Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Shomare : Ingot Silver : ST2 : The Unicorn

19K views 73 replies 29 participants last post by  Shomare 
#1 ·
Drum Roll Please! :place Holder:

#5 ·
Sho - I'd be interested to hear about your pre-purchase inspection, and what you looked for, etc.

#6 ·
The unicorn? Seriously! LOL

Congrats man.

#8 ·
Problems. Lots of them...,

#10 ·
Congrats Shomare! Hope the car is in "decent" shape. I'll be inspecting mine with a fine tooth comb. Seems about time for you to get rid of that banner, you have just been voted off the island.

#11 ·
Wait till I tell ya. Still at dealership now.

Reactions: Durp
#12 ·
Looks like someone went after the air intake with a hammer.

#14 ·
Wow! Keep me posted and get some pics if you can so I know what to lookout for. Sorry it had to go this way Shomare. Had such high hopes 3-4 months ago. Was hoping to have been to Turning Stone twice already in my new ST. Good luck man.

#13 ·
My imagination is running wild. All the pipes fell off when you started it. The hoodgap contained a family of small, angry rodents who had taken residence while the car sat in Michigan. They retouched the paint around the headlamps in a different color.....

#18 ·
So much to say. For now, I taking my kids out for dinner to celebrate the new car. Most of what I have to say is positive.

The negatives are about the condition of the car. Nothing major just some little things.

No cup holders, chipping around the taillights and the inexplicable damage to the chrome work on the intake! It's just nuts. How it ever got out to the factory looking like that I don't know.

Full wright up to follow.

#19 ·
Dent in the right rear door?! I didn't have any chipping around the taillights and the driver side light is close to the body. But it appears it was trimmed before installation. Engine bay looks fine. I just have this damn dent/wrinkle.

Glad you got your car Bill! Enjoy your dinner and try not to sweat the small things. ;)

#23 ·
Only had 10 miles on it.

#21 ·
Glad you got the car. The chrome work on the intake is very soft aluminum and can be dented with a finger. Not sure that's a big deal. The paint chipping is an issue and was brought up earlier. The cup holder missing the rubber insert is a PITA but not a huge worry. Looking forward to the review. Your patience finally paid off. :thumb:

#24 ·

No way hard shifts caused this.

#25 ·
No they didn't. Its probably the way they were stored or handled at the factory. Someone who works at the plant says that they look like that before they're installed.

There's the reason they're gone on the ST3's....way to soft.

#27 ·
So they've taken off that chrome trim and just left a bare plastic tube on the ST3s? Frankly, I guess I'd prefer that (even if it looks "plainer") after having seen pics of several (ST2) cars now with a similar dented intake.

Don't know how Ford allowed a piece like that to be put on a new car, let alone leave the factory.

#28 · (Edited)
The good the bad and the ugly...

So, the day was crazy at work. Mixed with calls from the dealership about interest rates and purchase price. I had it in wrighting so I'll spare you the details, in the end I got the price quoted as it should be.

We took the car for a test drive. Didn't stall it once. Had the salesman and my father in law in the car and even with three grown men in the car she was quick. I noticed ever so slight turbo lag. Once the turbo comes up it whoosh! Reminds me of my Saab 900 only lots quicker. Right out of the lot I got the engine bang / hitting the fire wall on the one two shift. It happened one and not again. It was more a matter of learning to shift the car. As quick as it is I suspect that it will be quicker after I get the cheap gas out that it was undoubtedly filled with and get some miles on her.

For what ever reason, I find third gear to be the most fun. Seems to be the sweet spot for this car. You have to be careful as 80 mph comes up real fast and the car really likes to hang there.

This is without a doubt the best handeling car I've ever driven. On ramps and off ramps that I've known or thought I knew are opportunities to find out what this car is about. I found my limit befor I found the cars. It's ridiculous how well it grips, no lean, I can't put it into words you have to do it yourself. Oddly enough, this car rides smoother than the Titanium.

The seats are comfortable and firm. I'm a big guy and I'd call them cozy. The support they offer around corneres is by necessity. I was worried about the blue inserts, thought they might be a bit boy racer but I'm glad I got them. Really nice contrast with the silver.

Couple things I noticed. The OEM matts have a Velcro like bottom. These are different than last years mats. Mut be they were made to prevent sliding. Put my Weathertech matts in and they fit perfect as we thought they would.

Moon roof squeak. Mine has it, so did my titanium. Thought this would be fixed a year later but apparently not.

Sync would not pair with my ipod. I gave up. Will try again tomorrow.

Hood gap was fine, no concerns but the dings and dents in the air intake just blew my mind. Salesman took me over to the service department and parts were ordered to repair it.

Two small chips on the lower rear bumper where the lights nicked the paint.

No cup holders.

I was ok with everything but the air intake being dented up. I've never heard of this or seen it until today and was in shock when I opened the hood that it could have been delivered that way.

#29 ·

Reactions: Durp
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.