Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while in Boston today I was going over the ST2 with a fine tooth comb and I noticed this plastic shield underneath the engine. I'm assuming it's there for aerodynamic purposes. All I could think though was what a pain in the ass oil changes are going to be with this thing there. :) I didn't know it was there so I thought I'd point it out to let everyone else know.

WP_000777.jpg

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Yup. Have something like that on my 2012. It's not that hard to remove. I think it also helps reduce road noise. Some even channel air to cool the car.

My wife's Explorer has an air intake underneath that funnels air or cool the alternator. My Fusion had the same system, extra air intake to. Ool the alternator

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it was used in conjunction with the shutters in the front. Didn't look hard to remove, just annoying :) Something else I need to worry about keeping clean lol

·
Registered
894 Posts
This can't be more difficult to remove than the one I have on my current VW. The brilliant German engineers decided to use two different size Torx screws in hold it in place, three T30s in the back and eight T25s on the sides. Now THAT is a PITA. I hope Ford has done something more simple. '

In fact, one of the things I most curious about with this car is the comparison between Ford and VW's approach to little things like this. My impression has always been that American cars are easier to work on, but maybe that's a relic of the past.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked and I believe it's held in with bolts that could be removed with a standard screw driver. But without having the car up on ramps it's hard to say exactly. It's a joint German/USA design as I believe the RS team is based in Germany (could very well be wrong).

·
4,009 Posts
No, it's a bunch of little torx bits. I have to do a oil change on my car tomorrow and take some photos of the 2012 set up.

Reactions: oaxa

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, I don't have any good torx bits, I'll look forward to your photos Shomare.

·
4,009 Posts
Don't know that the 2012 and the ST are the same at this point but I'll post what I've got.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yea, its actually felt. Ive changed oil on my Ti twice now. Its easy to remove and very light. I believe as stated previously its that material for sound dampening reasons. Rear wheel wells are lined with it as well. My only concern, which hasn't happened on my Ti yet, is it getting water logged over time and sagging or pulling through the screws.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yea, its actually felt. Ive changed oil on my Ti twice now. Its easy to remove and very light. I believe as stated previously its that material for sound dampening reasons. Rear wheel wells are lined with it as well. My only concern, which hasn't happened on my Ti yet, is it getting water logged over time and sagging or pulling through the screws.
I wouldn't worry about it getting water logged over time, this appears to be the same material used on most European cars and I have yet to see any of the things you mentioned except for when somebody had pulled the material hard enough to pull it through the screws.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I hate these covers with a passion. My Mazda 'had' one, the pathetic screws went into those thin metal threaded clips which completely rusted and seized in no time. I had to cut and drill the damn things out to get the cover off and it's now attached with zip ties. PITA.

·
4,009 Posts
I hate these covers with a passion. My Mazda 'had' one, the pathetic screws went into those thin metal threaded clips which completely rusted and seized in no time. I had to cut and drill the damn things out to get the cover off and it's now attached with zip ties. PITA.
I can totally see that happening very quickly.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I could see this thing getting covered in snow during the winter if I have to drive through anything more than a few inches deep :-( Another reason I'm glad mine will be sleeping in the garage :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
They torx screws are a very course and deep thread that screw into nylon inserts so they won't rust. It takes longer to put the car up on my lift than it does to remove and install the shield.

It may look like felt but I believe it's a woven nylon material. My shows no signs of degradation after a New England winter.

On the plus side it keeps the bottom of the engine and tranny clean.

·
Registered
549 Posts
They torx screws are a very course and deep thread that screw into nylon inserts so they won't rust. It takes longer to put the car up on my lift than it does to remove and install the shield.

It may look like felt but I believe it's a woven nylon material. My shows no signs of degradation after a New England winter.

On the plus side it keeps the bottom of the engine and tranny clean.
Well this sounds promising! You talking about a regular Focus?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Regular Focus, there is no reason to expect it to be any different with the ST. The ST isn't a different car, it's just a different model of the same car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
saw this when i was searching skid plates a while ago...i now make them!!! They were fitted on my 2013 Ford Focus SE but will fit an ST as well - uses the stock hardware as well! just take your OEM piece off and replace it with this! its made out of 16ga aluminum and has oil change access holes! (i can also put doors on them with hinges as an option no additional charge)

I sell them for $169.95 this covers shipping to the lower 48 and paypal fee for your and my protection

my direct email is [email protected]
my direct contact phone is 507-226-5345 - i work a normal job 8-4 but can respond to calls after but can take texts or email all day.

I usually make them to order - lead time is currently under 1 week it will be shipped to you - email or PM me!! I usually have a few on hand and ship them out within a day or two of the order, if the demand is large it will be up to a week until shipment.

Also an active member of Focus Fanatics

1 - 20 of 29 Posts