Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the VW world, the Bentley's Manual is the standard reference for do-it-yourself service. Is there an equivalent standard reference for the Focus? And will it be available for this engine?

Ross-Tech also makes this great software/CAN-BUS interface for computer diagnostics in newer VWs. Is there an equivalent for Ford? (I'm not talking about the simple Pep-boys type scanners, but an interface that really lets you reprogram stuff and map out engine performance, etc.)

Thanks! (As you can tell, I'm a complete Ford newbie.)

·
Registered
753 Posts
I usually try to get the Ford Shop Manual. I have one for my Mustang and it's the best manual I've ever seen. I won't waste my time with those Chilton or Haynes manuals. Only problem is that it can be hard to get your hands on one of the Ford Shop Manuals.

As for software, you can usually by an ODB II reader and software http://www.amazon.com/ElmScan-Compact-OBD-II-Diagnostic-Software/dp/B002PYBZJO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1343095544&sr=8-9&keywords=odb+ii+scanner to pull diagnostic information and that's fairly cheap. However reprogramming the computer is a different story. The companies that make tuners will have an update for the ST eventually but it will probably take awhile.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. By "reprogramming" - I'm not talking about remapping the ECU; more about changing various options like turning off the beep for the alarm, or turning off the DRLs, or adjusting the number of flashes when you tap the turn signal. Perhaps that kind of customization is now all controlled by the MyTouch system?

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Not by MFT Hamiltonian. There are some minor tweaks that can be made like how long the lights stay on after you turn the car off. But it might not even be an option on the ST.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Typically some stuff like that has secret commands you can enter. For example, you can disable the seat belt warning noise by following a set of instructions out of the manual. However I don't know if what your looking for will be possible. The vehicle manual usually lists the little tweaks you can do with instructions.

·
4,009 Posts
Seen shop manuals come up on EBay from time to time.

On the go - Via TapTalk

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, thanks. It sounds like there are OBD tools that are equivalent to Ross-Tech's (awkwardly named) VAG-COM, but without the ability to change, e.g., coding, etc. I'll miss that about VWs. (I've heard rumors that VW will be shutting down access to this stuff with the MKVII for liability reasons.)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had the service manuals in the past for my GM and then Audi. I'm no expert on Ford but it appears that the service manuals are available here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com

There appears to be 'programmable parameters' available on Fords in general. What parameters are available for the ST will be interesting.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Very cool, first time I've seen the owner's manual supplement for the ST.

Saw a few things of note:
Turbo: Single scroll / 21 psi max boost

252 HP with 93 Octane
243 HP with 87 Octane
----
So what if you live in a place that only sells 91 octane? Will you never see 252 HP?

ST Wheel Specifications
Diameter and width 18 inches x 8.0 inches
Offset 55 mm
Backspacing 6.673 inches
Center bore 63.3 mm
Weight 25 lbs (11 kg)

·
4,009 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
4,009 Posts
Access was good while it lasted

·
Registered
753 Posts
Can't Elnorte get us back in? ;)

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
All you need to do is go to motorcraftservice.com, click on "Owner Guides", Select 2013 and Focus from the drop down list menu's and then select the ST Supplement PDF.

For whatever reason, direct links do not work.

·
Registered
284 Posts
All you need to do is go to motorcraftservice.com, click on "Owner Guides", Select 2013 and Focus from the drop down list menu's and then select the ST Supplement PDF.

For whatever reason, direct links do not work.
Sorry about the direct link tease. Thanks dem778 for the detailed instructions. The 2013 Focus Owners manual is also there.

·
Registered
753 Posts
So I just spent the last hour going over the manual lol thanks for the tip, I didn't realize they had posted the 2013 manuals yet. Also, 5.7 quarts of oil is less than I thought it would need.

·
4,009 Posts
Baron, did you note the summer use only info on the tires? Says specifically, not to be used in snow.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts