Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
i feel like my back has been hurting less since i got into the recaros lol. Push your butt back as far as you can and don't slouch. works wonders.
There is something to this. Both the wife and I noticed that when you sit up with the butt all the way back it's better, but it's an awkward position, but probably the healthiest way to sit.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I've found I'm more comfortable in the more upright position in this car than in my precious VW or the wife's Fiesta. And you're probably right about it being more correct posture. I'm sure that's why they're designed that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've found I'm more comfortable in the more upright position in this car than in my precious VW or the wife's Fiesta. And you're probably right about it being more correct posture. I'm sure that's why they're designed that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes I agree, the seats have certainly made me sit different than I have in the past. Not saying that is a bad thing. The one thing that I don't like as much is the bolsters below the legs. Those seem to be the most uncomfortable thing but maybe that isn't the right word for it.... as I settle in its not a problem. As you said they make you get into a certain posture. Just different, but that is to be expected since that is the point of the seats. I do not have any problem with the side bolsters or the back of seat. I'm about 240, with a 38inch waist. I find the seats great overall but anyone much bigger than me I would be concerned about.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm 190lbs and and the ST2 Recaros feel just fine to me. My other car as Recaros as well and they are MUCH more snug then these.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a guy sitting on the ST-purchase fence, can you tell me how you're liking the ST2 seats after several months ownership? The seats, plus the MFT system are making me a little apprehensive about buying!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wallet not a problem for me, its more of the clink clink of my cell phone going down in between the seats, me swearing, and then shredding my hand trying to fish down through the metal jungle for it haha.

·
Registered
245 Posts
As a guy sitting on the ST-purchase fence, can you tell me how you're liking the ST2 seats after several months ownership? The seats, plus the MFT system are making me a little apprehensive about buying!
As a very big guy, I can tell you I really wondered if I made a mistake when I drove home with the ST2 seats but felt like I'd believe in the "they will break in" reports. They did and I am completely comfortable with the seats. The MFT needs its update and I'll get that handled. It takes some getting used to but nothing big.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's been quite a bit of talk about how well those of "generous proportions" fit in the Recaro seats. Being one of those folks (I'm 5'11", 340 lbs., no that's not a typo), I count myself among those folks that might need be concerned. This was especially a true since I'd sat in the ST2 seats while at the Key West commercial shoot and remembered them being very very snug. Not unmanageable, but definitely worthy of concern. Enough so that I've dropped 40 lbs. since May in anticipation of fitting in them.

Well, last week I finally got some time to go sit in an ST2 at a local dealer. I'll admit I was apprehensive since I have an ST3 on order. In fact, I'd already figured out an alternative to living uncomfortably in the Recaros: buy a set of leather Titanium seats as temporary replacements (until I fully shrunk into the Recaros). But the moment I slid myself down into the ST2 Recaro, a great sense of relief came over me.

I suspect this will shock a lot of folks, but I felt very comfortable in the Recaro. I may be a fat guy, but my hip structure is not actually that wide, so when I sat in the seat, I actually felt secure between the bottom thigh/hip bolsters. It supported me well and held my legs in a position that made my feet quite comfortable for working the pedals.

The bolsters on the upper portion of the seat are a bit of a different matter though. First, I want to say that I was not uncomfortable, but in contrast to my hips, my back structure is fairly wide in the upper rib cage and shoulders. The best way to describe my experience of upper seat bolsters is that they were prominent and noticeable. I knew they were there all of the time and I could see them becoming "a thing" on long trips.

Ultimately, I sat in the seats for around 10-15 minutes total and physically felt as good or better upon getting out than I did getting in. This is a common experience for me in Recaros; they just support me in the right ways to make my body feel and work well in whatever car they're in. And they do *HOLD* you in place very very well (even at my size). I didn't feel any need to brace my leg against the door or console as I often do in cars with lesser seats. If I were to have any complaint at all about them, it's that the bottom bolsters are so prominent that they can make getting out a bit trickier/tougher than I'd like. I'll just have to change how I exit a car seat a bit.

All in all, I'm very much looking forward to getting my ST3 and enjoying sitting in the Recaros. Every person's body is different, as are their preferences and comfort requirements, but I feel plenty confident in saying there's no reason to automatically assume that the ST's Recaros will be a poor fit or uncomfortable for "larger" ST owners. It will just depend on you and your wants/needs. For me, I'm gonna be in rapture in those ST Recaros.

Hope this helps someone else with their concerns about the ST's Recaros. If you're still not sure, find a dealer nearby that has one you can check out, and go sit in the seats for a bit. You might find yourself very pleasantly surprised.
So im still a little worried considering im a big guy myself. im looking at a 2017 ST1. Im 6'3 at a whopping 370lbs. IM big but im not built sloppy, ya know? pretty wide shoulders and all around a big guy. im just a little worried and wondered if anyone on this thread could help me out

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So im still a little worried considering im a big guy myself. im looking at a 2017 ST1. Im 6'3 at a whopping 370lbs. IM big but im not built sloppy, ya know? pretty wide shoulders and all around a big guy. im just a little worried and wondered if anyone on this thread could help me out
Assuming they haven't changed the cloth sport seats in the ST1 much since the introduction of the Focus ST (and it doesn't look like they have), you'll have less to worry about than if you got an ST2 or ST3 with the Recaros. The ST1 cloth sport seats aren't nearly as heavily bolstered or sculpted as the Recaros. I think they the same as those found in the regular Focus actually, while the Recaros are unique to the ST.

BTW, this thread might make you feel a bit better, whether you get an ST1 with the cloth sport seats, or an ST2 or ST3 with the Recaros: http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-interior/7020-recaro-seats-vs-base-seats.html

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hey Djent_Jim, did you make a decision? I'm 6'3" but a mere 225 lbs. I find the Recaros comfortable enough for commuting. Long trips can be a bit uncomfortable in the shoulder blade area for me. I just cannot sit with my back flush to the seat. The seat just isn't wide enough near the top. Every now and then I go on a long ride, 300+ miles, with only a stop or two fuel. Those quick stretch breaks help. Besides that, getting in and out can be a little rough but once in I'm fine (again for general commuting etc.). For reference, I picked up my car at the beginning of Jan 2013 new and have about 37K mi on it. Yup, I mostly commute, and even at that, I take a motorcycle to work when I can in the nicer weather. If I was to buy a new ST would I get Recaros again? Probably!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts