1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Honestly, I have assumed this would be their direction ever since the Fiesta took over Rally duty for Ford.
RS does, after all, stand for Rallye Sport. That is why it is the Fiesta RS WRC that is running in the WRC.
The vehicle that is running in Rally should get the RS designation, IMHO.

Besides, the Focus has grown to be a bigger platform better suited to road racing. Hence the ST-R project.
Now the smaller more nimble Fiesta can take over the world of Rally and the RS namesake.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Both of those were interesting articles. I can see the logic behind making the next RS a Fiesta since it is now Ford's rally car. Although the Fiesta RS would no doubt be an awesome car, it is just too small for me. The Focus is already going to feel small coming from a '95 SHO and a '96 F250.

I did like how they suggested the other possibility of Ford sticking with the Focus for the next RS and the fact that the SVT engineers stated they have a suitable 4wd drivetrain they could put together for a test mule if Ford decides to go that direction. I could see selling off my ST for an RS down the road if this happens and it actually makes it to the US.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I can see Ford doing this but, rally isn't followed here like it is in Europe (sadly). Still, there is room for performance variants of everything in the Ford stable. Weather or not Ford will offer "RS" model of both the Focus, and the Fiesta is unknown but as I'm sure many of you are aware, there is a huge RS Focus following in Europe. We never got that model but hopefully, we will see one here in two years.

For me, the Fiesta is just too small. Hell the Focus is small enough as it is! I felt like I was swimming in a Fusion. For me, the Focus is just right.

·
4,009 Posts
Ford has said time and time again, no AWD in the Focus weather it be a ST or an RS

·
Registered
440 Posts
Fiesta RS makes more sense. The focus is no longer a econobox vehicle. Apparently Capito was taken my VW because they saw eye to eye on what a hot hatch should be.. Golf R AWD. Nuff said.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fiesta RS makes more sense. The focus is no longer a econobox vehicle. Apparently Capito was taken my VW because they saw eye to eye on what a hot hatch should be.. Golf R AWD. Nuff said.
Yeah, but VW had the Golf R long before Capito got there. He was brought in to develop/finalize (and possibly manage) VW's WRC Polo effort; which becomes a full-time competitor in WRC next year. I only hope that Ford does commit to an RS version of the Focus; it's really hard to understand what that model did for Ford in Europe. It quickly became a coveted car; with European car magazines making comparisons with M3 BMW's and Porsche Boxsters. An RS Focus could be their "halo" car in the performance, compact car arena. I don't see the Fiesta filling that role. And right now the only real performance cars Ford has in North America are the various Mustang derivatives.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Besides, the Focus has grown to be a bigger platform better suited to road racing. Hence the ST-R project.
2009-2010 Ford Focus RS dimensions:
length=4402 mm, width=2020 mm, height=1484 mm, mass=1467 kg

2011-current Ford Focus Titanium (2.0) dimensions:
length=4358 mm, width=2010 mm, height=1461 mm, mass=1421 kg

The new ST looks bigger because it's 5door instead of 3door, but it's actually a (slightly) smaller vehicle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The main reason the Fiesta is now the rally car of choice for Ford is because of WRC regulation changes in 2011 limiting engine size to 1.6L. The Focus with a 1.6 would be woefully underpowered for its size. The Fiesta is definitely the logical choice.

Also, the Fiesta would make sense as the RS rather than the Focus. The crowd that wanted a performance vehicle, but needed the extra utility of the 5 doors raved at the arrival of the Focus ST, but it put off a lot of diehard ST fans that it wasn't offered as a 3-door. Now Ford offers a smaller, lighter pocket rocket for those that truly want a hot hatch and don't need or care about utility. I think it's a completely logical and reasonable decision.

·
4,009 Posts
There was a rumor out there that the Focus RS would offer AWD via Eletric motors in the rear, a hybrid system. I'm not interested in that set up at all if that is what comes along.

·
4,009 Posts
Hear the one about the Shelby Focus?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I have to concur that the Fiesta will remain as it is viewed. An econobox for lower tier buyers. Gussied up it will still be seen as a hypermini. The Focus is about as small as most folks want to IF they can afford that size instead of HAVING to go smaller. The Fiesta faces the stigma of being a " I bought it because I couldnt afford bigger", the " Its my kids first car", or "I am SUCH a cheap bastidge" car that I see it being a one shot and not all that popular.

·
4,009 Posts
We were all there once. I know I would have bought one / wanted one when I was younger. There are a lot of folks the Fiesta appeals to. As you noted, My 17 year old daughter loves it. I'd buy it for her if I could afford a third car payment.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hard to say what will happen. There are some buyers I'm sure that would like a quicker somewhat less expensive small performance car, although for me the Fiesta is a bit too small. There seems to be an emerging performance small car US market: The Mini & the recently released Fiat 500 Abarth come to mind, although an RS Fiesta would probably define its own segment on a totally different level.

Heck, I'd still be tempted to buy one though if there was one to try out right now.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If they release a Fiesta RS that is turbo'd and AWD I would have to really contemplate adding a second car payment on top of the Focus ST.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Same here. The ST will be my wife's ride, and with me currently driving a MINI, the Fiesta RS wouldn't be much difference in size. If the RS makes it here (in Fiesta OR Focus form), we'll likely be a two-Ford household.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts