Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, after a number of unfortunate events with my front bumper (Dropping my shift plate on it, scuffing the bottom pulling out of a friend's lawn (only parking there... Avoid even the tiniest ditches, lesson learned), rock chips) I've decided to repaint it this spring and protect it with a 3M clear bra. So, my question is... What am I looking at, price wise? Has anyone else accidentally used their bumper as a shovel?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Probably be about $700 to repaint it, I'd look into just ordering a new one haha and selling your old one to an SE or Titanium owner

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Pretty sure you'd still have to paint the new one... and I'm not sure if a Titanium owner wants one this scuffed up (ok, tbh it's not that noticeable... In fact, I'm pretty sure that most people wouldn't care about something so small. Maybe it would be a good idea to sell it...) If it's really $700, I'll probably end up taking the bumper off and prepping it myself. $400 seems much more reasonable to me.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I paid $900 to have a full repaint on my Corvette bumper by Autometric in Center Line. If you want them to completely strip the bumper, sand, apply new primer, and new paint + clear $900 is the price you will pay. Anything else skips something (you may get away with sanding to primer and only adding new paint + clear for $450).

·
Registered
903 Posts
It was $320 usd to paint and install my ST bumper cover on the SEL at Bill Brown collision in Livonia.
New parts come pre sanded/smoothed and primed, only paint + clear needs to be added. You'd never see a price that low on a repaint unless they didn't strip off the old top coat (only the clear)

·
Registered
903 Posts
As another anecdotal story. I had a GTO which was cosmetically rear ended scraping the paint on the bumper and rear quarter panel (in about a 4 inch area on the joint) as well as a smaller scuff on the lower bumper. The shop repainted the entire bumper after stripping the entire part, they also repainted and blended the rear quarter panel. The cost of the paint job to my insurance was $1400. The rest of the job (new rear tail lamp, materials and other labor) was only $500.

Paint is probably the most expensive thing on a car, if done right.

·
Registered
615 Posts
New parts come pre sanded/smoothed and primed, only paint + clear needs to be added. You'd never see a price that low on a repaint unless they didn't strip off the old top coat (only the clear)
That was the price they quoted me just to remove and repaint a bumper cover, I'm not 100% sure they cared that it was to be swapped with a new part specifically, let alone one that wasn't o.e. to the vehicle.

As always YMMV, but it was much less than previously indicated. Not that I expected it to be that little.

·
Registered
903 Posts
That was the price they quoted me just to remove and repaint a bumper cover, I'm not 100% sure they cared that it was to be swapped with a new part specifically, let alone one that wasn't o.e. to the vehicle.

As always YMMV, but it was much less than previously indicated. Not that I expected it to be that little.
Basically what I'm saying is they skipped something. No way you get a full job for that price, it doesn't happen (unless it's a Maaco type job). Just an FYI. If you are happy with the work, that's one thing, but I once got a cheap paint job and I was repainting the part 2 years later because it was chipping\flaking off. So I'd be weary of something like that.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Basically what I'm saying is they skipped something. No way you get a full job for that price, it doesn't happen (unless it's a Maaco type job). Just an FYI. If you are happy with the work, that's one thing, but I once got a cheap paint job and I was repainting the part 2 years later because it was chipping\flaking off. So I'd be weary of something like that.
Basically I don't really care about it now, but it looked good enough for the month or so that I kept the car before deciding to get the ST anyway.

It came out looking better than the hack job I expected, but that wasn't saying too much. I get it, a proper respray is usually a lot more expensive, when I'd had to have the first bumper cover replaced due to damage it took them a long time and the total bill with parts was closer to 1100 minus the deductible. Of course that shop had to re do their work a few times because they did it wrong and I wouldn't accept it, Bill Brown actually matched the color correctly on the first try and it looked decent. Unfortunately with the last shop doing a poor job the car also got hit again immediately afterwords by some debris that fell off a truck.

It seemed likely to chip a little bit, but nothing quite as bad as the stock paint.

Of course with brand new parts it was a lot easier to work with I'm sure.

To me it looked great, but I'm not sure how it would hold up long term. It did withstand the sandblasting from running around Waterford Hills though at least through one track day.

I really liked that Frosted Glass color personally.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Kind of know how you guys feel.. Today I was detailing my ST and was pretty disappointed by the number of small chips I saw on the front bumper, hood and bottom side trim. I see myself having to get the bumper repainted before the car even turns 3 years old :( I also see a clear bra in my future as well. I'm just not sure whether to blame Fords paint, the construction everywhere around here, or my habit to tailgate slow drivers.. or all the above.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts