Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm going to hold out to see if we ST3 orderers get a keychain as part of our "Thanks for being patient!/Sorry we :xxx:ed up!" swag bags. :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have to ask. Is that picture of the place where the sunglasses holder should be (I'm assuming that plastic piece is a mic) look like that because of the awkward angle of the picture, or is it really a huge bulge? And if so does it taper off near the windshield or just drop off? And thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I have to ask. Is that picture of the place where the sunglasses holder should be (I'm assuming that plastic piece is a mic) look like that because of the awkward angle of the picture, or is it really a huge bulge? And if so does it taper off near the windshield or just drop off? And thanks for the pictures.
It is a bulge, and drops off at the window. I'll see if I can get another angle on it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Some good pictures of the full console here: 2013 Focus ST - Imgur

I would assume that the holes for the screws are predrilled and underneath the headliner padding. So I wonder if you could get the part from the ST3 (that doesn't have the moonroof switch, and swap out the the consoles without doing too much damage to the headliner). You'd need to make sure the microphone is wired up again. Likely way too much effort for a simple holder!

Reactions: DarkBuddha

·
Registered
742 Posts
It's for the sunglasses bin......
But that's kinda my point in asking my question... if they're going to keep the bulge in the headliner, there's no really good reason to not install the non-moonroof overhead console too. Just seems... well, asinine. It's probably a cost cutting measure, but I suspect the extra $8-$10 it would add the MSRP wouldn't bother most buyers.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a few extra Ford Sunglass visor clips in blue for those who r really upset about this.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a few extra Ford Sunglass visor clips in blue for those who r really upset about this.
Don't think anyone is super upset. I just don't like the look of that bump, but I realize that I'm not going to be in love with every single minute aspect of this car.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Some good pictures of the full console here: 2013 Focus ST - Imgur

I would assume that the holes for the screws are predrilled and underneath the headliner padding. So I wonder if you could get the part from the ST3 (that doesn't have the moonroof switch, and swap out the the consoles without doing too much damage to the headliner). You'd need to make sure the microphone is wired up again. Likely way too much effort for a simple holder!
Some nice captures there of the bin and the moonroof controls. What I'd REALLY like to see pictures of though, are the sunglasses bin on the SE model, when the moonroof isn't optioned. I thought someone here said it does have one. That's probably the version that we'd swap over to the ST.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I guess what bothers me is that the SE has it and the ST2 does not. Just cost cutting but still.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
894 Posts
Your car looks "bloody fantastic" as the Brits would say. I wavered for a long time between Race Red and Oxford White, finally settling on the latter. But now, as I wait for my ST3, I'm staring at the phone on my desk, thinking about calling the dealership....must...be...strong.....

BTW - what were you driving before and how does this car compare? I'm going to have to learn to be much lighter with my right foot!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Your car looks "bloody fantastic" as the Brits would say. I wavered for a long time between Race Red and Oxford White, finally settling on the latter. But now, as I wait for my ST3, I'm staring at the phone on my desk, thinking about calling the dealership....must...be...strong.....

BTW - what were you driving before and how does this car compare? I'm going to have to learn to be much lighter with my right foot!
I was driving a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Turbo.

I haven't really pushed the ST yet, I'm feeling it out slowly and letting the break-in process run its course, but my initial impressions are pretty startling. Just in ride quality and in build quality, the ST feels like it should be twice the sticker price that my Cobalt was.

The Cobalt was tuned and had a few go-fast goodies, it was pretty f'n fast.. I went in to this expecting that the ST was going to be a downgrade as far as acceleration. We'll see how she runs up top after I put some more miles on it. But the steering is VERY much improved, and I just can't stress enough how much FUN the ST is to drive. It really gives me a sense of connection to the machine that I've never had with other vehicles, and I've had quite a few. I get sad every time I have to park it and get out.

Ford has done an incredible job with this thing. It drives like a dream and feels very very refined. Road noise is low, the MFT and the Sony sound system are great, the clutch is perfect, the shifter is probably the nicest I've felt in a stock car ever. A short shift kit is usually the first mod I think of on a new car, and I can honestly say I am not even bothered in this case. And above all, the seats... Oh my god the seats. :thumb:

I can't wait to get more comfortable with it and log some track time behind the wheel.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The SS is a pretty serious car, so that's a great benchmark. Thanks for the review and thoughts. Any mods planned for the ST? I'm hard pressed to think of what else I would want as far as performance, other than perhaps a new intake and exhaust, but even then, I'm not so sure. It will be cool to see what firms like Cobb can do. This will be my daily driver, so I can't go crazy yet...maybe in several years.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
The SS is a pretty serious car, so that's a great benchmark. Thanks for the review and thoughts. Any mods planned for the ST? I'm hard pressed to think of what else I would want as far as performance, other than perhaps a new intake and exhaust, but even then, I'm not so sure. It will be cool to see what firms like Cobb can do. This will be my daily driver, so I can't go crazy yet...maybe in several years.
I've been known in the past to do mods that ruin the "driveability" of an automobile. Silly stiff suspension, removing emissions equipment, weight saving mods, etc.. This time around I expect I will keep the car mostly stock. Intake, downpipe, ECU retune are a possibility, when those become available. New rims.. I love the bronze on red look.

I will also be keeping an eye on Cobb and others. This is a wonderful platform to start out with.. Knowing we're going uphill from here as far as performance is a GREAT feeling.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've been known in the past to do mods that ruin the "driveability" of an automobile. Silly stiff suspension, removing emissions equipment, weight saving mods, etc.. This time around I expect I will keep the car mostly stock. Intake, downpipe, ECU retune are a possibility, when those become available. New rims.. I love the bronze on red look.

I will also be keeping an eye on Cobb and others. This is a wonderful platform to start out with.. Knowing we're going uphill from here as far as performance is a GREAT feeling.
Im with you Rownan, all of my cars have been modded, and I've had nothing but problems after the fact. I think the only things i might do with my ST is visual stuff, least make it look a little different. Unless Ford starts offering mod upgrades at super low prices (ya right) I think I'm going stock.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I've has too many friends with mod induced unreliability. As a result with the VW I stuck to VW factory upgrade options. I'll probably do the same with the ST. Or from a tuner with a solid rep.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 99 Posts