Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Probably not too much. He wasn't too involved in day-to-day type stuff the last few years and as long as the cars turned out to be a decent package of small performance upgrades and unique appearance I don't think he minded his name being on cars like this, even if many would consider it overpriced or the upgrades not substantial enough. He was pretty shrewd about business stuff and wasn't afraid to capitalize on his name although he really did like when cars turned out special and above expectations. (By the way to get an idea where I'm coming from, I have a few friends who knew him personally and have been around the various businesses and partnerships with Chrysler, GM, and Ford over the years.)

·
Registered
753 Posts
And I believe and know from people familiar with their resources that they don't have any internal resources to develop real upgrades for the EcoBoost. Even for their current Mustangs offerings most of their "upgrades" are Ford Racing parts or aftermarket pieces they've strung together along with some appearance stuff. The end results can be a pretty nice car but nothing super special from a performance standpoint. I'd be surprised if they didn't farm out any calibration work Ford the ST's EcoBoost let alone develop or pay to have developed any internals or major bolt-on components for themselves. You can look back historically for the last few decades and this has been their modus operandi.
Agree with this...

·
Registered
354 Posts
With a quickie conversion of Ford Racing parts, some stickers and appearance stuff, for me personally I'd place no more value on the overall package than a similarly modified Focus by Saleen, Hennessey, etc. For some the name might afford a sense of added value but I can't see too many used Shelby Focus STs commanding anywhere near what the original purchaser will pay.
None of the tuners are any more than parts bin swappers. They do spend time and effort making sure they work together but the same parts can be installed by anyone.

Shelby is no different. With the exception of the Cobra's every Shelby Mustang ever produced was nothing more than parts from the Ford parts bin, some aftermarket parts and appearance changes. I don't see the Shelby Focus as anything different. It is very much in keeping with the Shelby Dodge cars which were almost exclusively built from the Dodge parts bin with a huge markup compared to the base car.

I was watching Motorweek last night and they did a feature on the 25th anniversary Calloway Corvette. $56k for the basic Corvette Grand Sport, $52k for the conversion for a bunch of aftermarket parts and appearance items.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Carroll Shelby is rolling over in his grave as we speak.
I respect Caroll Shelby as much as anyone. But I think you may be taking some liberties with that statement.
Here is Caroll himself. Listen in at 7:40 into the vid. Thanks.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rqQ6LGpiGY4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like the different exterior arrangements (especially the Le Mans stripes), but I'm not a big fan of the interior. I like the stock upholstery much better personally. I think half the fun of doing your own mods is the a la carte approach that you take to end up with something really unique and personal to you. Not that there's anything wrong with buying a pre-packaged setup like Shelby or Roush; I just think it lacks the soul and connection that comes from the owner.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.