1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
The next-generation Ford Focus RS will get a new 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine when it arrives in 2014

Ford is set to up the ante on its next-generation Focus RS. Power is likely to come from a newly developed 2.3-litre four-cylinder EcoBoost engine – which could also power the 2015 Mustang – producing as much as 350bhp sent though a manual gearbox. That’s over 100bhp more than the new Focus ST and will drop the 0-60mph time below the magic five-second mark.

Ford’s European performance division, Team RS, has ruled out developing the 247bhp 2.0-litre EcoBoost from the new ST, as an increase in power would mean making the turbo bigger – and there’s a reluctance to do this.

“If it’s too big and capable of too much power, you lose bottom- end torque and response,” said Team RS powertrain engineering manager Len Urwin.

The RS will send power to the front wheels, as on the previous model. That made 300bhp from its five-cylinder turbo engine, but this time the RS could use a clever active limited slip differential – a so-called E-diff.

Said Unwin: “You could drop a mechanical diff in as we did with the old Focus RS, but an E-diff would take that a step forward in that you can really optimise traction in all situations.”

A manual is a certainty, but Ford is debating whether to also offer a dual-clutch auto version using its PowerShift technology. “There is a trend to go to dual clutch, but they are heavier,” said Chris Caven, calibration controls engineer at Team RS. “Whether we should have a manual and a PowerShift is still up for debate.”

With the price set to be around the same £25,000 mark as the last model, the stage is set for the new RS to humble performance cars costing twice its price when it arrives in early 2014.

from: autoexpress.co.uk/ford/focus/60994/focus-rs-get-350bhp

really like that green !

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I have a thing for front wheel drive and would sign up for what would undoubtedly be the best handeling best performing production FWD car ever.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now you got me more excited...its bound to be the best RS ever.. :D

·
4,009 Posts

·
4,009 Posts
Yeah I saw it was the same but it's making the rounds.

·
4,009 Posts
Hope it's more like 2015. Would like to be in a position to trade up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm trying not to get my hopes up like I did last time when the RS was promised for America. I have yet to see any mention of it coming here from Ford, so I won't hold my breath until they actually announce a release date for the U.S.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'll bet that one of the things that Ford North America is waiting on before they commit to building a US (North American) RS version is how well the ST sells in this territory. The RS is obviously a very limited production model; and the expense associated with building one and getting it certified in the United States has to be considerable. However, if Ford can move their targeted number of ST's, perhaps there is a chance we'll get the RS. :!:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'll bet that one of the things that Ford North America is waiting on before they commit to building a US (North American) RS version is how well the ST sells in this territory. The RS is obviously a very limited production model; and the expense associated with building one and getting it certified in the United States has to be considerable. However, if Ford can move their targeted number of ST's, perhaps there is a chance we'll get the RS. :!:
I completely agree. I hope the RS does come out, because I wouldn't mind owning one maybe 6 or 7 years down the line. I just hope people see the RS for what it is (and STI and Evo competitor) and not skip the ST, thus killing sales, because of the RS.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow... that's $40k US! That's fully loaded Mustang GT territory.
Not quite, car values don't directly convert like that due to different tax and import structures. It'll likely be around $27k-28k USD. For comparison, a base ST1 in the UK goes for £22k vs. $24k here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the RS to be the beast that it has the potential to be, Ford should really give some good, long and hard thought to matting it to a 4 wheel drive system. I know it adds weight, cost and will change the driving dynamics but 350hp to the front wheels is just a recipe for wheel spin. I know ford did a great job with trying to eliminate torque steer from the ST, and for the most part they did a good job. I just bought one and love it, but there is still torque steer despite their attempts at electro wizardry to quell the same. With the immense effort Ford displayed in tuning the ST, I’m sure that with a 4 wheel drive set up and equal amount of loving time spent on the tuning the RS, it would be a giant killer! I think it would easily take the STI, EVO, and others without a problem, and become an instant icon. And oh ya, note to Ford: You better bring it to North America this time!

·
Registered
685 Posts
$27k for an RS is unlikely. There are so many things that have to be added/refined for more power and a more durable suspension, that a $3K increase over the base ST is hardly enough to cover it. A real electronic LSD (not just brake based), RevoKnuckle type front suspension, stiffer chassis, stronger engine parts, more robust cooling, probably magnetorheological dampers...it all adds up.

If they go with AWD, which is unlikely, they have to go to a good one like that found on the STI, not the regular WRX (which is junk in comparison).

It's not just the components that add the cost. They have to do the R&D to make it work right, and it's going to be a serious niche car, so they won't be able to amortize that over a large number of vehicles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.