Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just asked Randy at FsWorks for his awesome V8 tune with shift-assist off (because it just gets in the way). It got me thinking though, would it be possible to have complete shift-assist - i.e. The car knows what speed you are at and what gear you just changed into. I can image it rev-matching for you so you just lift the clutch and ultra smooth, fast downshift (or up shift) - no heal-toe, no blipping.

I don't know if the computer is even able to do this but just an interesting thought - probably ruin all the fun driving a manual though.....

R

·
Registered
359 Posts
Heal and toe is the reason I drive sticks;). Just had to get that out there, but the issue that stands is that the computer I belive only knows the gear the vehicle is by speed vs rpm. There is no sensor for gear selection so it would have to gues if you are trying to downshift or upshift. The vehicle will already hold rpms when upshifting and that already can be a pain when trying to skip gears.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I've actually been looking into some curved-heel driving shoes... Maybe in a few months.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heal and toe is the reason I drive sticks;). Just had to get that out there, but the issue that stands is that the computer I belive only knows the gear the vehicle is by speed vs rpm. There is no sensor for gear selection so it would have to gues if you are trying to downshift or upshift. The vehicle will already hold rpms when upshifting and that already can be a pain when trying to skip gears.
Yep I'm slowly getting the hang of heal and toe - Still over-revving in some gears and not enough in others (3-2nd seems to need more blip than 4-3). I bought a pedal cover from Amazon that made it easier to do under moderate breaking. Still smacking my head against the steering wheel every now and then :)

I *think* there might be a sensor for the gear - I vaguely remember the cobb AP being able to see what gear it's in but I'm not sure if that worked with the ignition off or as you mention it's just the RPM vs speed.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yep I'm slowly getting the hang of heal and toe - Still over-revving in some gears and not enough in others (3-2nd seems to need more blip than 4-3). I bought a pedal cover from Amazon that made it easier to do under moderate breaking. Still smacking my head against the steering wheel every now and then :)

I *think* there might be a sensor for the gear - I vaguely remember the cobb AP being able to see what gear it's in but I'm not sure if that worked with the ignition off or as you mention it's just the RPM vs speed.
Don't get discouraged the pedal set up in these cars makes it dificult to heel and toe. The gas pedal is too low and the brakes can be very touchy. Then there is the problem of the revs not being predictable in the way they fall off.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've just asked Randy at FsWorks for his awesome V8 tune with shift-assist off (because it just gets in the way). It got me thinking though, would it be possible to have complete shift-assist - i.e. The car knows what speed you are at and what gear you just changed into. I can image it rev-matching for you so you just lift the clutch and ultra smooth, fast downshift (or up shift) - no heal-toe, no blipping.

I don't know if the computer is even able to do this but just an interesting thought - probably ruin all the fun driving a manual though.....

R
The 370Z did this in 2009. You have to have sensors at the shift gates to pull it off, AFAIK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts