the SVT will, so even with the sunroof, 6' me will have no problem with headroom. It's a bit tight in the SVT, to the point where I slouch a bit.

I will say that I'm glad I wanted the ST3 - I'm not a big fan of the ST2 cloth/leather combo. But to each his/her own.

I'm 6'2" , 215 lbs and I'm fine with the fit of the driver's seat other than the lack of lumbar/lower back support. That's always a problem with reliability/warranty for any OEM but to not have any option is uncomfortable. My lower back is not happy if I'm in that seat more than an hour.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm 6'3" 230 and definitely a little concerned. I am an athletic build (rugby does wonders) so my waist is small but my legs and upper back/chest/shoulders are big. I definitely felt a little cramped in the legs and the upper back while sitting in the car. Not too bad uncomfortable, but I do wonder how they would do on my 40 mile commutes. Does anyone know if there is a major difference between the ST2 and ST3 seats? I assume it is just the material but...who knows.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've wondered the same thing, Cavilry. My issue is, I've waited so long with no information, if I change my order I may never see the damn thing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a major difference between the ST2 and ST3 seats?
I think they're the same other than the covering. Recaro lists both cloth/leather and full leather variants of the model. (Also an all-cloth one; that's not the ST1 seat, but I'm not sure where it's going; maybe someplace outside the US, maybe just an early option Ford didn't actually use, wanting to save some more money on the base package.)

RECARO: Ford Focus ST

·
Registered
12 Posts
im 6'5", 215lbs, and very broad in the ribcage/shoulder area. my initial impression of the recaros in my st2 was 'no way this is going to work'. i liked the car so much that i decided to purchase anyways (maybe stupidly) and its a non-issue these days. the first week was a little tight, but the drivers seat has settled into a combination of comfort and support that im extremely happy with. while i echo other comments about lack of lower back support, i find its only an issue when im slouching.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm torn, I've got this love-hate thing going with my ST2 seats. I'm 6'2", 215lbs, wide shoulders, some spare tire too though. I actuallylove the way the Recaros hold me in place.

Today I took the back way from Allentown to Wilkes Barre and conquered both the Weatherly Hill Climb going up as well as the Giants despair climb going down. This car is just such a monster, going up the weatherly climb road it just feels like the car absolutely knows what you're trying to do and My G-meter was giving values that the wifey and I just couldn't believe, she and I both commented, wow, these seats really hold you in place.

Now for the hate. Because we decided to hit all those great roads, the trip was a little longer than usual, 1 3/4 hours vs. The usual 1 1/4. Our backs were killing us, we were both shifting around like crazy to get comfortable. My wallet in my pocket had to go early on, that was really causing problems. It almost feels like the seats are underbolstered and you're hitting on frame parts. Its not just a weight issue, my wife is 94 lbs and was uncomfortable too. Just Coming home later we just took the highway because it was late, man, we were really feeling the pain in our backs.

Problem is, can't really remember if my '12 sport seats were the same. I do remember us putting on our seat heaters to eliminate some back pain, but don't think it was this bad.

Geez, I'd sure hate to get some padded seat covers to cover these beautiful seats...

·
Registered
922 Posts
^^ Very disconcerting to hear of such back pain with Recaros (and your post is not the first I've heard of this)...

·
Registered
381 Posts
i feel like my back has been hurting less since i got into the recaros lol. Push your butt back as far as you can and don't slouch. works wonders.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've got a new car about every 3 years for the part 15 years. Without fail each time I get a new car I go through a few days of back pain. I think it has more to do with different seating posture than the quality of the seats. When I first got the ST2 I took a drive to Dallas and back over the weekend, about a 4 hour drive each way, and noticed a bit of lower back pain on the way back. I've had none since. I think it is just a normal transition to a new car more than the Recaro.

I'm a a fatty 5'8" @ 212lbs.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts