Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching all over the forums and not coming up with much on remote starters for the ST. Best Buy is telling me all I need is a bypass module and a remote starter. I'm trying to get an idea of how much money I will have wrapped up in this and if it can actually be done. Are those really the only two major components?

Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've got a friend who professionally installs remote starts. He won't even touch my ST because of the push button start. He says push buttons starts can be done but are a huge PITA.

Sent from my Galaxy S3.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm sure it can be done. I believe you would need to bypass the neutral safety switch first.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The biggest issue beyond the push button start is the fact that the car has a manual transmission. It's not smart to put a remote start system on a car with a manual transmission due to the liability and risk of damaging the car or people/ objects. Unless you always leave the vehicle in neutral with the hand brake on the torque from the engine may allow the car to start driving away.

Particularly with the stock calibration feeding in gas even without touching the pedal if it thinks you're about to stall from a stop.

Most shops won't install the system, or if they do they won't sign papers saying they did it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They make remote start systems specifically for manual transmission cars. They have a specific sequence you must go through when you leave the care. Typically leaving the car running and getting out and locking the doors which turns off the car. You also will need a bypass module and spare key fob so that it can start the car.

·
Registered
615 Posts
They make remote start systems specifically for manual transmission cars. They have a specific sequence you must go through when you leave the care. Typically leaving the car running and getting out and locking the doors which turns off the car. You also will need a bypass module and spare key fob so that it can start the car.
It's still not a great idea, and if the shop or the owner bypasses the safety interlocks then it's even more dangerous, especially when in the hands of a dealer or other person than the owner of the vehicle.

Ex: Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....updated!! - MustangForums.com

Guy has remote starter installed in car, but apparently doesn't have an out of neutral kill switch or a hand brake sensor wired in. Brings car to dealer for failed clutch. Goes to pick the car up and the technician remote starts it with the hand brake off, the car jumps a curb and runs into a pond. The dealership tells him to pound sand for driving the car into the lake because it was his remote start that caused the car to run into the lake despite them setting the car in gear without the hand brake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it sounds like there are a bunch of wrong ways to do this and at least one correct way: get the remote starter and bypass module and make sure it is wired to the trans and the e-brake so it will only attempt to start in neutral when the brake is applied. If it is installed correctly it shouldn't be a safety concern right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's still not a great idea, and if the shop or the owner bypasses the safety interlocks then it's even more dangerous, especially when in the hands of a dealer or other person than the owner of the vehicle.
Theses systems do not bypass anything except the key fob having to be in the care. They are designed not to start if the car is in gear and the emergency break is off. They are designed explicitly for manual transmission cars and are as safe as any that are in cars with automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
While there may be a work-around, if you leave a key fob in the car to bypass the passive anti-theft module and have a keyless system it would be much easier to steal a car as well. At least with the conventional key you can usually but a spare key, not have it cut and program it to the car. For some people in really-hot or super cold climates it might be nice to get the climate controller running prior to getting into the car, but there's just too many safety compromised that I personally wouldn't be too comfortable with most of the kits I've seen on the market. Some of the higher end kits with more built-in safety mechanism and engagement procedures are better but it can still be risky.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is a company that makes a part for it. You have to add a remote start system but this interface will allow you can do it. The part retails for under $100. It's very safe and doesn't compromise any of the factory security, require you to lose a key, or bypass any safety on the manual transmission on it. I work at a car audio store and will probably be installing it in a few months. The only down side is that if you do an alarm, you can't disarm it from the passive keyless (the button on the door.) You have to use the factory remote itself or an aftermarket remote if you do that. iDatalink - ADS-AL CA

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Looks like an intersting product. If they can integrate most of the safety features it sounds like it would pretty well and the price isn't bad compared to some modules I've seen.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got a remote starter on mine.
Works good, only thing is that I have to activate it everytime before leaving the car putting it in neutral, handbrake on and leaving the car while still on. Once I shut the door, the car locks, turns off by itself and the Remote starter kicks in.
Only problem with this is that you never want to leave the keys inside and close the door. It will lock you out. Happened twice, good things I had the spare key close by.

·
Registered
66 Posts
yes i did have to get the bypass control, and it was installed by a professional. Costed me just over 300$ for a simple 1 way remote, if i wanted the "fancy stuff" price would raised to over 500$. i have been using it a lot though living in upstate NY.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the moral of the story for remote start on manual transmission cars;
-get the viper system for manuals, that thing's hard to fool
-you'll have to live with the slightly more complex shutdown procedure, at least if you want to remote start the car later.
-needs to be in neutral with the ebrake on for it to work, at all
-the complex shutdown is basically so the remote start module can be ABSOLUTELY SURE the car is not in gear when it shuts down. the viper system even has accelerators that kills the startup if it senses sudden movement
-itll be like $500 for the whole thing, installed, do not try to get it done for less than that.

and finally
-its completely worth it to never get into a freezing cold or baking hot car

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
It's 15F in Aurora right now, as I write this, and whenever my SVT dies, I will be faced with the prospect of cold starting the ST on mornings like this and driving it about 1.5 miles to the train station, then shutting it off. No way will it be warm by that point, and I'm a little worried about that kind of duty cycle every morning and night with the siphon cooling stuff on the turbo and the very long time it takes for oil to come up to temp. Perhaps being overly nervous, but I own this thing, and I don't want to break it early. So the remote start sure would be nice, at least in the mornings where I could start it a few minutes before I leave. But...I would still be nervous about it.

Question is, am I more nervous about the duty cycle on the car? Or the starter?

·
Registered
615 Posts
It's 15F in Aurora right now, as I write this, and whenever my SVT dies, I will be faced with the prospect of cold starting the ST on mornings like this and driving it about 1.5 miles to the train station, then shutting it off. No way will it be warm by that point, and I'm a little worried about that kind of duty cycle every morning and night with the siphon cooling stuff on the turbo and the very long time it takes for oil to come up to temp. Perhaps being overly nervous, but I own this thing, and I don't want to break it early. So the remote start sure would be nice, at least in the mornings where I could start it a few minutes before I leave. But...I would still be nervous about it.

Question is, am I more nervous about the duty cycle on the car? Or the starter?
You need a block heater not a remote starter to get the fluid up to temperature. Running the car at idle takes ages to warm the coolant let alone the oil. It took close to 50 minutes of crawling in snow on the way into work with all the traffic to warm the engine coolant up to 88-92c from negative 8 when starting the car. Idling it won't warm up quickly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Temps were -15f with a real feel of -45f tonight. Car took about 20 min of idle to get oil temp up to 110f.
The procedure I have to do in order to "activate" the starter isn't a big deal. The only down side is that I can't just leave the car running to go to get mail or whatever because once I shut the door the car shuts off and locks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Temps were -15f with a real feel of -45f tonight. Car took about 20 min of idle to get oil temp up to 110f.
The procedure I have to do in order to "activate" the starter isn't a big deal. The only down side is that I can't just leave the car running to go to get mail or whatever because once I shut the door the car shuts off and locks.
so, how does your warranty feel about the remote start addition?
or do the ford techs actually care?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You need a block heater not a remote starter to get the fluid up to temperature. Running the car at idle takes ages to warm the coolant let alone the oil.
My coolant comes up very quickly - although I think the jury is out as to whether the gauge is lying or not. I've heard some people comment on that. The oil is what takes ages to warm up. And yeah, the block heater would be good, but it's likely to be the kind of thing I'm not going to screw with every night and every morning - I had it in the SVT, used it a couple times, and then quit because it was just a hassle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts