Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This coming weekend, I need to help a family member with some work at his camp in the mountains. The weather forecast is for temperatures well below zero. The car will be sitting overnight in these temps. Besides a good set of jumper cables, are there any other precautions, etc. I should take?

At the moment, I have good quality conventional oil in the car (5w-30). Would synthetic be better for the cold start situation?

(There's no electric power for a block heater where the car will be parked!)

Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sucks to be you. This is why I consider winter the season of survival until the re-birth of spring when all becomes right again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ask your family member what you should do, if he has a camp up there he should be prepared for the cold and be able to tell you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here in Burlington it is suppose to be -8 tomorrow night and -5 Wednesday night, which isn't unusual this time of year. All I do is make sure the gas tank is close to full (3/4 or better), the washer fluid is filled with a fluid that is good to -20, and I don't let the car sit for more than a day without driving it. The jumper cables are definitely a good idea as well.

Unless we are talking serious cold (-20 or worse) I don't think you need to worry about changing oils or anything.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Grew up in NH where we had some pretty extreme temperatures. I never did anything uniquely different in the winter. As you said, jumper cables + blanket + shovel (I had had a telescoping one so it would not take up too much room) + ice scraper are very good things to bring along.

And on the oil, it is my understanding that synthetic is much better. There are some videos floating around showing how much faster synthetic will flow compared to conventional. I only use synthetic anyways as turbos are hard on oil.

I realize this is oil for diesel engines, but you get the idea. Left two oils are conventional vs. synthetic.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Changed my oil to synthetic this afternoon. It was about time anyway. I'll definitely fill up the tank before I park the car. I'll be with a bunch of other guys, so no worries about getting stranded.

The things we do for family.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Kind of late, but I would fill with Mobil 1 0W30. And be sure your washer fluid is good to -25 or so.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the oil is already in. I went with 5w-30 Penzoil Ultra. The temperatures will be around -15 or so. That's cold, but not super extreme.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Temps get that low here in NE and my cars do fine with no special prep. Def good idea to have the gas fairly full though.

It will crank kinda slow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
265 Posts
Windchill have been well below zero here in Iowa and my cars been fine. Let it warm up a little bit and it was fine a little slow cranking but fires up instantly. I always keep a pair of jumper cables just in case. Extra coats/sweatshirts and a blanket. Ice scraper/brush. Full tank of gas. Some snacks wouldn't be a bad idea either in case you do get stranded.. Otherwise just make sure you have a good set of tires and you will be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been driving my focus for a week now and we have had -25F here and the car runs fine. I have had to start it without being able to plug the block heater in and it worked fine. Just make sure to warm it up for a good 5-10 mins until moving it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep - the car went through temperatures hovering around -20 over the weekend, and the next morning, it started up fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As of late I assisted one of my consistent trip companion with jumping begin her auto in the midnight. Fortunately she wasn't the only one at the time. Like the greater part of the commonplace individuals, she don't keep jumper cables https://xlraceparts.com/5-best-jumper-cables-cars in her auto. I do keeps the jumper links in my auto hood constantly, regardless of where I go.

Back to the story, she called me at around 12am in the midnight, and she disclosed to me that her auto remote control alert isn't working, along these lines unfit to open and get into the auto.

Sorry to learn the story again, this is the another motivation behind why we ought to never turn OFF our cellphone when we are dozing, in light of the fact that there may be a crisis call from your adoration one or companions who require you at that unforeseen time!

Upon I achieved where she stopped her auto, I investigated her auto remote control and I discovered it was the auto battery depleted rather than the remote control framework separated.

The auto was battery depleted, which caused the recipient in the auto alert framework unfit to get any flag from the auto remote control.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts