Any recommendations? Size? Brand? etc.?

Also will be needing some winter wheels :thumb:

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts

·
4,009 Posts
Not a problem. I'm a bit nuts. As much as winter takes its toll on my car in these parts, the nastier it gets the better. Nothing more fun than driving snow covered back roads after a fresh snow.

i've also dabbled in some ice racing on frozen lakes. Not saying that I am putting my ST one the iceany time too soon, but I have been known to have enjoyed myself on by drive to a corner station. I think one time I missed imh station and had to go all the way around to get back to it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Basically Seattle weather here. Winter is November to end of Feb, so about 4 months, and on average about 2 to 5 days of snow, usually only a couple inches, turns to slush/rain pretty quick. With that in mind I'm thinking the Conti Extreme DWS which I have on my Mazda and it's excellent in snow, but is also very good in rain etc. But I want to run the summers the rest of the time for better grip (hopefully) and cornering.
I'm thinking I'll go with the 18" and grab some rims next spring so it's an easier swap next winter, plus I'll have some other rims for a different look.
Based on my area, I think it's the best plan, but part of me wrestles with the idea of getting Nokian's or some other winter tires just in case we get a snowier winter than expected, which does happen once every 5-6 years, and I like being better prepared for snow, but it seems like a big compromise for often months of driving with just rain.

·
4,009 Posts
So, what's the best all season / almost snow tire you can get. That's what I'd run

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering how bad the tires really will be in the snow. It'd be nice to have some downtime before I need to spend another grand or so.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Bad.

Testing on Ice: Winter / Snow vs. All-Season vs. Summer Tires

If you drive in snow/icy conditions, you greatly increase your chance of losing control and possibly crashing if you use a summer tire as opposed to a winter tire. You may get lucky for a while, but luck doesn't last forever. At some point you will need to stop suddenly or avoid an obstacle in the road. Summer tires won't be able to help you when this happens.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm wondering how bad the tires really will be in the snow. It'd be nice to have some downtime before I need to spend another grand or so.
I've used summer tires in November in Michigan... Don't play this game.
I didn't crash, but on multiple occasions I was completely unable to control the vehicle in conditions that even crummy all seasons were fine in. (the tires in question were BFG KDW 2's)

·
4,009 Posts
I've used summer tires in November in Michigan... Don't play this game.
I didn't crash, but on multiple occasions I was completely unable to control the vehicle in conditions that even crummy all seasons were fine in. (the tires in question were BFG KDW 2's)
Had to change your shorts did ya!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've found that even all seasons don't work worth shit when ya get over an inch of snow, especially in hilly situations. You factor in a small, sporty car, you'd be gambling heavily w/ more than your car.

Edit: And I've driven in enough harsh winters filled with Lake-effect snow storms to back this up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad this was brought up. Looks like I'd need at the very least a set of all-seasons. I'm in NW Indiana near Chicago.

I'm not as concerned with the grip issue as I am with the soft compound of the Goodyears turning to stone, which I guess go hand in hand.

Guess it's time to check out my options. Buying an extra set of wheels/tires wasn't in my original plan.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have been driving in New England winters for over 40 years. When I was younger i used studded snow tires. But when all season radials appeared on the seen I started using them and have never been in a situation that that I wished for dedicated snows.

The key to driving in slippery conditions is not over driving the available traction. Doesn't make any difference what tires you have, if you go too fast you will loose control.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Glad this was brought up. Looks like I'd need at the very least a set of all-seasons. I'm in NW Indiana near Chicago.

I'm not as concerned with the grip issue as I am with the soft compound of the Goodyears turning to stone, which I guess go hand in hand.

Guess it's time to check out my options. Buying an extra set of wheels/tires wasn't in my original plan.
That's a good idea with the cold mid-west winters you have. Just take it slower if you get any significant snowfall.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've never bought wheels before, but come November, I'm going to have to buy winter tires and wheels to go with them.
I've found wheel size calculators online, and I think I'd go with a 17” wheel for the winter season. But what width would be a good choice? For snow, I know a more narrow wheel is better, but I wouldn't always be driving on snow, even in winter.
And I don't know a damn thing about offset or the lug pattern on the ST to find a good set of wheels.
I'm actually a bit lost here. Lol.

Via iPad, or Tapatalk, or something like that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
And I don't know a damn thing about offset or the lug pattern on the ST to find a good set of wheels.
I'm actually a bit lost here. Lol.
Well I've been looking and from what I gather you've got 3 choices in wheel size (though I can't verify the actually fitment since there isn't any info I can find on clearances and such)...

16x6.5, 17x7.5 and 18x8.

The Conti EC DWS will set you back $712 for 4 tires in the 18's, for the regular Focus 5 door. I haven't found any rims yet, but that's another $500 at least for a set of 4 from what I can make of it. It ain't gonna be cheap for a winter set-up.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
You would be better off with the 16 or 17 winter which will save a lot of $

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 254 Posts