Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning on installing a roof rack on their ST? I'm disappointed that Ford didn't offer a factory roof rack optionl

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of rack are you going to put on? I've thought about getting one but I don't want to drill holes in the roof :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen those, I was concerned what they might do to the paint and how well they would hold up. I'm thinking I'd like to be able to carry a couple Kayaks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've had a Yakima setup for years now for my other cars. I'll just have to get some new Q-clips and I'm in business. It would only damage the paint if you trapped dirt under the pad. Once the rails are locked in, they are very tight and don't move.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds promising :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd also like to install a roof rack for snowboards. Any suggestions on Thule vs Yakima? I'd like something that can be easily removed for track days :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
I wouldn't mind one.

But if I could jam my Mountain Bike in the back of my 03 Mustang, I'm hoping I can toss it in the rear hatch without any dis assembly at all. :!!:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I primarily want one for kayak's I figure for bikes a cheap hatch rack would be easier to deal with. Kayaks are big enough to probably not fit in the back with the seats down.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd also like to install a roof rack for snowboards. Any suggestions on Thule vs Yakima? I'd like something that can be easily removed for track days :D
I own a Yakima rack today and one thing I dislike about it is the round cross-bars, which allow my wheel-holder (for a single front wheel) to rotate around the bar. It's not a terrible thing, but holder ends up rotating until the bicycle tire makes contact with the roof of the car. Because of this, I end up just putting the bike on the rack and stuff the front wheels in the trunk. Knowing this now, I might look more closely at Thule, given their rectangular cross-bars.

·
Registered
277 Posts
IF I do anything, I'll do the yakima pads that you drill from underneath. Mostly because I like the clean look when its off and you put the caps on. Hitch is always best but wont be an option because of the exhaust and wouldn't have been an option for kayakers anyway.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The configuration of the exhaust (centered at bumper) rules out a hitch-mount w/o extensive exhaust mods.
I have seen off-center tow hooks that are designed primarily for track day cars so they can be quickly towed out of the way in case they break down. I'd imagine these off-center mounts could be modified for a bike rack, but the strap on mounts that go around your hatch door would probably be a lot cheaper and easier.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm considering an exhaust mod for a trailer hitch. But I'll have to contemplate that. I'll probably get a roof rack when I get the car while I think about it. Sad to see the trailer hitch bike carrier we have for my wife's PT Cruiser go to waste on the ST.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts