Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone happen to know if the ST has a standard or a "lift reverse"? I assume a "lift reverse" is where you have to pull up on the stick shift or a latch below it in order to kick over to the gear for reverse. I've seen this before but never driven a car with it so I'm not sure how to tell.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Old Saab driver here. Very familiar with the lift for reverse maneuver

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Actually have never driven a car where you had to do anything fancy like lift or push to get it into reverse. My current car you just put it in like any other gear, never had an issue about accidentally going into reverse...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had a few manual transmissions shifters that had a "lock out" ring under the shift knob. Just lift it a bit and it opens the gate to reverse. I like it, especially when reverse is up and left. I will admit that this design works best when the shifer is designed like a ball on a stick, rather than the contoured shifters that a lot of cars are using now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had a few manual transmissions shifters that had a "lock out" ring under the shift knob. Just lift it a bit and it opens the gate to reverse. I like it, especially when reverse is up and left. I will admit that this design works best when the shifer is designed like a ball on a stick, rather than the contoured shifters that a lot of cars are using now.
I think this is what I mean when I say "lift reverse" (I apologize for my terminology). I saw a video of some newer car that in order to get into reverse there was some latch below the knob that was lifted to allow to get into reverse.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think this is what I mean when I say "lift reverse" (I apologize for my terminology). I saw a video of some newer car that in order to get into reverse there was some latch below the knob that was lifted to allow to get into reverse.
Several imports have this, I know Hyundai likes this and has been using it for several years now.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've driven lift ring/push/and nothing. The regular (push into gate with more force) is fine if reverse is to the right of the gate. I prefer a lock out ring or push down type if reverse is up and to the left next to first. Without it, its too easy to find reverse accidentally when you're wanting first :eek:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've driven lift ring/push/and nothing. The regular (push into gate with more force) is fine if reverse is to the right of the gate. I prefer a lock out ring or push down type if reverse is up and to the left next to first. Without it, its too easy to find reverse accidentally when you're wanting first :eek:
exactly. one of the interior photos is what lead me to ask this question. In the following photo you can see reverse is up and to the left, where first is up and left as well.

member-chad-albums-2013-ford-focus-st-picture536-2013-ford-focus-st-interior-photo-428089-s-1280.jpg

However you can see the standard gears are displayed in red and the reverse is black on the shift knob. I couldn't tell if the chrome gap between the knob and the leather 'shift bag cover' (for lack of a better term).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Judging by the gap between the knob and shift boot, it looks like you'll have to push down to put it in reverse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts