Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that my extra keyfob was missing. After searching for a little bit, i came to the conclusion that it's somewhere i'll never find until/if I move out of my house.

Anyone know where i could buy a replacement keyfob without having to pay a bajillion dollars?

·
Registered
261 Posts
If it's anything like my Nissan's a replacement won't be too bad but you'll need to pay the dealer for an hour's labor to program it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to have the keyfob. Was on a key rack in the house. But I misplaced it, so it wont be in the pouch.

Any solid numbers in terms of $$?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You could always go through the house and start carrying out large items that swallow things like keys and put your couch, drier, etc. near the car and see if the doors will unlock. :)

Joking aside I didn't think Ford was too outrageous on some of their other chipped keys but it wouldn't surprise me if you got an out the door quote in the couple hundred dollar range. Besides the key fob they'd also need to cut the emergency key and labor rates for just an hour are a hundred bucks or more in many places. With the car being as new as it is I'm not sure if they'd have support yet, but it might be worthwhile to talk to some reputable automotive locksmiths. For many cars they can source replacements and do the programming cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I noticed today that my extra keyfob was missing. After searching for a little bit, i came to the conclusion that it's somewhere i'll never find until/if I move out of my house.

Anyone know where i could buy a replacement keyfob without having to pay a bajillion dollars?
Sorry to hear about your misplaced keyfod but just think, now you can be a true test driver for Motor Trend.:LOL:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I saw someone on another ST forum who unfortunately totaled his ST and is selling his FOB keys $100.(along with other things).not sure if for each or both. I Think you would need dealer to reprogram.
PM if you want more info.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Run the numbers at a dealer but the price seems a little high when you'd still have to try to find the emergency spare key piece and have that cut to your car and then the dealer programming required to mate them to your car. As others mentioned if you were quoted $130 for a new fob, cutting, and programming that doesn't sound too bad. You could always verify it against a quote from another dealer too and see if your dealer is in line with the going rates.

·
Registered
1 Posts

When I bought my car used it only came with 1 key. Dealers were quoting me $140-$180 for a second key cut and programmed. I bought one on ebay for $28 and found a local Locksmith in Davie that cut and programmed for $80. So the new key came out to about $115 after tax.

·
Registered
1 Posts
$130 isn't bad actually.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah , It's not the bad price at all to get a new key fob. I also have bought a key from a locksmith near me and it cost me around $140 for that. It's works the same as the original one, i prefer to use the duplicate one and original one has been reserved for emergency.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts