Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Roads have nothing to do with it, fat lazy Americans who want to drive around in a lazy boy and feel and hear nothing from the car, thats the problem.
Although I probably tend to share your worldview about fat, lazy Americans, my interest in going to 17" wheels and taller tires on an ST is due to my tiring of having to replace so many OEM-sized wheels and tires on my SVT - a problem which was solved by a switch to 16"s. I am neither fat nor lazy, but I am poor.

An improved ride was an unexpected bonus - and the creaky, groany, bangy, problematic suspension of your average SVTF needs all the help it can get.

·
Banned
88 Posts
The world calls us Fat and Dumb. We went to Mars and won the most in the *London* Olympic games AT THE SAME TIME.
Sweet, a handful of people did something, all Americans must be scientist super athletes..

And, on this note, not only will "smaller and taller" get you a better ride, but it will get you better fuel economy AND acceleration:

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver
Smaller and taller also gets you worse performance, how are you supposed to accelerate better with less traction? If you want a soft cushy ride don't buy a performance model.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Smaller and taller also gets you worse performance, how are you supposed to accelerate better with less traction? If you want a soft cushy ride don't buy a performance model.
I guess you didn't read the linked article?

Also, why do so many people who hit the track on the weekends use smaller wheels for racing?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If you really want to soften the ride, you can go with 215/55R16. This has almost identical outside tire dimensions as stock, but will provide a much softer ride due to the taller sidewall.

Will they fit over the brakes?
Yes. Please check page 17 of the 2013 Ford Focus ST Supplement which shows that not only is 215/55R16 an approved size by Ford, it is the required size according to Ford if you need to use snow chains.

Reactions: RMS

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Before this thread got interrupted with regionalist drivel...
... page 17 of the 2013 Ford Focus ST Supplement which shows that not only is 215/55R16 an approved size by Ford, it is the required size according to Ford if you need to use snow chains.
The supplement that he refers to is here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B71lKM0oSO2abTlpR3hGUUJFWDQ/edit?pli=1 ( Thanks, Unreal )

In addition to the 16 incher mentioned, the Ford supplement also suggests 235/45-17 and 215/50-17.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
BTW, tire rack now has rims for the ST. ( to see 17 inchers, you have to look under 'winter' instead of 'wheels', BUT they only show 17s that they believe will tolerate winter roads. There are others that will fit, that they sell, but won't show up. )

·
Registered
121 Posts
There's nothing wrong with wanting a ride that doesn't beat you to death. I've got three SCCA divisional titles in Formula Mazda and can appreciate what low profile tires can do for handling, but for my daily driver I don't want something that follows every groove in the road and I don't want to flat spot a rim every time I hit a pothole.

When the OEM tires wear out I plan to try Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I put these on my BMW 335 and they were like a miracle improvement. Granted, the 335 had run-flat rocks on it from the factory, but check the Tire Rack reviews on the Pilot SS and you'll see everyone raves about how well they ride, and they stick like glue too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
One odd note about this: the guy who handled the order at Tirerack was adamant about reminding me that the tires did not have the XL load range that the stock Goodyears have. I assured him that it was ok; I'm not doing autocross; I don't drive 3-digit speeds. Nonetheless, he informed me that they would have to fill them to 36 pounds. So they arrived, mounted on the 16 inch rims, with 36 pounds of pressure - which made the tread bulge in the middle. :S
I, of course, took several pounds out.

Apparently Tirerack thinks that the ST has enough power - or enough weight - to rip the new tires apart. Their legal department seems to think that they have to overfill a tire to cover their rears, even if it means delivering a tire to a customer in a condition that no sane driver would use.

·
Registered
685 Posts
The thing that makes me laugh about this thread, is that the Focus ST drives like a luxury car compared to the stiff suspension on my Trans Am, which rattled my teeth a few times on potholes for the last time when I traded it in yesterday. And the TA has much taller sidewalls on its 16" wheels.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts